how do you organize hats, mittens, gloves, scarves?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-29-2009, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hi folks,
winter is upon us!! I put a basket by the door for gloves, mittens, hats and scarves, but it is not working!! What is your secret?

Where we live, it is not cold all the time, so it is common to need a hat in the morning, and then not use it the rest of the day. SO the clips on jackets doesn't really work here.

Please spam me w/ ideas!
#2 of 28 Old 10-29-2009, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a shoe hanging bag (the kind with lots of pockets) and stick our gloves, hats, mittens, scarves, and even flip flops or other thin shoes into the pockets. Oftentimes, you can get lots of stuff into one pocket. I really like the system.
#3 of 28 Old 10-29-2009, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hoping for some great ideas. I've already lost track of my favourite pair of fingerless gloves . It hasn't even been all that cold yet. I keep hoping they will turn up in the house somewhere.

I usually keep a basket at the door too. The problem is where to hang all the wet stuff as we come in. Some day I will have a proper mudroom, with a hanging/drying rack for this stuff, hooks for coats, and lots of boot trays/shoe racks.
#4 of 28 Old 10-29-2009, 02:44 PM

Our laundry room is next to the door we use to enter the house. In the past I kept a basket on top our dryer. If the hats and gloves were wet we laid them on the dryer to dry before putting in the basket.

Since I now have tall front loaders there is no room for a basket so I put canvas boxes for each family member in our coat closet. The biggest problem is they are too high for the children so I need to put items away or pull them down. I'm considering putting a shelf low to the ground, underneath the coats. I can continue to dry gloves and hats in the laundry room on pegs.
#5 of 28 Old 10-29-2009, 02:45 PM

since our front door opened right into our livingroom with no place for shoes, jackets ect we put in a small vintage dresser, and a wooden bench with storage inside to make a bit of a front door hallway. i have hats and mittens in the 1st drawer of the dresser, rain pants & muddy budddies ect in the second and my own scarves and things in the 3rd. inside the bench is jackets and big warm stuff, as well as a basket of boots and shoes that we don't use at this time of year. of course everyday im putting the explosion of jackets and mittens and scarves and hats away in their places, but at least there is a place and it looks tidy when i actually get to it. if nothing else i have a wicker basket beside the woodstove where things get thrown.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#6 of 28 Old 10-29-2009, 03:28 PM

i try to keep a pair of mittens/gloves in the coat pockets and a hat in the hood (if there is one). likewise the scarf just sort of stay on the jacket. doesn't always work, things do get separated, but it works fairly well.
#7 of 28 Old 10-29-2009, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We have a dresser by the front door. Bottom drawer is for shoes, middle drawer is for season stuff (mittens/hats in the winter, swim suits and towels in the summer) and the top two, smaller drawers are for keys, wallets and I have a basket of hair ties and a brush for brushing hair on the way out the door.

I love this system. The dresser holds a mess of stuff that used to lay all over the front room.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#8 of 28 Old 10-29-2009, 03:42 PM

We have a configuration of snap together wire grid cubes in our entryway. There are about 10 of them and we keep hats, gloves, shoes, boots, reusable bags, dog walking supplies, sporting goods like bike helmet, yoga mat etc. in them. Some stuff is rotated seasonally, so that I don't have to dig through the swimming stuff to get to the winter hats. I park my purses there and we have 3 hanging coat racks for outerwear too.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#9 of 28 Old 10-29-2009, 05:07 PM

I used to do the basket with a jumble of stuff in it, but last year I finally got frustrated enough to find a different solution. I would up hanging 4 lines of twine on the inside of my coat closet door, going across (like a clothesline) And then put 6 clothespins on each line, labelled with someone's name. There's more than enough room for all of our winter stuff, even those of us (ahem, me!) who have multiple hats and gloves/mittens. When they go to hang up coats, they hang hat on one clothespin, mittens on another (together) and scarf on another. It works great! No clutter on the floor or digging through a basket, and being hung up allows them to dry faster if they're damp. And it cost me nothing since I already have tons of clothespin and twine!
#10 of 28 Old 10-29-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zech13_9_goforgold View Post
We have a shoe hanging bag (the kind with lots of pockets) and stick our gloves, hats, mittens, scarves, and even flip flops or other thin shoes into the pockets. Oftentimes, you can get lots of stuff into one pocket. I really like the system.
I saw that idea on the TODAY show not too long. It makes total sense and is a HUGE space saver!! I may have to give it a try myself!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#11 of 28 Old 10-29-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post
I used to do the basket with a jumble of stuff in it, but last year I finally got frustrated enough to find a different solution. I would up hanging 4 lines of twine on the inside of my coat closet door, going across (like a clothesline) And then put 6 clothespins on each line, labelled with someone's name. There's more than enough room for all of our winter stuff, even those of us (ahem, me!) who have multiple hats and gloves/mittens. When they go to hang up coats, they hang hat on one clothespin, mittens on another (together) and scarf on another. It works great! No clutter on the floor or digging through a basket, and being hung up allows them to dry faster if they're damp. And it cost me nothing since I already have tons of clothespin and twine!
love this!! i have no closet but it would be an especially nice way to display home knit stuff!!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#12 of 28 Old 10-29-2009, 06:01 PM

Totebag hung on the door that has the over the door coat rack. I've found they stay inside a totebag more easily than a basket.
#13 of 28 Old 10-29-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
We do this too - I think it works for us b/c we have a closet in the entryway of our house, and I have it hung on that door. I've seen them mounted on walls, though.

