bf says my house looks empty - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 10-24-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My best friend came to see the house and said "youneed more furniture...your house still looks really empty" (last time she saw it it was undergoing serious construction we hadnt moved in yet)

um...we have a kitchen table, chairs, a couch, loveseat, coffee table, bookcase, bed, bureau, and rocking chair. Thats whats on my floors in the kitchen, dr, lr and br.

wht else am i supposed to have? i dont need tons of "stuff"!!

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#2 of 48 Old 10-24-2009, 02:07 PM

I remember when we moved into our home & said, "we'll never have enough stuff to fill it up." Out of the mouths of babes....I ishe I could go back to empty.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#3 of 48 Old 10-24-2009, 03:00 PM

Does she have furniture she's trying to get rid of and she wants to palm it off on you, or something?
#4 of 48 Old 10-24-2009, 03:02 PM

Is her house really cluttered so to her your house looks sparse?

jog.gifkid.gif

#5 of 48 Old 10-24-2009, 03:19 PM

Do you have pictures or art on the walls? Area rugs or Houseplants? It might not be that you have too little furniture, just that she sees open space on the walls and it tricks her into thinking it is the furniture.

Just a thought..

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#6 of 48 Old 10-24-2009, 03:21 PM

Sometimes it's not furniture that makes a place look lived in, it's accessories. Do you have carpet or hard floors? If hard floors, maybe consider a couple of area rugs. Are your walls bare? Definitely put up some artwork, even if it is just a "modern art" piece that you DIY with your decorating colors on some cheap canvas.
#7 of 48 Old 10-24-2009, 03:23 PM

Oh, another thought-- is your friend disabled, or very skinny or very fat, or something? Might there be an issue with her finding a comfortable place to sit?

There's nothing wrong with the minimalist look, if that's your style.
#8 of 48 Old 10-24-2009, 03:28 PM

Are you happy with your house??? That is ALL that matters.
#9 of 48 Old 10-24-2009, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

nak at some of the the responses probably the accessories thing...nothing is hanging up yet on the walls, I have a few house plants, but yeah, my walls are prty bare and we have hardoods with no rugs. dp hates rugs *whine....i dont want to hang up any of my pictures or paintings...im so in love with my paint job ( busted my butt paintin this whole place 40-43 w pregnant)

#10 of 48 Old 10-24-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscharm74 View Post
Are you happy with your house??? That is ALL that matters.
THIS!!!

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#11 of 48 Old 10-25-2009, 01:08 AM

Can you PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE post pictures? I'd love to see your place. Perhaps you can give some of us way-too-cluttered and every-inch-of-walls-and-floors-are-covered mamas some decluttering inspiration?

I also found this video of Oprah touring a supposedly typical Danish home very enlightening. Perhaps you can watch it, and show your friend?

http://www.oprah.com/media/20091021-...tine-home-tour
#12 of 48 Old 10-25-2009, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post
Can you PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE post pictures? I'd love to see your place. Perhaps you can give some of us way-too-cluttered and every-inch-of-walls-and-floors-are-covered mamas some decluttering inspiration?
I been trying to do this for weeks! i never have more than 2 min at a time at the computer.....I'll get to it, I promise! I still need to write out my last birthstory!

#13 of 48 Old 10-25-2009, 01:10 PM

I just wanted to say Congrats. I wish my house looked empty

My mother might die when she gets here and sees that I only have three pics on the wall. Wheras here house doesn't have an empty space to hang anything.
#14 of 48 Old 10-25-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:

I also found this video of Oprah touring a supposedly typical Danish home very enlightening. Perhaps you can watch it, and show your friend?

I just watched that video. I don't know if I like it that bare, she probably puts everything away right after they're done. Which sounds like a good idea, but I like the whole pillows and blankets look on the bed. Definitely something to keep in mind when I am cleaning.
#15 of 48 Old 10-25-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:

I want to live there! The kids room is like a tree fort with that huge window!

The house is slightly more sparse than I would have it if it was my house but, Oh, it's totally my ideal.

OP, I'm jelous that you have a house that looks empty.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#16 of 48 Old 10-25-2009, 04:19 PM

i'd love to see pictures too - it probably looks good! i bet our house looks emptyish to some people, but i think it's just what you like. my mil has furniture along every wall, knicknacks everywhere you look, countertops covered with stuff. literally there is something wherever there is a space. it's clean, but i would still feel really claustrophobic like that.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#17 of 48 Old 10-25-2009, 05:05 PM

that was a cool video! that home was a bit sparse for me too tho--maybe it was just too much white? I am a big fan of huge artwork on the walls

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#18 of 48 Old 10-25-2009, 05:58 PM

My house looks a bit empty, too. We do have furniture, and plenty of "stuff" but my walls are pretty bare, and all white. I'd love to actually decorate, I just don't know where to start.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#19 of 48 Old 10-25-2009, 06:25 PM

i really like the empty house feeling, but i also like a cozy house, so its a bit if a balance. i think its partly how you grew up maybe.. i grew up in a cluttery house and i have this tenancy to fall into it, but i also have this part of me that is really trying to fight that! and its hard! my mom would come visit and say, oh you need this and this and this and then bring things even when i said NO! and so im constantly trying to get rid of things. i try to keep my bedroom as decluttered and bare as possible, because with 3 kids i find it hard to keep the rest of the house that way.

i would love to see it too!

