Black, Grey and White - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I am considering going to all grey, black and white clothing for winter. I would need approximately 5 pairs pants 7 shirts and 2 sweaters. I could add a pop of color with a cool scarf or shoes. I think it would be so freeing to grab and not think about what I am wearing. In the summer I might use white, black and teal. I am sincerely considering this.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love doing something like that BUT I would want some red/jeans..I couldn't live without jeans!! But it is def. a good base of a wardrobe

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 10-27-2009, 09:55 PM

It depends on how young your children are. Do they wipe their faces on your shirt still? (Ewww, I know but it's the reality of young ones!) If so, I would get some patterned tops in there too but keeping to your color scheme is a great way to make your wardrobe stretch!

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
Old 10-27-2009, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Think hannah andersson stockholm collection.

I think I would keep jeans. You can put white or black with jeans.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:49 PM

Hmm, it would be a little blah for me. How about doing that for the pants and sweaters (and as someone else said jeans are basic and will work instead of basic pants, esp. if you get a dark wash). Then for the tops I'd get colours. You'll still be able to match since only one outfit element will be coloured, but it will be a little more fun. And I've gotta admit, after so many gray, wintery days, I just need a pick-me-up.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:59 PM

Honestly, my first reaction was just depressing - like in mourning.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:06 AM

I actually do this with my wardrobe year round. I add my signature color of pink and the occasional turquoise. Jeans are also important but I love that I can have a mix and match closet. This is especially important for my corporate wear. Also, add color with your shoes...again...I use my signature color.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:48 AM

This is actually very similar to my wardrobe. I'm not super regimented in specifics, but I lean towards neutrals. My wardrobe is made up of mainly jeans, white, cream, caramel, camel, grey, charcoal, platinum, silver, chocolate brown, and black. I throw in splashes of color....red, blue, green, etc. I have a few plaid cashmere scarves and I live in down vests with faux fur-lined collars in the winter.

I wear the same diamond & platinum wedding/engagement rings and earrings every day as well.

It's very easy grab & go. I'm a SAHM with a small business from home so I don't need any corporate type of clothing at all

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
Old 10-28-2009, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

I think it would be easy for me too. I am a part time scrub nurse. Walk into hospital, change into hospital issued scrubs, end of day change out and drive home. Eighty percent of the time I am home.My kids are 9, 12 and 15. I doubt any will rub their faces on my shirt But oh do I remember the days of boogers and baby food.

I ordered some stuff online and when it comes I am gonna lay it all out and see what I think. I have noticed I gravitate to those pieces I already have in my closet.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:22 AM

I did this years ago when I first graduated college and was working full time. Everything was black, white, or khaki and a few things with a punch of red (and jeans of course!) It made things so super simple. I've actually thought about going back to that recently because its so easy and elegant. I looked great everywhere I went and my closet looked fab because I hung everything by color.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:13 AM

I finally had to start saying no to most black or grey items. I have a dog and cat, and it is simply impossible, despite all attempts at cleaning to keep a hair free house or car, and I always just end up looking messy when I wear black.

Grey tends to work out fine, but then I need black or grey shoes and whatnot as well.

So I've been going with browns/tans/khakis (plus jeans) and it works out great for me.

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:38 AM

i think you could totally do this but do you really need five pairs of pants? do you only wear pants once before washing them? presumably you already have one pair of black or gray pants, so just add two more, i'd say. you also probably have some shirts and maybe a sweater that can fit in with this, so wouldn't need to shop for all of that. do you not wear skirts or dresses? i rarely wear dresses even though my nursling is now 2.5 years, but i would want a couple of skirts and thick tights for winter. i'd also want one jacket as an alternative to a sweater if i wanted to feel a little more put together.

i really like this idea. however, if you don't currently have any pieces that would work for your winter wardrobe, then seriously question whether this is your style.

(and just for fun - for me it would be black, brown and denim, and pretty much already is that, but i wear very colorful jewelry, outerwear, shoes and bags!)
Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 AM

oh yeah, do a google image search for sofia coppola. she wears almost exclusively black and white, with some gray and almost zero other colors, ever. most photos that turn up will be of her dressed up for an event, but there are also candid shots of her on the street on normal days. she's very stylish.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Actually i have two pair of grey pants and a black one. A couple of tees and long sleeved tees also in white, black or grey. I ordered a few more pieces to add to it. I think a fun printy clog or a funky scarf would add the color.

