What is on your desk and how do you keep it organized? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-09-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For some reason I cannot come up with a perfect solution for organizing my desk. It feels a little random. It is the kind of desk with a shelf thing (like this: http://www.staples.com/Z-Line-Gemini...C2:CG33:DP4543 ) except mine isn't L-shaped so it's just that longer side with the shelf...anyway...

On my desk right now there is:
Starting on the left with the top shelf part--

a organizer/holder thing that has my checkbook, stamps, a few pens, and some bills sticking out the top, then my small 4X6 photo printer, then a cup (with a few broken pencils, a staple remover thing ,which i pretty much never use and a bag of tacks) next to that I have my label maker (which I do use), a tube of chapstick sitting on an empty earrings box with a secure digital card also on top of it. Next, two staplers ( i know i only need one but one is small and one is big lol), next to that is one of those plastic organizers that have three "shelves" adn inside there I have photopaper, regular paper, some plastic sheets you put in 3 ring binders to protect paper etc. (all stuff I use for my job), stacked next to that is one of my dh's cd cases and a bunch of random random random folders with such things as breastfeeding paperwork i got at the hospital two years ago when my son was born (lol i keep it to help share info with friends but it really doesn't need to live on my desk) and then finally next to that is my rechargable battery thing.

K now on the regular desk part: a surge protector type thing where I push the buttons to turn on my printer, computer etc...next to that is a broken digital camera that DH took apart to "fix" and never put it back together, a three hole punch, two spindles of blank dvds and cds adn finally a big container of sharpies, pens and scissors.

So anyway, I dream of having one of those desks that are mostly empty...but what the heck to do with all the stuff???

As for where I keep other stuff...I do also have a filing cabinet which houses all the insurance papers, medical stuff, etc etc. and my printer lives on top of that.

What is on your desk right now?

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#2 of 5 Old 11-09-2009, 01:17 PM

I'm doing this from memory since I'm not home. We have a corner desk with several shelves.

The top shelf holds extra envelopes, a bag of Christmas gifts I've stashed, extra art supplies and a few binders.

The second shelf holds the printer.

There are two small shelves on either side that each hold a speaker. The one on the right has a few things I need to take to the bank and some signed concert ticket stubs that I have yet to do anything with. The left side has the camera and battery charger.

The actual desk part has the computer, a coaster, a wedding pic of dh and I, and a basket of pens, paper clips, etc. On the other side of the computer is a calculator, stapler and then the bills and checkbook.
#3 of 5 Old 11-10-2009, 01:16 AM

I actually got rid of my desk a few years ago, because I couldn't stop it from being a clutter catcher.

I use a laptop (which lives in a bag or in a charging station when not in use) on a folding-up worktable, which is cleared off and put away after each work session. My daughter sometimes uses it as well, but I have priority.

All paperclip/pencil type stuff is sorted into little plastic drawer organizer things, along with all our craft geegads. These all stack on an IVAR unit in my dd's room, which is craft central. Computer paper, envelopes, stationary and printer live on a shelf in my husband/kids' computer room and I help myself to what I need when I need it. (dh doesn't really work in there, except for some phone calls, and most homework is done at the kitchen table, so I don't call it an office).

I have two backpacks for work stuff -- one for coursework, one for volunteer work, and all current stuff is kept there. All of my home business paperwork is organized into a cupboard and all the home management paperwork (bills) has an inbox/filing cabinet system. I bring the computer, and the backpack/file I need to work on to the table, fold it out, and go to town. I almost never need anything like paperclips or envelopes and don't mind going to fetch them when I do.
#4 of 5 Old 11-11-2009, 04:45 AM

I have an armoire for storage (keeps me sane). The top 3 cubbies hold (left) notebooks (middle) bill box with bills, stamps, envelopes and checkbook and (right) our camera. The computer area has a pen basket, the monitor and speakers. Under that, by my feet and knees, is the printer and printer paper. In the right cabinet are (top shelf) markers, pencils, colored pencils and crayons (all secluded in their own baskets and boxes) and (bottom shelf) the modem. In the 2 right drawers are (top) blank CDs and computer games and (bottom) electronics cords.

The only thing besides that, right now, is my coffee cup.

There was a great thread a while back when people listed what was on their desk - it was crazy but fun. I bet you could find it if you searched.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#5 of 5 Old 11-04-2010, 11:02 AM

My desk is the catch all. Even when I have it nice and organized, things always seems to get shoved there. Right now I have it just PILED with old bills that need to be tossed, DS's artwork, receipts, my cats ashes , printer, clock and all my finger puppets I've been making.

Jessica reading.gif married to the love of my life jammin.gif

Momma to: Levi (09/06)superhero.gif, Junior (09/05) angel.gif, Teagann (11/10) angel.gif and two furbabies Nugget and Boo cat.gifflowerkitty.gif TTC our next bundle of love since 1/11makebabe.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page