who hates holiday decorations? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 11-05-2009, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The title says it all. I DO NOT LIKE holiday decor. Yes I put it up, only for my boys. A tree, stockings and a christmas village. I SO do not want to put the village up anymore. I got it when they were little and loved to look at it all lite up. Now, ugh. I am going to see if they will consent to tree and stockings only. I have to remember I'm not the only personwho lives here and this is everyone's holiday season. However, I'm thinking I may promise to take them to a couple of movies over christmas if we can keep it to a minimum. they lvoe to go to the movies, which we rarely do, so it will be a real treat.

anyone else wanna admit to being a grinch?
#2 of 34 Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 PM

I feel that way too.

I enjoy Christmas decorations, but I hate setting them up and taking them down. I hate storing them.

My hatred started when my Mom would force me (and Dad and sister) to help decorate. She would drag it out and get mad if you were not excited enough. Blah. It was fun as a little kid, but torture from about 11 years old and on. Then as soon as we were done opening presents the "dechristmasification" would begin.

Last year, DD spent the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas at my parents house. I didn't do any decorating at all. We spent the holidays together at my parents house so the kids did not miss out. This year the kids will be home and DS will be old enough to enjoy so we'll be decorating.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#3 of 34 Old 11-05-2009, 08:45 PM

I hate it. Ours is up too only for the kids and I take it down usualy the day after Christmas. We also don't put it up until December and in previous years when my youngest was much younger we only put it up a week before Christmas to avoid him pulling it all down. I especially hate people's outdoor holiday decorations.
#4 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 12:01 AM

Since on that other thread you said something about wanting to live in a completely empty space with no furniture , maybe your family would do well with a compromise-- you could switch out the regular pot holders, dish towels, tablecloth and hand towels for holiday-themed towels and pot holders, and that kind of thing. You could put a wreath on the outside of the door so it isn't taking up space in your house; if you have pictures on the wall you could wrap them like presents; you could play Christmas music. If the kids don't care much about the village and just want some kind of general decoration, you could get rid of the village and during the year, you could probably store the holiday towels (pot holders, etc.) in the same space where you store the village. Music would only take up space in your hard drive, or you could even just play it streaming.

You could also get a bunch of candy canes and hang them up everywhere and then eat them after Christmas is over!
#5 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 12:09 AM

if i hung candy canes all over my house, they would be gone a week later and i would ooze peppermint out my pores for the rest of my life! haha, at least i wouldnt need deodorant any more!

i absolutly hate christmas decorations, my MIL gets so upset that we dont decorate. one year she came down and cried profusely until we went out to get a tree, but since it was christmas eve there werent really any left. so i picked the smallest sparsest tree there was and put 4 ornaments on it. she was still mad.

i am hoping that i can get away with not decorating ever, once the kids are old enough to want christmas decorations i'll let them decorate their play room so i can close the door and not have to see it.

i think my hatred comes from working retail where its christmas season from the day after halloween until christmas day. christmas music gives me nightmares now.
#6 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 12:09 AM

I despise them. They take up so much room to store! They are a pain to put up and down. And my husband has soooo much stuff our house is cluttered enough without putting up decorations. So, yes. +1 on the hating decorations.
#7 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post

i absolutly hate christmas decorations, my MIL gets so upset that we dont decorate. one year she came down and cried profusely until we went out to get a tree, but since it was christmas eve there werent really any left. so i picked the smallest sparsest tree there was and put 4 ornaments on it. she was still mad.
I had issues with my MIL as well a few Christmas's ago. It was when we chose to only put the tree and decorations up for about a week. She came on Christmas day and flipped out that I was taking the tree down on the 26th. I told her Christmas was over so the decorations were coming down. She was very mad and upset, she told me that you had to keep them up past New Year. I told her New Year's and Christmas are two different holidays and the tree was coming down. Sorry my house, my rules.
#8 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cera View Post
I had issues with my MIL as well a few Christmas's ago. It was when we chose to only put the tree and decorations up for about a week. She came on Christmas day and flipped out that I was taking the tree down on the 26th. I told her Christmas was over so the decorations were coming down. She was very mad and upset, she told me that you had to keep them up past New Year. I told her New Year's and Christmas are two different holidays and the tree was coming down. Sorry my house, my rules.
In a lot of denominations of Christianity (Catholic, Anglican and some others), the religious Christmas season is considered to begin on Christmas Eve and to end on Epiphany, January 6. Before that, it's Advent. People of those denominations who are more traditional, tend to follow the same pattern with their decorations. If your MIL belongs to one of those traditions-- even if she no longer follows it-- that might account for her reaction.
#9 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post