I never wear skirts or dresses. I just don't have occasion. Very few women here wear them, unless in a business setting or to church. Pretty much jeans or yoga pants are standard.

I love the hannah anderssen look. Right now I can't afford things from her. I am trying to find pieces that look like hers only cheaper. Especially the clogs. Oh the clogs...lol
Old 10-29-2009, 12:11 AM

I had dressed like this for awhile, then went on a HUGE color binge ( oh, the pink! And lots of other colors that don't even look gooood on me!!!) and have just started redoing my wardrobe to go back to mainly neutrals and a few colors that look good with my skin coloring.

My palette is a bit broader...black, gray, white, ivory, khaki ( pants only) red, purple, plum, dark blue, burgandy, dark green, olive, moss.

I am still pulling out pink stuff to put in the Goodwill box.

I love the idea of neutrals with splashes of color. Also simple, classic jewelry can add some interest. And scarves, pins, belts, shoes...those can be used as accents.

Classic and neutral doesn't have to be dull at all.

Have fun!

I have to have jeans, too.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 10-29-2009, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess my main question is: do black, grey and white look good on you? Often they look best on people with higher contrast colouring. If you're not sure, ask some trusted friends. Black and white have a "deadening" look on me. I can wear black on the bottom, but I've decided not to wear black tops/coats/scarves, etc. because they don't suit my colouring. Black is so practical, but I often see women wearing it who don't look that great . My sister can wear black -- she has fairly striking colouring with very dark brown hair, light skin, and light blue eyes.

I think the principle of having a neutral wardrobe with colour accent is a sound one -- just pick your neutrals carefully!

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
I guess my main question is: do black, grey and white look good on you? Often they look best on people with higher contrast colouring. If you're not sure, ask some trusted friends. Black and white have a "deadening" look on me. I can wear black on the bottom, but I've decided not to wear black tops/coats/scarves, etc. because they don't suit my colouring. Black is so practical, but I often see women wearing it who don't look that great . My sister can wear black -- she has fairly striking colouring with very dark brown hair, light skin, and light blue eyes.

I think the principle of having a neutral wardrobe with colour accent is a sound one -- just pick your neutrals carefully!
This is VERY true! Black doesn't look particularly good on me either (it's too severe) so I wear a lot of chocolate brown instead.....for me it's the new black! lol! The only time I wear black is if I'm dressed up for an event....black seems to work for me in more 'formal wear'. Otherwise I'm in my color pallette listed above in my previous post.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
Old 10-29-2009, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You've described my wardrobe (especially work-related clothes) for many, many years. A couple of years ago, I made a conscientious effort to buy clothes in colours and patterns (even florals!!). I felt like my youth has slipped away...

Despite my best efforts, I still tend to dress in dark neutrals. It's easy, classic, and generally wears better. I find an old patterned shirt or sweater tends to look more worn-out and tired than the same aged simple solid neutral one.

I think your strategy has a lot of merit.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
You've described my wardrobe (especially work-related clothes) for many, many years. A couple of years ago, I made a conscientious effort to buy clothes in colours and patterns (even florals!!). I felt like my youth has slipped away...

Despite my best efforts, I still tend to dress in dark neutrals. It's easy, classic, and generally wears better. I find an old patterned shirt or sweater tends to look more worn-out and tired than the same aged simple solid neutral one.
I think your strategy has a lot of merit.
Count me in.

OP - it is, for me anyway, extremely freeing.

The bulk or base of my clothing is black, navy, tan, brown on the bottom and white, cream, tan and grey on the top. One of my favorite combos is black pants and a good quality and well fitting grey T on top with silver jewlery. It is comfy but looks sharp.

I do have colored shirts and all those shirts match every pair of bottoms I own. I have some colored sweaters but again, they go with every bottom.

I mix it up with scarves on occasion or a really great classic, like a red cashmere sweater. (Said sweater is at least 3 years old and will last another 3 or more.)

I also find the bolded statement to be true.

I saw some patterned shirts on Lands End I liked for fall but when it came right down to it, I knew I didn't want or need something that was

1.) too memorable to wear once a week
2.) would only work with tan pants, in this case
3.) I likely won't want to wear next winter/fall.

For years, I thought anything that wasn't 100% natural fiber was awful. Now I have come to the realization that fabric that is blended with other materials like nylon or whatever is wonderful as the colors hold true, resists wrinkles, and lasts longer.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 10-29-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

My hair is medium to dark brown (this is subject to change, I like to experiment), I have fair skin and bright green eyes. I tend to wear silver jewelry in the form of necklaces, if dressing up.

