Need to de-clutter. May be evicted... *pics added post #85* - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 181 Old 10-30-2009, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
brymommy, I didn't think of checking to see if it was evictable but it might be a good idea to check with them (which I didn't end up doing this week) just to let the landlord know that I know my rights. I definitely think I will let them know that I cleaned it up because I had been meaning too, but that they may have overstepped their bounds. Good point.

Thanks mamas for all of the support. It has made a world of difference in keeping at it to come on here and read all of the encouragement. I still feel like I have so far to go to get it all really under control. I have a pile of clutter on my kitchen table that will need to be weeded out, a pile of papers on top of my tv cabinet, and a monstrous pile of laundry in my bedroom and a mountain of clutter in the basement. It is getting there, and I am pretty much done what the landlord asked for (with the exception of mopping), but I really want to get it all done.

I am thinking that I will keep gathering things to donate to the Salvation Army but I am going to keep the trash bags down to only what will fit in my bin each week until it is under control. I just can't live with trash bags filling my kitchen again. I am so grateful they are gone, and it was like Christmas to come home today to see them all gone from the curb, but I can't do that again until after the inspection at least.

On a bright note, I have a good friend and her son coming over tomorrow night to spend the night and I actually have a really nice space for them to stay!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 181 Old 10-31-2009, 09:08 AM

Read the rental contract, I wonder if there is something about keeping the apartment "reasonably clean" in your contract. I had an apartment building that had that in their contract (although with them it was because cockroaches was a HUGE problem in that town and they wanted to do their best to keep the little pests away). No matter what Im sorry they are being such pains but you did an OUTSTANDING job! The place looks great.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#123 of 181 Old 10-31-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, the cleaning spree goes on....

This morning I woke up and put away the mountain of laundry that I had at the foot of my bed that was clean, gathered up all of the dirty laundry, put it in bags and brought it out to the car to go to the laundromat (although I still haven't made it there yet), and now that DS is asleep for a nap, I am hoping to get the kitchen cleaned up/de-cluttered (at least on the surface). I really feel like I am on a roll and want to keep going with it.

I am definitely waiting until the last minute to do the floors to have them shiny clean when they come to inspect on Tuesday.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#124 of 181 Old 10-31-2009, 04:21 PM

I've had my house get bad but it feels so good when you finally get rid of the clutter. So much more relaxing. It takes a while to develop better habits but I think that's all part of growing up. This board helps a lot. I also like to take pictures of my kids and it motivates me to clean up because I don't want to take pictures of them with a gross background! Great job.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#125 of 181 Old 10-31-2009, 05:07 PM

I have been checking in, but not posting.

I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH YOU HAVE GOTTEN ACCOMPLISHED!!!

You have truly motivated me to get my house in order Pumpkin Pie!! I love the joy in your DS's face too!

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#126 of 181 Old 10-31-2009, 05:13 PM

I know that so many other moms have said this, but I can't help but agree....you kicked BUTT!!!! The place looks great.....I can't imagine how relieved and proud you must feel!!! Sit back, relax, and enjoy a cup of tea And by the way, you have a seriously cute kid!
#127 of 181 Old 11-01-2009, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I had to laugh today, my kitchen counters are a disaster, they look a bit like your sons room did only with kitchen stuff. Today I looked at it and thought about what you did on your own with no help. It inspired me to clean one half of the counter space and I hope to attack the other side tomorrow

Seriously?
#128 of 181 Old 11-01-2009, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
I had to laugh today, my kitchen counters are a disaster, they look a bit like your sons room did only with kitchen stuff. Today I looked at it and thought about what you did on your own with no help. It inspired me to clean one half of the counter space and I hope to attack the other side tomorrow
You can do it!!!!

#129 of 181 Old 11-01-2009, 10:06 AM

I think what you did was amazing! I have a friend whose rental contract wasn'r renewed because her space was such a mess. The landlords started talking about it 3 mos before the contract was up, and she never was able to get it together to clean, so she lost a really beautiful space. Good for you and your motivation! Your ds looks like a shiny, clean star you unearthed in your pics!!
#130 of 181 Old 11-01-2009, 10:17 AM

wow you really are insperatation my house too looks like it's been hit by a bomb but now instead of thinking i just can't do it i will think YES I CAN GET HOUSE TIDY, MY HOUSE WILL BE SORTED IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
Ok, here goes nothing:

These are the before pictures of the book cases that were on my upstairs landing. Here is the pic looking up from the first floor and here is the pic looking down from the second floor. And here it is now!

