Bathmats gross me out - how do you deal with them? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 11-23-2009, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If it can't be washed frequently in the washer/dryer it doesn't make it in this house. Ours gets washed pretty frequent thanks to a not so house trained pup.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#32 of 41 Old 11-23-2009, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have two bathrooms with bathing facilities. In each of those rooms, we have one large all-cotton reversible rug in front of the sink and toilet (tiny bathrooms). Those stay on the floor all the time and get washed once a month.

In our bathroom, we also have a bath mat that is basically a thick towel and slightly smaller than a bath towel. It is only on the floor in front of the shower when someone is in the shower. Otherwise, it is hanging on the bar of our shower door (like a towel). It gets washed along with our towels.

In DD's bathroom, I felt guests and a young child needed something thicker. I got a small all-cotton reversible rug that matches the larger rugs. The idea is for it to only be on the floor when someone is in the shower and otherwise be draped across the side of the tub. DD doesn't always do that, but it is thick enough that it never gets super damp (wetness never makes it to the floor). Since DD (age 8) showers less frequently than DH & I combined (she has super dry skin), I wash her "bath mat" when I wash the rugs. If she bathed more often, I'd wash it along with her towel instead. (I wash her towel every other time I wash ours.) When DD was younger and took baths more and made a bigger mess with water, I had two older (thick towel-type) bath mats and I stretched them the length of the bathtub and folded them lengthwise under my knees. They got hung over the shower rod (1) and side of bathtub (1) and got washed more frequently.

ETA: We tend to dry off most of the way before stepping out of the shower or bathtub, which greatly reduces the "ick" factor for me for bath mats. The rest of the "ick" factor is removed by having the mat off the floor when not in use. I don't find our bath mats "icky" at all now, but still find damp bath mats or rugs very "icky" in other homes.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#33 of 41 Old 11-23-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
We just use a towel. No bathmats that stay on the floor.
Only in the winter though. Just to combat cold feet on the tile floor. Because we...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarbebe View Post
We dry off completely in the shower or tub before even stepping on the bathmat. We even dry our feet.
do this as well.
#34 of 41 Old 11-23-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden View Post
We use the rectangle towel mats. We use them for about 4-5 days and then I replace it with a clean one.
Yep and when those don't get washed quickly enough to stay in the rotation, I will use bathtowels.

I do keep my bathroom floor clean and clear of dirt and lint so it doesn't gross me out to think about a bathtowel on the floor.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#35 of 41 Old 11-24-2009, 11:32 AM

I have rubber-backed cotton bathmats. I leave them on the floor. I wash them about once a week, or once every couple weeks. They're light-colored but never seem particularly "dirty" so I don't really need to shake them off or anything. I keep the bathroom floors pretty clean, which helps.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#36 of 41 Old 11-24-2009, 11:43 AM

We dry off completely before stepping out. Both DH and I and our DD's. The girls bathroom has a cute bathmat but it mostly for decoration, I just can't handle having it get wet and nasty so they only stand on it once they are dry. But for our bathroom we use the towel like bathmats that are thicker than regular towels and designed for that purpose only. I toss them in the wash every week to clean them. I am a nut when it comes to towels, my DH thinks I am crazy that I want to dry off with the towels and let them hang dry and reuse a couple of times before I toss them in to be washed. I guess you could say I am conserving water by not washing as much, but for me I just HATE doing laundry so that cuts down on the amount of towels I do per week which is awesome!

WOH Wife to Steve 3/31/07 ; Mama to Sophia Margaret 9/26/07; and Ava Grace 2/5/09
#37 of 41 Old 11-24-2009, 03:18 PM

zippy, why would anyone wash their towels after every dry off? i mean you are CLEAN when you get out of the shower! your hubby sounds like the crazy one, i mean isnt that why they have towel bars? even hotels now request that you do this to cut down on wasted resources.

if my husband suggested i wash our towels after every bath he would get laughed at so hard i wouldnt be able to breathe for a week!
#38 of 41 Old 11-24-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
zippy, why would anyone wash their towels after every dry off? i mean you are CLEAN when you get out of the shower! your hubby sounds like the crazy one, i mean isnt that why they have towel bars? even hotels now request that you do this to cut down on wasted resources.

if my husband suggested i wash our towels after every bath he would get laughed at so hard i wouldnt be able to breathe for a week!

I agree it is crazy, love my DH but yea he cracks me up
But believe it or not I know many a person who never reuse their towels, they go right into the laundry. The people who don't realize that is what a towel rack is for are the same ones who are unfamiliar with turn signals in their car. I guess they figured it is an upgrade feature

WOH Wife to Steve 3/31/07 ; Mama to Sophia Margaret 9/26/07; and Ava Grace 2/5/09
#39 of 41 Old 12-04-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! It's much happier in my bathroom now that I'm on the Towel on the Floor Team. So far, I'm just using towel scraps leftover from craft projects, and keeping my eye out at the thrift store for the official rectangular ones. But really, it's so true that laundering the heavy bathmats as often as needed to keep a clean bathroom is just rough on the washer and the environment, and that was really hanging me up. And when my toddler pulls all the towel scraps out of the cabinet and throws them into the bath before I can turn around, those go on the drying rack in our bedroom overnight to provide a little humidity - we're all happy with the new arrangement, and I'm not timid about swiping the not-any-longer-grimy corners with these little things and tossing them in the wash often. Yay! MDC to the rescue!

PS, My dogs love having the bathmats on their dog beds now, and I love that I can keep the dog beds themselves cleaner with rotating bathmats too. Re-use, hooray.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#40 of 41 Old 12-05-2009, 01:07 AM

I have a teak floor mat and it is THE BOMB! It feels good, looks gorgeous and lasts forever.
#41 of 41 Old 12-05-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
zippy, why would anyone wash their towels after every dry off? i mean you are CLEAN when you get out of the shower!
Not in my opinion.

First off, what if you don't get every bit of bacteria off? It goes right onto your towel.

Next, when you dry yourself off, you rub dead skin off, too. Dust mites and other yuckies love dead skin.

Thirdly, the water your towel absorbs wi
ll feel the molds flying in the air, and teeny tiny bits of mold will start growing on your towel, whether you know it for not.

Then if you use that not-so-perfectly-clean towel to dry yourself the next time you shower, you are well, no longer as clean as you were getting out of the shower.

Now, I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to reuse a towel once, but more than that and well, how super icky!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page