Anywhoo, I use painter's tape and a sharpie to make labels for each of the pockets - "C's hat," "C's gloves," "R's hat," "R's gloves" etc. I also have pockets for sunscreen, insect repellent, swimming goggles, sunglasses, dog leashes, bike gloves and headlights - basically anything we'd want to grab on the way out of the door. The labels help me track down missing items b/c I can see what should be there.

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#14 of 28 Old 10-29-2009, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Love the shoe bag idea... we've been using an old Ikea 3-bin wall rack. It's like 3 cloth rectangular bins that actually hold folders and notebooks pretty well, but we put scarves in on, mittens in another and hats in the third.

Of course, there's only been 3 of us up until this year and I've culled the stuff we don't really use... so it's been working fine.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#15 of 28 Old 10-31-2009, 12:54 PM

We just use a bin. Jackets and scarves get hung up. Everybody has 2 pairs of mittens/gloves that go in the bin.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
#16 of 28 Old 10-31-2009, 06:30 PM

We use a shoe bag as well. In fact, all the kids' rooms have one on both the front and the back of the closet doors, not for shoes but for small toys. The one inside the front closet holds our gloves/scarves/hats. At least, it will in another month or two when fall finally hits.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#17 of 28 Old 11-01-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
We have a dresser by the front door. Bottom drawer is for shoes, middle drawer is for season stuff (mittens/hats in the winter, swim suits and towels in the summer) and the top two, smaller drawers are for keys, wallets and I have a basket of hair ties and a brush for brushing hair on the way out the door.

I love this system. The dresser holds a mess of stuff that used to lay all over the front room.
I love this idea! We would have room for a dresser in our entryway, and it would be great to get all the shoes out of sight too. Hmm, got me thinking.
#18 of 28 Old 11-01-2009, 03:12 PM

We have a small closet when you walk in the front door so I bought a 4 drawer plastic rolling cart "thing" and put it in there. Each member of the family has a drawer and hats, mittens etc. go in there. I periodically go through the drawer and remove things that have no match or that are outgrown.
#19 of 28 Old 11-01-2009, 05:58 PM

I really like the entry way baskets that SouleMama uses.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#20 of 28 Old 11-01-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I use something like this - but mine is mesh with slightly smaller pockets and it's half-sized rather than full door sized. It works well for us. Anything wet dries well enough in the mesh, but we don't have a ton of snow here. I just rotated out the sunscreen and insect repellant for hats and mittens. I hadn't thought about shoving flipflops in there, but that's an idea.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#21 of 28 Old 11-01-2009, 07:07 PM

We have a small entry closet and have one of those shoe bag things on the inside of the closet door. I also have a sweater hanger/organizer in the closet for bigger items.

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#22 of 28 Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 PM

In the hall we have a mirror on the wall (or out from the wall) that has little shelves on the back. Each shelve has a kids name on it, and the stuff we use that day goes in there. Me and my dear share one, and we also have one on top for keyes, wallets, etc.
The rest of the stuff (there's always more) is in the wire baskets in the wardrobe, also with each kids name on the baskets.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#23 of 28 Old 11-02-2009, 09:19 AM

We have a small 3 drawer dresser in the laundry room (right next to the garage so it's easily accessed when we leave in the morning) that fits next to the dryer. It holds hats, scarves and mittens/gloves.

Where is your exit/entry point? Do you have a coat closet?

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#24 of 28 Old 11-02-2009, 10:18 AM

Hats, scarves, and gloves are in a drawer in our buffet (in the living room near the front door--holds the tv). I love it because it is low enough for the 2 yo to put his own hats away. He loves hats!
#25 of 28 Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 AM

I just want to thank you all so much for the suggestions! I bought an over the door shoe bag thing with mesh for the bags so you can see what's in them. It is PERFECT! I can put DS's stuff on the bottom so he can reach it and the dog can't get to any of it.

I never would have thought of it but it makes so much sense.
#26 of 28 Old 11-02-2009, 04:08 PM

I love the hanging shoe holder idea too. Mesh is great too. I can't wait to go out and get one this week, because it's just the start of hat and mitts season, and I'm already getting overwhelmed with picking them up off the floor and keeping track of them. 6 people mean a lot of stuff in the hallway.
#27 of 28 Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 PM

Instead of the shoe holder, I use one of those cloth hanging shelves, usually for storing sweaters and things like that? There are six spaces so each person can have their own place for everything and I use the bottom ones for the kids' shoes. It works pretty well because we have a closet at the front door, but sometimes it still looks messy, just because we cram a good bit of stuff in there. I like the dresser idea, but I don't have room for that in the foyer.

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#28 of 28 Old 11-03-2009, 10:17 PM

Well, three children, two adults, 6 months of cold and snow... I use this storage solution from Ikea. I got it in the As-Is corner for half the price and it's wonderful. Instead of six big bins, I have five big ones (for hats/mittens/scarves) plus two smaller ones (one for mail and one for keys and assorted items).

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page