My hatred started when my Mom would force me (and Dad and sister) to help decorate. She would drag it out and get mad if you were not excited enough. Blah. It was fun as a little kid, but torture from about 11 years old and on. Then as soon as we were done opening presents the "dechristmasification" would begin.

I think this is why my husband hates setting stuff up and taking it down. He enjoys it when it is up but if it were up to him I think he would just do one tree and be done with it. I completely blame his mother for MAKING him be the one responsible for getting and setting up a real tree every year. I don't think he ever got to just enjoy it as a kid.

He helped me decorate the first year but I could tell he was NOT enjoying it. Now I just go ahead and do it and he no longer feels guilt for not helping. (thank his mother for that guilt reaction!)

He indulges me though as I'm one of those people you all hate. I have 4 trees. They go up at Thanksgiving and get taken down a bit after New Year's. I admit, it is a PITA but I take several days to do it and I enjoy it. And I don't make anyone help except DH has to help me get the one tree up the ladder to a display ledge that's about 15 or 20 feet up. Yes, he really loves me that much!
#10 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 12:40 PM

i was seriously considering getting rid of my tree and ornaments, since it's more of a "cultural" holiday for us and not religious. however, we just have a small tinsel tree and one box of ornaments, so i've decided to keep them another year, for my boys. (okay, and i actually enjoy putting up the tree!) however, i think i'll declutter this year as i put the ornaments on the tree. last year, they didn't all come out of the box. i don't see a reason to keep hanging on to the ones i don't use.
#11 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 12:55 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it but it stresses me out. DH wants the house to look seasonal and festive but when it comes right down to it, his baggage from childhood crushes his joy.

So decorating starts out fun. We go shopping for a tree, get greens, pointsettias and wreaths.

Then we get home and he starts to weird out.

Last year really tried my patience. He sat in the kitchen staring at the walls, denying anything was wrong while I spent the day putting lights on the tree and decorating it.

I will continue to do it for DS but it sort of makes me sad and frustrated while in the process.

Our decorations are natural for the most part, greens and pine cones. I haul out old dishes (crystal, silverplate) to use as candle holders and mix those into the arrangements.

I would have NO TIME for any villages, outdoor lights, anything luminated and inflatable.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#12 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 01:01 PM

The tree and ornaments went in the divorce

Because of illness I'm not going to even bother with the few decorations I do like. I'm going to start collecting seasonal tablecoths and use that for the holiday spirit. I have an open floor plan so the most eye-catching thing in the house is the kitchen table.

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
#13 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 01:12 PM

I do it for the kid. Period.

If it were just me I wouldn't drag it all out just to pack up again. Even when I was married I dreaded doing it....so, it's not just a "I hate it cause I have to do it all" thing.

I love going to the stores to see all the decorations and often daydream about having a house that's warm, cozy with Christmas trinkets everywhere, but I'd feel cramped if I actually did it.

The tree (with trimmings) and some lights are about all I do...maybe a door hanger and some Nutcrackers.

Center
#14 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 03:02 PM

I love looking at it in catalogs, especially like Pottery Barn but I just hate doing it in my own home. Most of it just looks so cheesy when you see it in real people's homes. And I don't understand people who decorate their homes for other holidays like Easter or Valentine's.

DS is 4 1/2 and he has started to take interest in parties and holidays so I'm thinking of gettting a small, pre-lit tree that I saw at Walmart for $18 for his room. I think he will love that. I take care of a 10-mo-old baby so I have an excuse again this year that there's a baby in the house and I don't want her yanking on the tree or chewing on the toxic Christmas lights So that gets me out of dragging out the big one .