These are the before pictures from the landing of my basement stairs. This is one side and this is the other. I moved these book cases into DS's room and the food into the basement. Here is the landing now!

Here is the "after" picture of the basement. (I am not ready to show anyone the before pics of the rest of the basement yet... ) These are the book cases from the upstairs landing with the canned/dry goods from the basement landing. Much more organized! You can actually see the stain on the floor from the laundry detergent spill in the after pic. It isn't quite so dark in real life. Not sure how to get the stain off, but the floor is clean and dry. It is an unfinished basement, so I don' think the landlord will freak out. At least the soap is all up.

Here are the before pics of DS's bedroom. Here is the bed (if you can believe one is under there). Here is the closet. Here is the area by the window. Here is the wall by the door. And here is the finished room with the bed and closet! And here is the part of the room by the window and the part by the door!!! The books on those smaller book cases (from the basement landing that had food on them) contain all of the books that I kept from the very large book cases on the upstairs landing. All of the other books in the pics above were donated to the Salvation Army.

I don't know if I should be ahamed that it got this bad, or proud that it is cleaned up, but I am so insanely happy that it is nearly done.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#131 of 181 Old 11-01-2009, 01:57 PM

WOW!!! I am so amazed at all the work you've done! I hope that you feel proud. Love the before/after pics... doesn't that stairwell wall (where the bookcases were) just call out for a wallhanging or picture of some kind?

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#132 of 181 Old 11-01-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
Love the before/after pics... doesn't that stairwell wall (where the bookcases were) just call out for a wallhanging or picture of some kind?
I was actually thinking the same thing, I see a really large rectangle shaped painting and a plant on a stand in the corner

Seriously?
#133 of 181 Old 11-01-2009, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Pumpkin Pie, you must feel absolutely amazing! When I saw the pics of the bedroom, I was amazed that you did all that in one night! You rock on so many levels! You are strong and resourceful, and such a great example to your little boy. I really loved viewing the before/after pics. Thanks so much for posting them.

The little things left to do are now truly little things. I assure you that your landlord will be impressed with all that you've accomplished. You went above and beyond his list, and you did all the extra work for yourself, which is the absolute best reason to do it--because you know you can and you want to have an uncluttered home.

So many congratulations on a job well done. :j oy

Thanks for being the inspiration to so many.
#134 of 181 Old 11-01-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

I actually have a really beautiful painting done by a good friend of mine that I want to hang on that landing wall. I would love to put a plant on a stand there, but the landlord said nothing on the landings, so I can't put one there until after the inspection. I might do one after that though, and just move it when they come to inspect in the future.

I was also thinking of buying cheap frames and putting DS's artwork in them for the walls in the basement around that landing. It just looks so bare on both landings now.

#135 of 181 Old 11-01-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
I actually have a really beautiful painting done by a good friend of mine that I want to hang on that landing wall. I would love to put a plant on a stand there, but the landlord said nothing on the landings, so I can't put one there until after the inspection. I might do one after that though, and just move it when they come to inspect in the future.

I was also thinking of buying cheap frames and putting DS's artwork in them for the walls in the basement around that landing. It just looks so bare on both landings now.
Did he specify the landing FLOOR? Or the landing period? I'm thinking cute little shelf below the picture on which to put small plants You still get your plants and there's nothing to scratch his floors

Seriously?
#136 of 181 Old 11-01-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Did he specify the landing FLOOR? Or the landing period? I'm thinking cute little shelf below the picture on which to put small plants You still get your plants and there's nothing to scratch his floors
Ooooooohhhhh! I love that idea! I am going to stop by our local salvage store tomorrow after work! I would love to put a few small pictures in frames and a small plant below the painting.

Thanks for the idea!

