bf says my house looks empty - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 12-13-2009, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gorgeous!

And I think it's just the huge empty spaces over the fireplaces that are making your friend feel like it's totally empty.
#32 of 48 Old 12-13-2009, 09:08 PM

Get some tape that doesn't damage paint and play around with different sized sheets of freezer paper. Let your kids draw pictures on them. Then you can use those sizes as a guideline for the scale and sort of arrangement that works well with your spaces.
#33 of 48 Old 12-13-2009, 10:20 PM

What about a huge mirror over the fireplace? No clutter, just light reflective.
#34 of 48 Old 12-13-2009, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the ideas everyone! keep um coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaucone View Post
What color is that blue? I LOVE it. It's what I wanted for our kids room, but I can't find exactly what I wanted.
Its called "charted voyage" its home depots "fresh aire" paint. no chemicals but expensive. 47 bucks a gal if i recall correctly

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#35 of 48 Old 12-13-2009, 10:49 PM

WOW!

Your house is amazing! It had such great bones a lot of people can't see past all the work needed. Great job, I think it looks fantastic!
#36 of 48 Old 12-13-2009, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow. What a gorgeous home! IMO, the fireplaces themselves are works of art, I love the mirror idea, though...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#37 of 48 Old 12-13-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg784 View Post
thanks for the ideas everyone! keep um coming!

Its called "charted voyage" its home depots "fresh aire" paint. no chemicals but expensive. 47 bucks a gal if i recall correctly
I love fresh aire and I was hoping that's what it was! Great. DH works there, I'll have him grab some!!! It was $37 when I got some for the living room a few months ago. But I was able to paint and my 3 year old was able to help me.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#38 of 48 Old 12-14-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscharm74 View Post
Are you happy with your house??? That is ALL that matters.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#39 of 48 Old 12-14-2009, 04:12 AM

I think that your living room and bedroom do look a bit naked but it's not bad, better than being cluttered! Your kitchen looks fantastic. All you really need is an area rug and a large piece of art on the walls or two and it would warm it up a bit. Looks like a great home. You've done an amazing job!

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#40 of 48 Old 12-14-2009, 07:29 PM

sg784, I don't think your house looks empty. There are a couple empty corners (the big area on the other side of the kitchen island) and the furniture arrangement is a little awkward (lined up couches in the living room) but not completely empty.

[Do you need some more storage for those extra pots and pans on the floor? Or are you in the midst of putting things away/decluttering? A hanging pot rack over the island might be nice if those are all keeper items.]

I don't even think the walls look bare. With all that color up there--what an improvement, by the way!--I think the walls look plenty filled up.

I would tweak the arrangement of the two collages over the living room fireplace so that they are both centered over it, even if they are hung at different heights.

I think the votives are fine, they probably look very pretty in the evening all lit up, but if you want something more, maybe cluster them all together on one end of the mantel with something stacked under two of them at different heights for variety. There's a design blog called The Nesting Place that has some really great tutorials on simple, use-what-you-got decorating and especially mantel pretty-fying.

If it were my house, I would move the loveseat into the empty corner in the kitchen area, to make a second sitting area for reading cookbooks or a place for friends to sit and visit while I'm cooking. Then I'd move the couch and coffee table closer in to the fireplace in the living room, so that the walking path goes around and behind the seating, rather than in front of it.

Can I say how much I love your kitchen fireplace?! It is just like the one in several of Tasha Tudor's Christmas books. Her family always set up their Nativity scene in the little kindling box area with votives and hay.

How lucky you are to have an old house! And what a great job you've done fixing it up. Congrats!

"For me, You have created the skies scattered with stars...and all the beautiful things on earth." ~St. Maximilian Kolbe
#41 of 48 Old 12-14-2009, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

we worked so hard on this place, its nice to hear others love it as much as i do. As hectic as it was tryin to get it liveable, it was worth every drop of sweat, every tear and every bicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hidden Life View Post
sg784, I don't think your house looks empty. There are a couple empty corners (the big area on the other side of the kitchen island) and the furniture arrangement is a little awkward (lined up couches in the living room) but not completely empty.