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#15 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 05:38 PM

I am pretty minimal about decorations in general; holiday ones are no exception.

We do a family tree & small (artifical) kids tree in their play area. Last year I used some of their wooden animals and made a Nativity scene. I'll usually hang some ornaments on doors. We have a special throw and pillows for the couch.

That's it really. Enough. Like it that way.
#16 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 05:54 PM

I guess I'm a true Grinch

My "Holiday Decoration"

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#17 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 06:25 PM

I do it like lolar2 suggested upthread. I dislike all the fuss about Christmas and really dislike the way retail ignores Thanksgiving. However, I don't mind my own version of holiday decor. We get one tree and decorate it with our favorite ornaments and "other" items. We pare down each year since certain people seem to think we need an endless supply of ornaments. To be fair, these people have DD's best interests at heart and just want her to have her own set of ornaments when she is old enough to move out. The challenge is there are three of these people. Three times 18 years will equal 54 ornaments and if she stays with us through college the number will go up even more.

Anyway, AFTER Thanksgiving weekend (yes, the WHOLE weekend is devoted to Thanksgiving), then we will start slowly swapping Christmas items for "everyday" items. Towels and placemats and potholders are typically the first round. I have a couple holiday picture frames that I swap out, too. Then, DD will put up holiday clings wherever she wishes.

We buy our tree two or three weekends before Christmas, depending on when the 25th falls during the week, and we devote that whole weekend to fun holiday traditions. By Monday, the house is holiday'd out and we enjoy it until the weekend after Christmas. Recently, Christmas was on a Friday and by Sunday, the house was back to normal. That is the quickest we'd do. DD absolutely ADORES our holiday traditions and DH & I developed them based on *our* likes and dislikes, so we really LIKE them, too.

We have four family members who live within a four-hour drive of us and we invite them to the line-up of holiday events. They each have varying degrees of "issues" and pick & choose what they participate in. It works really nicely for us since they tend to attend the easiest events and never ALL of them at once (not since the first Christmas DD was here, thank goodness...THAT Christmas should NEVER be repeated). Our favorite relatives coincidentally tend to hang out with us the most!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#18 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 09:18 PM

I tend to keep it simple..big bowl of holiday mints and candy canes, several pretty candles in sparkly containers or on glass coasters, white lights- on the porch and on top of my tv stand, for ambience. The tree--- all white blinking lights (my son likes the blinking), one small box of various decorations, 1 small box of 3 different types of Christmas balls, 4 stockings and I changed out the decorations in my large decorative jars (pinecones, nuts, candy). I tend to stick with pink, white, blue and silver in my colors. Not much but the co-hesiveness makes it look beautiful.I also have 2 small white trees that go on the mantle. I am not a chotsky collector, so no villages or anything like that.
#19 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 09:29 PM

i don't like a bunch of tacky christmas-y stuff cluttering the house, either. I don't mind minimal, pretty decorations - like a wreath on the door, a fancy tablecloth, maybe a bit of lights... But all the tiny, collections of christmas cheer are too much for me. We are going to do two trees again (a big one in the family room, a smaller one in the formal living room) but other than that I will only have a few other select items like the stockings, and maybe I'll change out the kitchen towels.

I know some people like all the stuff, though. They collect it, they carefully store it (I'm lucky if I can find enough ornaments) and have to set it all up, dust it, keep the kids from breaking stuff, etc... It's just not my thing, I guess. ohhhhh, especially all the noisy christmas carol playing stuff. no way could I handle much of that.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#20 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 10:23 PM

I have a love/hate relationship with them

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#21 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 10:48 PM

The other good, space-saving decorations are things like holiday-shaped soaps and holiday-themed paper goods. I know this is MDC!-- but whatever paper napkins or paper towels or plates you do normally use, you can just get them in holiday print and then your family will get the decoration "feel" without taking up extra space.

Also you can tie bows around stuffed animals' necks and then re-use the bows for kid crafts after the holidays.