#137 of 181 Old 11-01-2009, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It looks amazing! Awesome job!

I need you to come do mine. I used to be such a simplicity-freak but things have been crazy.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#138 of 181 Old 11-01-2009, 09:27 PM

Way to go, Mama!!!! You did a wonderful job!

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#139 of 181 Old 11-01-2009, 11:15 PM

wow pumpkin, your posts just seem to hit home with me recently... im a newly single mama with a 2yo son, and i just got a job at a daycare.... ive always been a messy person and a pack rat, but with the start of my new job and trying to do everything by myself, things got completely out of control, and my house was a pigsty.... my dad came to visit for a few days last week and ended up cleaning my kitchen and living/dining room while i was at work.... theres still a lot that needs to be done, but having those 2 main areas of the house mostly clean feels amazing. now i just need to be able to stay on top of things, and work on the everyday stuff and general upkeep.... and thaTs the hard part for me

you did an AMAZING job. i cant wait to hear how the inspection goes

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#140 of 181 Old 11-01-2009, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

And it goes on.....

Today I started scrubbing the kitchen floor while DS napped. It got down on hands and knees and really SCRUBBED. It was so bad.... I did about 1/2 of it and will do the rest tomorrow evening. I still need to sweep the rest of the house too, but that will only take about 10 minutes.

I also did the mountain of laundry tonight. I took it to the laundromat and it was 4 of the quadruple loaders. I folded it all, and actually put every single thing away which is a record for me. I have never put laundry away as I did it, especially when there is a TON from going to the laundromat. Poor DS was begging me to go to bed, but I was like, "No sweetie, Mama needs to put the laundry away so we have a clean house!" He keeps commenting on how clean the house is, which makes me giggle every time. I am trying to get him to help though, so hopefully he will grow up wanting to live in a neat and clean space rather than a mess like it was for so long.

Oh, I also cleaned the bathroom again! Woo Hoo!!! I took my little scrubbie cloths and went over the sink, toilet, and around the edges of the floor and tub. I was amazed that I went through 4 of them and they were FILTHY. Granted, I was going over things a bit more carefully than when I initially cleaned it, but still, that is a lot of dirt accumulating.

Hooray for new projects tackled and cleaning kept up on!!!

#141 of 181 Old 11-01-2009, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
awesome

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#142 of 181 Old 11-02-2009, 07:17 AM

Terrific!

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#143 of 181 Old 11-02-2009, 12:41 PM

Awesome, awesome job, Momma!
#144 of 181 Old 11-02-2009, 01:35 PM

WOW! You have done a terrific job so far--way to go!

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#145 of 181 Old 11-02-2009, 02:29 PM

Just chiming in to say that you've done an AMAZING job! Keep it up Your landlord is going to be amazed tomorrow.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#146 of 181 Old 11-02-2009, 04:34 PM

Wow- you are such an inspiration!! You have given your son (and yourself ) such a huge gift.
You must feel SOOO proud of yourself- it's such an amazing transformation! The before and after from your son's bedroom was INCREDIBLE!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#147 of 181 Old 11-02-2009, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Annnnnnnnnnnnndddddd DONE!!! (at least according to my landlord's list)

I finished scrubbing the kitchen floors tonight, although I am really tired, so I didn't do as good of a job as I would have liked, but the landlord only specified that all floors be swept and mopped with clean water. I swept the rest of the house and spot cleaned the hardwood floors where they had a spot on them. There really is never any food anywhere else other than the kitchen and if I do take food anywhere else and anything hits the floor, I generally clean it up immediately. We also don't wear shoes in the house, so nothing is really tracked anywhere either, so the floors look great!

I still have a little clutter on the kitchen table, that I might try to tackle tomorrow before heading out for work, and a few dishes in the sink, but really, I think it is pretty good. I just don't have the energy to put any more into it tonight and absolutely everything on his list is done, so I am not going to stress about it.

#148 of 181 Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
#149 of 181 Old 11-03-2009, 08:11 AM

I am SO impressed. Wow.
#150 of 181 Old 11-03-2009, 09:06 AM

You rock! Good luck today with the landlord, but with all the work you did I don't think you need it!

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page