[Do you need some more storage for those extra pots and pans on the floor? Or are you in the midst of putting things away/decluttering? A hanging pot rack over the island might be nice if those are all keeper items.] The pot rack I wanted was almost 400 bucks and we ran out of "fix the house" money....DP insists he is going to build me one. ...Im hoping I dont have to live out of the green tote much longer....

I don't even think the walls look bare. With all that color up there--what an improvement, by the way!--I think the walls look plenty filled up.

I would tweak the arrangement of the two collages over the living room fireplace so that they are both centered over it, even if they are hung at different heights. Im going to try this. thanks

I think the votives are fine, they probably look very pretty in the evening all lit up, but if you want something more, maybe cluster them all together on one end of the mantel with something stacked under two of them at different heights for variety. There's a design blog called The Nesting Place that has some really great tutorials on simple, use-what-you-got decorating and especially mantel pretty-fying.

If it were my house, I would move the loveseat into the empty corner in the kitchen area, to make a second sitting area for reading cookbooks or a place for friends to sit and visit while I'm cooking. Then I'd move the couch and coffee table closer in to the fireplace in the living room, so that the walking path goes around and behind the seating, rather than in front of it.
I cant figure out what to do with that corner! I was thinking desk or something, but that radiator is right there in front of the window and Im not sure about putting anything in front of it. I dont even know the rules about steam radiators I just try and stay away from them. The new l iving room seating you suggest is a good idea. I felt like i didnt really have a choice with where i put them b/c the radiator is on one walll, the fireplace on the other and the 3rd wall is open to the kitchen. Darn radiators again. I guess I should google a bit about them and how to place stuff around them.
Can I say how much I love your kitchen fireplace?! It is just like the one in several of Tasha Tudor's Christmas books. Her family always set up their Nativity scene in the little kindling box area with votives and hay.

How lucky you are to have an old house! And what a great job you've done fixing it up. Congrats!
Thanks so much! we love love love it here. It was meant to be for sure.

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#42 of 48 Old 12-15-2009, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Your house is gorgeous! I want that kitchen!!! It's like 5 times the size of mine.

ITA with the others about the walls above the fireplaces- it would give the rooms more 'homier" looks with *something* there, but I also agree with the advice to do it slowly so you're not just 'filling up the space for the sake of filling it up."

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#43 of 48 Old 12-21-2009, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm a pictures person, but other putting up a whole bunch more pictures I think your house is about perfect.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#44 of 48 Old 12-26-2009, 06:17 PM

I would take "empty" to "cluttered" any day. ANytime I come home from a relative's house, I'm so happy for my "empty" home!!!!!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#45 of 48 Old 12-26-2009, 07:09 PM

Well I hate to be the pain in the butt person, but your Living room does not look cozy or warm. You dont need stuff lying around to have that feeling, so I dont understand some of the comments on this thread.

I cant figure out was is "missing" though. And if you are happy that is that matters.
#46 of 48 Old 12-26-2009, 08:02 PM

I love your house!

I think once you figure out what to do with your mantels and get some art work up on your walls it will warm your place up. It really is too bad you can't add some area rugs.

I would love to live someplace less cluttered. I am still working on it, but I must be making progress. One of my best friends thinks my house is too sparse, which I find funny cuz it is anything but sparse.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#47 of 48 Old 12-26-2009, 08:27 PM

Your home is lovely..I love the blue/red combination. I am not a decorator, per say, so my home looks boring to others because I simply do not have the knack to decorate it or maybe it is because it doesn't look like their cookie cutter homes??? If you love it, then live it. I find as I get more settled in, new ideas come to my mind and it is just a matter of moving this or that. I think people get into their heads that we all need to live in a Pottery Barn et all catalog and that is just not doable not wanted by a lot of people.
#48 of 48 Old 12-27-2009, 02:32 PM

We painted my daughter's room that vivid color! It's called "Sea Life" (the style we used). I loooooove how your bright yellow bananas provide a splash of color. I think your house is lovely. Splurge every now and then to put fresh, bright flowers in a glass vase, like a pop of red or yellow. Lovely!

eta I just got a wall pot rack/bookshelf for $50-60, not $400.

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page