I seem to remember a few yrs back didn't a lady wear a black dress for like a year and just changed the accessories? maybe not the same one but a black dress every day? I will have to google that.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:23 PM

Oh, I remember reading about that! It was the exact same dress, every day for a year. I think it was brown though.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:29 PM

One more thing, don't forget to look at the texture of the clothing as well. For tops, I like a little frill here and there. Details can make the clothing, even in a simple basic wardrobe color. Look at J. Crew and Ann Taylor Loft to get some ideas and then see what can work for you. Also, quality of quantity. I don't wear heavy sweaters but I found a beautiful soft grey cashmere one that is OH LA LA Heaven!!!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
I am considering going to all grey, black and white clothing for winter. I would need approximately 5 pairs pants 7 shirts and 2 sweaters. I could add a pop of color with a cool scarf or shoes. I think it would be so freeing to grab and not think about what I am wearing. In the summer I might use white, black and teal. I am sincerely considering this.

Any thoughts?
I love it! Perhaps because it resembles my wardrobe? I really like wearing neutrals (with pops of color here and there...in fact, I just purchased myself two brightly colored scarves earlier this week and I have been eying a pair of leopard print ballet flats...I am still on the look-out for well-fitting jeans). Most of my wardrobe consists of blacks, greys, and browns with an assortment of accent colors. I usually dislike patterned clothing. I like this sort of wardrobe because it hastens getting dressed each morning, simplifies purchasing new pieces, and differentiates me from most other people. Go for it!!!

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

Old 10-29-2009, 05:00 PM

Somehow over the years my wardrobe has evolved to black, white, gray with only a few exceptions for blue and dark green. I have only recently added jeans and a pair of brown cords into the mix. The only patterns I wear (maybe a couple times a month) are stripes and black & white check. It works for me...

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
Old 10-29-2009, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
This is VERY true! Black doesn't look particularly good on me either (it's too severe) so I wear a lot of chocolate brown instead.....for me it's the new black! lol! The only time I wear black is if I'm dressed up for an event....black seems to work for me in more 'formal wear'. Otherwise I'm in my color pallette listed above in my previous post.
I do something similar with my wardrobe. But black, white and gray are all colors that look horrible on me, as well. I tend to wear a lot of brown and tan as the base colors of my wardrobe. Then I choose two main complimentary colors, which for me are pink and lilac (although they don't compliment each other--LOL). These are two colors that I hear look very good on me. As with the above poster, brown is my black. It looks great on me, goes better with my pale coloring, simplifies my wardrobe and I feel good when I wear it.

Choosing base colors for your wardrobe and 1-2 signature colors really extends a wardrobe. You require less clothing to make more outfits. And I do think it looks sophisticated. I would need at least one pair of jeans, though. And I like dresses and skirts, so probably one of each. I can get away with black on my bottom half, just nowhere near my face. LOL.

Actually, I'm pregnant and while I was fortunate to have some clothes gifted to me, I didn't get to pick the colors that are flattering on me. I think I may try dying them. I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but I would assume you might have to purchase less if you dye some of what you already have in other colors to black. Just a thought. I've never actually tried dying anything before, so I don't speak from experience.

Good luck!
Old 10-29-2009, 06:58 PM

I thought about that, but I've found it easier to use brown as my neutral. So when I actually buy clothes I get anything I want for shirts, and find a brown for my pants.

Next spring I'm getting more neutral skirts. floral skirts are pretty and all, but such a PITA to pick a shirt for.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:14 AM

Take a look at this page of inspiration:

http://www.gap.com/browse/category.d...&clink=1470764

Old 10-30-2009, 02:07 AM

Old 10-30-2009, 02:10 AM

Old 10-30-2009, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I do something similar, but I use brown as my main neutral and I wear jeans a LOT. Everything goes with denim, and last year I lived in blue jeans and various-colored t-shirts. So I have more color in my wardrobe than just b/w/g but I don't have to worry about what top goes with which bottoms.

If you're working someplace where you can't wear jeans, just go with black pants instead. Or you could do black and gray pants, and still have colored tops that match both.

I think the one-dress-all-year idea is neat, but I'm worse with accessories than I am with clothing, and I find lots of jewlery and scarves create more clutter for me than a few more pieces of clothing.

User Tag List