Bathmats gross me out - how do you deal with them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 11-20-2009, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a beginner but dedicated decluttering/ cleaning devotee. I want to know how other people deal with bathmats, and by extension, the bathroom floor.

Our bathmat stays on the floor of the bathroom because the floor is so unfriendly, cold, and slippery for baby feet. After 2 of us shower, or after my son's bath, of course it's a damp bathmat. When I pick it up to drape over the side of the tub to help it dry, it sheds lint, dust, dirt from being walked on during the day. Lately, I shake it out into the tub and rinse the tub with the showerhead. But something in me feels it's not right to be washing dirt down the drain, and yet I don't know how to deal with the bathroom floor otherwise.

I'm doing a flylady bathroom approach, swishing the toilet daily, swiping the surfaces daily, and to this I've added a few minutes on my knees using a rag to pick up the dirt off the bathroom floor corners. This needs to be done more or less daily so there's no visible buildup on the light colored floor. But now my swish and swipe routine is in danger of getting too involved...

I don't mean to obsess at all, but I'd love to know your better systems for the bathroom.

Thanks!

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#2 of 41 Old 11-20-2009, 02:08 PM

We used to use a bath rug outside of the tub but the cats took to peeing on it. Now we use towels that have been used for several days to a week and are ready to be washed. I have a special hook in the bathroom even for drying out the towels so they can be reused a few times for the floor. Works MUCH better than the rug that I would have to wash once a week. I mop the floor once or twice a week (when I empty the cat box in there) and use the towel to wipe up the floor in between because the kids get it wet going in and out of the claw foot tub. Then I just toss into the laundry chute. It's much easier and cleaner than using a bath mat/rug.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#3 of 41 Old 11-20-2009, 02:17 PM

I don't know how large your bathroom is, but we just have a small space. I use washable bathmats (they look like slightly thicker handtowels with a different rectangular border) with no backing. Each day after showers and getting ready, I toss the old one in the hamper and start with a clean fresh one.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#4 of 41 Old 11-20-2009, 02:21 PM

We leave ours out on the floor always (there's usually a pretty good gap between bathers). When I sweep the bathroom floor, I shake the mat out until everything's out of it and sweep it up.

I throw my bathmat in the washer every so often too.
#5 of 41 Old 11-20-2009, 02:22 PM

Yup, each bathroom in our house has 3 or 4 washable bath mats and I wash them regularly and put down a fresh one.
#6 of 41 Old 11-20-2009, 02:47 PM

We just use a towel. No bathmats that stay on the floor.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#7 of 41 Old 11-20-2009, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like washable bath mats. If you want something soft on the floor, I would probably use a wool rug, but use a washable bath mat on top for after baths. I have to vacuum the apartment pretty often due to crumbs and crunchies on the floor, and I do the bathrooms as part of that.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#8 of 41 Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 PM

Ditto the washable ones. I can't stand those things with the rubber back. They remind me of the matching set of fuzzy toilet seat and lid cover my Grandma used to have a million years ago.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#9 of 41 Old 11-20-2009, 02:52 PM

We use the rectangle towel mats. We use them for about 4-5 days and then I replace it with a clean one.
#10 of 41 Old 11-20-2009, 03:39 PM

i have the rubber backed bathmats, i have two of them. they are a burber type carpet, so not like those weird fuzzy sets you see. i throw one in the wash on gentle wash but HOT water and air dry it outside and replace it with the other. i do this probably every 3 days or so.
another big thing i do, which has been really hard to get the hubby doing is that i dry off completely standing in the tub and dry off each foot with my towel before stepping on the mat.
my mom taught me that, i cant stand a damp bathmat when getting out of the shower. yucky yucky yuck!
#11 of 41 Old 11-20-2009, 03:47 PM
LZP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden View Post
We use the rectangle towel mats. We use them for about 4-5 days and then I replace it with a clean one.
Yup. This. We have 2, and they get switched/washed ... I should probably get a few more, since sometimes i have to resort to an old towel. Usually, once we're finished showering, it gets draped over the shower curtain rod to dry, so it stays clean.

Our bathroom floor gets vacuumed when we vacuum our bedroom, about once per week. (we have a canister vac, so it does our tile/hardwood really well.)

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#12 of 41 Old 11-20-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post
I don't know how large your bathroom is, but we just have a small space. I use washable bathmats (they look like slightly thicker handtowels with a different rectangular border) with no backing. Each day after showers and getting ready, I toss the old one in the hamper and start with a clean fresh one.
I was going to suggest these. Maybe with a cute area rug somewhere else in the bathroom for warmth and color?

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#13 of 41 Old 11-20-2009, 04:04 PM

I have rubber backed bath rugs (not the fuzzy tennis ball type) but more contemporary shag type ones. I frequently change them out but the one thing that we do so they dont get that funky damp smell is to dry off in the tub/shower before getting out.
I also have a electric sweeper that I use daily all around the house. We have hardwood floors and any little bit of dirt is visible plus I dont want to scratch my original hardwood floors. The sweeper allows all the grit/dirt to be picked up and works great to freshen up the rugs but without having to drag out the vacuum and lug up and down stairs. It helps with all the little kid crumbs and messes. I quickly do each room and it really helps keep the floors clean in between vacuums.
#14 of 41 Old 11-20-2009, 04:07 PM

I totally didn't even read your whole post because I am just that lazy at the moment, but I just wanted to say that after occasionally buying bath mats over the years and then ending up being grossed out by them (and therefore washing and donating them), I just use a towel on the floor now. Like we'll use a towel a few times and then put it on the floor to step on when it feels dirty enough to me to do that. And the times when there's not a big towel on the floor, I'll put a small hand towel down instead, or just nothing. The floor gets clean when whatever kind of towel on the floor gets wet from splashing in the bath, and then I scoot it around with my feet all over the floor and clean it up good. :-D and when there is no towel on the floor and I know the floor is dry, I'll vacuum in there when I'm vacuuming the house. So, that's how it works around here. Same thing with the kitchen, except a towel that's going to be washed gets soaked with hot water and then I scoot that around the kitchen and then into the wash it goes. So I guess that's all I have to say about that. Please excuse any typos that spellcheckr probably decided to change into something it thinks is right; I'm typing from my phone. I am still not over how when I'm texting someone and I type the words 'text' or 'texting', spellchecker repeatedly changes it to 'test' or 'testing'. I mean, come on! Le sigh.