I love holiday decorations, but I hate extra work and extra clutter (I already have way too much stuff!), so I'm full of these....
#22 of 34 Old 11-07-2009, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

I want a tree (always live) about 5ft tall with simple shiny bright ornament balls and white lights, the boys stockings and thats about it. Maybe a scenty candle. Dish towels, soaps, placemats, etc-nope never gonna happen, LOL. I have a handmade christmas garland of fabric I bought off Etsy last year and that will go up. Otherwise, thats it. The village is gonna be a sore spot. Its one of those "what was I thinkin" things. Just can't do it.
#23 of 34 Old 11-07-2009, 01:14 AM

Do you dislike Christmas itself, and the decorations remind you of it? Or do you like the holiday but not the appearance of the decorations?
#24 of 34 Old 11-07-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
Do you dislike Christmas itself, and the decorations remind you of it? Or do you like the holiday but not the appearance of the decorations?
I love/hate Christmas. I think it's super magical and brings out the good in a lot of people. But it also reminds me of my childhood when I was really poor and my parents couldn't afford to buy us much. And it makes me miss my family like crazy. I don't live near any of them even though I grew up with a very tight family. So maybe I avoid the decor out of guilt, or fear of getting sad, or too happy...or something...

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#25 of 34 Old 11-07-2009, 12:58 PM

I sold my village on ebay several years back. I just can't stand the clutter. Over the past several years I have really decluttered the holiday stuff. We do an elf that sits in the dining area, a nativity, a tree and that's it.
#26 of 34 Old 11-07-2009, 02:05 PM

I used to do more, but since the kids have essentially grown, the "magic" of it has kind of disappeared. We used to pick out our tree as a family, go out for hot chocolate afterward and then lovingly(?) decorate to Christmas music. The kids got less and less interested, as did I, and last year I paid my daughter to decorate the tree we bought on December 20.

We are pretty much just down to a Christmas tree. I got rid of the Christmas cookie jars, the snow globe collection my mother decided I needed, and all the other Christmas bric-a-brac that holds no special meaning to me. I have a set of Christmas dishes (4 plates and bowls) that I use through December, and that is the size of it.
#27 of 34 Old 11-07-2009, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

No I like Christmas its clutter I don't like. As I said in my other thread I get nervous about STUFF coming into my house. I fight my MIL tooth and nail to not get a bunch of little junk each year.
#28 of 34 Old 11-07-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
No I like Christmas its clutter I don't like. As I said in my other thread I get nervous about STUFF coming into my house. I fight my MIL tooth and nail to not get a bunch of little junk each year.
I am pretty mellow about clutter but I don't like the little villages! My grandmother (the one I quoted at length in your other thread) had some pine trees in her backyard. She used to go outside and get pinecones and sprigs of greenery and put them on her windowsills and mantle, then throw them out at the end of the season. She had a few but not a ton of regular decorations-- mostly that hung on the wall.
#29 of 34 Old 11-07-2009, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We never decorated for any holiday when I was a kid, and neither did DH's family, so while we like to look at others' decorations, we don't do any of it. (Although DH was starting to get into the spirit of Halloween this year, but then never got around to doing anything.)

I'm completely astounded at the amount of storage my neighbors must have for their Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas/Valentine's Day/Easter decorations. Seriously, some of these people do up their yards for ALL these holidays! I can only imagine what the insides of their homes look like.

Part of me would like to do some holiday-centered decorating to celebrate the seasons, but the realistic part of me knows I don't have the room to store the stuff the rest of the year and I just don't want to go down that road!
#30 of 34 Old 11-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
Myself, I had the absolute worst Christmas ever last year for reasons I'd rather not repeat(and I used the like the holiday itself). So this year, I'm not even going to bother with much. I might hang the stockings on Christmas eve, but that's pretty much it. No point putting up a Christmas tree: DS#2 will just pull it down and we don't really have the space for it. If I had it my way, I would just fly myself and the family off to someplace warm on the 23rd and not come back until the 2nd.

Mom to DS#1 and DS#2 fencing.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page