who hates holiday decorations? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 11-08-2009, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We get a tree on Thanksgiving weekend and decorate it, and take it down shortly after New Year's. We also have a non-Christmasy wreath for the front door, and hang stockings. Other than that we don't do anything.

I have been slowly working on a little village and hope to have it done for next year - it's just little ceramic candle houses, and animals and plants and scenery that are either needle felted by me, or wooden from Ostheimer. It's not very big or elaborate.

In general I really dislike all the holiday decorations for any holiday. Just more junk to store and to go into a landfill eventually.
#32 of 34 Old 11-08-2009, 12:49 PM

I love decorations...in theory.

If someone put them up for me and took them back down...perfect.

It's just such a pain in my a** to totally switch up the decor like that, and dd is constantly taking ornaments off the tree and yaddi yah.

I'm a grinch....I'll admit it. I DO decorate though. Christmas wouldn't be the same (to me) without it!
#33 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 12:22 AM

I LOVE the holidays, and enjoy the feeling of Christmas but I decorate pretty simply - tree, stockings and lights hung in one window. Oh, and jingle bells on the front door handle.

I also pull out a cd book full of holiday music and movies, plus we have a few holiday themed games (sits inside tv table) and books (that fit in a basket). We have a toy nativity set.

Everything fits into two bins, including the tree stand and tree skirt.

The only thing I would like to add to my holiday decor, is a festive tablecloth for the dining room table.

Everything we do put out, ALL comes down the day after...IF I can wait that long. Lots of times, everything is gone Christmas night - right down to a naked tree that gets taken out in the morning.

Now, I'm all excited, thinking about Christmas at our new house this year.
#34 of 34 Old 11-09-2009, 12:53 PM

We don't decorate too much. Usually, I just string some lighted garland around the top of the piano and set a little 15-inch tree there. Our ornaments are all made of pipe cleaners and take almost no space to store. I usually put up a few small framed pictures of the little one with Santa from when he was younger and hang his stocking on the doorknob. We have a cool, stuffed hippie Santa that sits on the bookshelf. That's about it. Oh, and last year, we put up an activities "advent" calendar - a string of little envelopes, each containing a fun, frugal holiday activity - reading xmas stories, listening to our Dr. Demento xmas tape, baking cookies or vegan Chex mix, star-gazing, going to the town's tree-lighting ceremony, etc. I'll do that this year, as well.

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page