:-p

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#15 of 41 Old 11-20-2009, 08:26 PM

We dry off completely in the shower or tub before even stepping on the bathmat. We even dry our feet.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#16 of 41 Old 11-21-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
another big thing i do, which has been really hard to get the hubby doing is that i dry off completely standing in the tub and dry off each foot with my towel before stepping on the mat.
my mom taught me that, i cant stand a damp bathmat when getting out of the shower. yucky yucky yuck!
The only time our bath mat gets wet is when I step out of the running shower to grab something (like a new bar of soap).
#17 of 41 Old 11-21-2009, 01:29 AM

We have a rug in the bathroom and then use the towel-type of bathmat on top of it, hang it to dry on the edge of the tub inbetween uses. I have three of those and I could use one or two more because the kids get them pretty wet. I often use a towel or two on the floor when the kids have their bath.

The bathroom mats that skeeve me out are the ones that go around the toilet. They seem like they are always smelly and gross. I'd rather wipe the floor often around the toilet than use one of those.
#18 of 41 Old 11-21-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
Same here.
#19 of 41 Old 11-21-2009, 09:06 AM

Same here at many pp. Ours are like hotel bathmats and match the towels. They stay hung up over the shower rod (with curtain closed) until someone takes a shower and get hung right back up when done. Every few days they hit the wash.
#20 of 41 Old 11-21-2009, 09:16 AM

I have been grossed out by my bathmat forever. I love the idea of a little towel one that gets changed out frequently and washed with the laundry. I have been so careful about keeping my bathroom clean since my landlord threatened me with eviction about a month ago because of my lack of housekeeping. Now that it is cleaned every 3-4 days, I would love a solution to the icky bathmat. I have been just shaking it out onto the floor and then sweeping and mopping up the crumbs/sand/dirt that fall out. I have no freaking idea how that much debris gets in there. We don't eat upstairs, we take shoes off when we come in the house, how on earth is that much being tracked upstairs to the bathroom????? The cat doesn't even have sand in his litterbox! It literally looks like a pile of sand when I shake it out, and when it gets damp, it is stinky. I wash the dang thing about once a month, and we only shower here abour twice a week if that (sometimes shower at the gym, mostly just avoid hot water because of dry skin). I just can't figure it out, but I hate that thing. Thanks for the ideas!

I am off to buy a little one today! Thanks for the idea!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#21 of 41 Old 11-21-2009, 09:22 AM

We use the washable type bath mats but I really like the drying off in the shower method that some of you suggested to keep the mat dry!

mother, wife, lover of life.
#22 of 41 Old 11-21-2009, 09:40 AM

I use the bath mat in front of my sink area and a towel for when we are done with showers/baths.

Quite a while back I use to put a bath mat in front of the tub but I was having a similar problem with the rubber stuff on the back coming off and I was not sure of the safety of that *stuff* being spread around. That is why we quit using one there.
#23 of 41 Old 11-21-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
Me too.

Bathmats never really grossed me out, since I always washed mine regularly. Then...my ds started PL'ing & it just seemed like my bathmat was a pee magnet. I threw it out and started using a hand towel on the floor that was hung over the side of the tub/towel bar after everyone's bath or shower. I love it, and I'll never have a bathmat again.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#24 of 41 Old 11-21-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post
They remind me of the matching set of fuzzy toilet seat and lid cover my Grandma used to have a million years ago.
Dh came home with one of those in dark green with not-quite-matching rugs. Hate them. In a pile in basemen.

I use the mats you can wash. But I don't wash them all that often - like maybe every few months.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#25 of 41 Old 11-21-2009, 11:32 PM

I have the bath mats (the kind with no rubber backing) that match my towels. They are slightly smaller and thicker than the bath towels, so you can tell them apart. I have 2 and change every time I change towels, so basically 2-3 times a week. I hang them on the edge of the bathtub after we shower. You can use regular towels, of course, but I like having dedicated floor towels. They are the best!
#26 of 41 Old 11-21-2009, 11:35 PM

We also use the washable ones, like in hotels. They're white so we can wash them on crazy high heats and sometimes even bleach. I pick them up after each person showers and hang them over the shower door(or the tub in the boys' bathroom) so they dry.
#27 of 41 Old 11-22-2009, 12:02 AM

We don't use them. We grab a towel if we need something on the floor.
#28 of 41 Old 11-22-2009, 01:45 AM

I have a soft washable bathmat that gets hung up over the side of the tub when we're done. And it gets washed with the towels every week or so.
It's kinda thick too, so it feels like a carpet on your feet. I don't like the feeling of a towel under my feet for some reason...and I really don't like stepping on other people's bathmats if they're already damp!

belly.gifMama to a Little Scientist (09/08) and our Ray of Sunshine (05/11).
#29 of 41 Old 11-22-2009, 10:25 AM

We just use a towel folded in half (or more if I need to kneel on it while bathing the little kids)

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#30 of 41 Old 11-23-2009, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post
This. The towel bathmats are like those hotels use.

I'll never go back to a rug in the bathroom.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page