ETA: im so jealous of those of you with bare white walls.. my charming home is almost 100% wood paneled and my dear land lady will not allow me to paint. it drives me crazy!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#20 of 48 Old 10-25-2009, 09:07 PM

If you value your minimalist style, take your bf's comment as a compliment! But, if part of you tends to agree with what was said, maybe add some area rugs, artwork, table lamps and candles. You certainly don't have to add very many things. Over the past couple of months, I have felt like I had to add a few things...I think I was taking my minimalist style a little too far!

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#21 of 48 Old 10-25-2009, 09:31 PM

I definitely think it is a balance and that balance is different for everyone. I visited a friend of a friends one time and she went on about how cozy it was and all that. The place was a total wreck to me and all it did was make me want to clean. Now, I admit my house is currently not as cozy as I want it to be- although there are certain rooms done. But I refuse to buy things to put on the wall unless it is something I love. And I only have so much money at a time to truly do things like I want them. But it is a work in progree and the big thing is to do it how your family wants.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#22 of 48 Old 10-25-2009, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Our house looks empty right now too. We just moved in from a house that had heaps of built-in storage, so buying bookshelves, a hutch dresser, bedside tables etc needs to happen pretty soon. In the meantime, all the unstored stuff is in moving boxes in the spare room and the rest of the house looks pretty bare.

Our "problem" is that neither DH nor I want to buy cheap make-do furniture, lest we get used to it and forget to buy nice stuff and end up living in semi-squalor like I did growing up. But we're also not rich enough to buy nice furniture new, so I scour TradeMe (NZ's Ebay-type deal) and second-hand stores, willing to wait for a good find. In the meantime, I like having the extra space for Rowan to run around in, and the bareness doesn't bug me unduly. It annoys the heck out of my mother though.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#23 of 48 Old 12-13-2009, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

so...here are some before and after pictures
before
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2686691...7622864158843/

after
http://flickr.com/gp/26866917@N06/rbB7xA

#24 of 48 Old 12-13-2009, 12:20 PM

I love the colors in your home! I don't think it looks like you need more furniture but, IMO, some of your accessories are just a little small. I love the votives on your mantels but the proportion seems off. Same with the collage of photos (also gorgeous, btw). It's a lot of wall space to take up. I would concentrate on getting some wall art up to warm up the space. But, no, it doesn't look empty to me! All those great colors and the black sofa really anchors the living room nicely.

I am, btw, totally loving your kitchen. My goodness, it's gorgeous!

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#25 of 48 Old 12-13-2009, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningmama View Post
I love the colors in your home! I don't think it looks like you need more furniture but, IMO, some of your accessories are just a little small. I love the votives on your mantels but the proportion seems off. Same with the collage of photos (also gorgeous, btw). It's a lot of wall space to take up. I would concentrate on getting some wall art up to warm up the space. But, no, it doesn't look empty to me! All those great colors and the black sofa really anchors the living room nicely.

I am, btw, totally loving your kitchen. My goodness, it's gorgeous!

Omg I know! I cant think of anything to put on the mantle! I dont want it "cluttered" but i dont know what to put! I had a small box of votives and no place to put it so thats where it went. I have 3 mantles and no clue what to put there. And behind my black couches are al my paintings/pictures/art etc. I dont know where toput them. on the walls duh, but i just cant figure out how to put stuff so it looks "in place". its all the decor from my apartment and the colors/themes are so different. I need a interior designer lol

#26 of 48 Old 12-13-2009, 01:26 PM

Lovely, lovely home! I think it looks great as if and figure that the longer you live there, the more little additional touches you will add. If I were you though, I would add a few more paintings on the walls (perhaps even children's paintings, framed?) and I'd add a bunch of candle-type accessories all around the house and that's it.
#27 of 48 Old 12-13-2009, 01:49 PM

if your friend thinks your house looks empty, she should come to my place! your house is beautiful and i think it has a great simplicity.
i personally dont like to have a ton of art on the walls just to fill things up, i think things should be added gradually and really be worth hanging. so i have a lot of empty wall space in my house!
your place looks great!
#28 of 48 Old 12-13-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg784 View Post
What color is that blue? I LOVE it. It's what I wanted for our kids room, but I can't find exactly what I wanted.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#29 of 48 Old 12-13-2009, 03:32 PM

I love your house. It doesn't look too bare to me.

I love bare walls though. Whenever a particular friend of mine comes over, she goes on about how I need to get pictures on my living room walls. I already have 3 tall bookcases, a curio cabinet on the wall, my computer desk with hutch and the tv unit invading the high wall space in the room. I like the clean and clear walls as contrast. I hate the crowded in feeling I get when there's stuff everywhere, even all the walls. Whenever I go to that friend's house, I feel like throwing out half the stuff I see in her living/dining room, yet somehow I avoid expressing that to her.

I do have pictures in my hallway and in the kids' rooms though, plus smaller ones on the book shelves.
#30 of 48 Old 12-13-2009, 06:31 PM

Love the colors...and the shower curtain! LOL. I don't think it looks bare at all. I think it looks clean and organized. But I'm not a big one for clutter and knicknacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg784 View Post
Omg I know! I cant think of anything to put on the mantle! I dont want it "cluttered" but i dont know what to put! I had a small box of votives and no place to put it so thats where it went. I have 3 mantles and no clue what to put there.
I was there when we moved last year. I went from 1 mantle to 4. I tried putting up what I had on the old mantle (3 colored vases) but the scale was way off. It can be hard but eventually you'll see something, love it and it will work. But um...yeah, the votives not so much.

Hanging art takes time. We've been here a year and we've hung two pictures - and those were in the last month. Take your time and do it right instead of rushing and hating it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page