Mothering Forum banner

OK I challenge YOU

5K views 153 replies 35 participants last post by  sunnysandiegan 
#1 ·
Who wants to do a 100 items out by Christmas challenge????

We've done these before on here but I think its been a bit.

You can donate, sell, recycle or trash em. It doesn't count just to put it in bags. You gotta get it at least in your car/trash/front yard etc.

Anyone anyone? Bueller, Bueller??

OK I'll start:
1.lazy susan
2. book
3.book
4, 5, 6. magazine file folder things
7. candle

All in a bag in my car to go to Goodwill tomorrow!! Yeah.

#129 ·
88-90. 3 blankets to hedgehog rescue
91. small animal carrier
92-96. litterboxes
97. small storage shelf set
98. bag of bottles, food dishes, etc
99. food dispenser
100. 4 cardboard tubes

woohoo! I did it! more to go, though.

101-105. 5 boxes of NEW glass ball ornaments
106. NEW box of clips for hanging lights on your roof
107. a few random ornaments we purged
108. bread knife (it was nice, but I finally made the decision to downsize)
109-111. 3 plastic water bottles

woohoo!

#130 ·
i listed 3 more things for sale but won't count them until they sell. i also gathered up some donation stuff.

1. tv stand
2. tea set
3. lamp
4-6. women's shorts
7-11. women's belts
12-17. men's belts
18. men's belt buckle
19. dress socks
20. FM transmitter
21-32. plastic hangers
33. anti-embolism tights
34. toothbrush case
35. cell phone case
36. soap dish
37. Lancome bag

#131 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
45. We finally started using our new crockpot (amazing 3-in-1 version!) and since it works, I recycled the majority of the box. Some of the packaging had to be trashed, though.
This box was HUGE and frees up a nice amount of space in our bedroom!
(It has been there since Black Friday, when we got it....regular price is $70+ depending on where you buy it and we got it for $27 brand new. Our old one needed replacing due to the finish wearing off of the crock interior and because it isn't quite big enough for us.)
46. I asked several neighbors if they needed the rest of our tube of construction adhesive and no one did. So, I tossed the tube and plastic and the rags I used into the trash. I recycled the box lid I had dragged the whole kit and caboodle around in while I finished adhering cabinet pieces and transition strips over the weekend.

46/100 = 46% of goal

I finally got the rest of our donations out of here and to the charity today!

47. old crockpot that was too small for us now
48. really old pair of tennis shoes (still look good on the outside and I hope someone else can use them, but they were not giving me enough support any longer)
49. book that was given to us, so we're passing it on now that we've read it
50. short-sleeve shirt of DH's that he hasn't worn since July (I turned all of our hangers backwards on July 31)
51. cheerleader costume that DD outgrew
52 - 62. new in packages floating candles - I have never burned a floating candle in my life, so I have no idea why I had so many. I don't even have a suitable container for doing so...

63 - 67. candles that have no place in our home and a candle holder I don't like
68 - 90. toys DD decided other children would like better than she does (all in good shape, too). These were all in one medium sized Trofast bin, but we kept the bin.
91 - 92. two stacking/nesting bins I have owned for 20 years! I no longer need them, but they still have plenty of life left in them.

93. kids chef hat DD outgrew

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!

93/100 = 93% of goal

I don't know if I'll get anything else out before Christmas, but hopefully I can meet the 100 items goal by New Year's Eve....

#132 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by meandk0610 View Post
do you count multiples of an item (for example, clothes hangers) as 1 thing or count each individually?
Totally up to you.

I counted children's hangers as one, but I counted each individual candle. No real reason except it was easy to ditch the children's hangers since DD will not need them anymore. It was harder for me to give the candles away, so I felt each one deserved mention.

#133 ·
more donation stuff.

1. tv stand
2. tea set
3. lamp
4-6. women's shorts
7-11. women's belts
12-17. men's belts
18. men's belt buckle
19. dress socks
20. FM transmitter
21-32. plastic hangers
33. anti-embolism tights
34. toothbrush case
35. cell phone case
36. soap dish
37. Lancome bag
38. stuffed dragon
39. plastic frog
40. toy airplane
41. boohbah toy
42-43. stuffed mama & baby monkeys
44. stuffed dog
45. glow worm
46. farm animal electronic toy

#134 ·
112. a book. I tried to take a whole box of books to Half Price books, but they only offered me $5.25 for the best 5 books, so I took them all back home + one more
... BUT I did give one of the books as a birthday present tonight!
and came home with 3 silly dressup hats.
sigh.
this is WHY I live in a house full of clutter.
one thing *out*, 3 things *in*.

#135 ·
added more donation stuff.

1. tv stand
2. tea set
3. lamp
4-6. women's shorts
7-11. women's belts
12-17. men's belts
18. men's belt buckle
19. dress socks
20. FM transmitter
21-32. plastic hangers
33. anti-embolism tights
34. toothbrush case
35. cell phone case
36. soap dish
37. Lancome bag
38. stuffed dragon
39. plastic frog
40. toy airplane
41. boohbah toy
42-43. stuffed mama & baby monkeys
44. stuffed dog
45. glow worm
46. farm animal electronic toy
47. stuffed bear
48. stuffed bunny
49. stuffed dog

#137 ·
So, before we move to the next thread- I think I finished, but didn't write everything down, so

1-25 clothes
26-31-pots & pans
32-42-stuffed animals
43-47-coasters and placemats
48-womens shoes
49-61-box of junk

62-68-books

I have 2 bags of diapers and 3 boxes of baby clothes I need to drop of to a lady in my moms group and I'll finish after my ds wakes from his nap. Progress
:

#138 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
I have fallen off the wagon, mainly due to a run of gastro bugs thru the family (me included
) and 2 days of vertigo (thanks to the jackhammer crew in front of the supermarket entrance, nothin but love for ya guys
)

BUT, I'm going out this afternoon sans kids and I'll put the following in my car to drop off:

1 bag of toys to donate to day care (about 10toys)
1 bag of clothing from the kids (20+)
1 bag of clothing from MY closet (who knows! at least 10 things)
pile of junk mail & magazines the kids cut up for crafts (15ish)
1 batch of muffins... gone the old fashioned way

Might add more to the car as I come across it during the day.
-Adding 2 warped frying pans in the bin,
-1 bag of assorted junk mail that has come in recently (and this time of year? LOTS OF IT)
-1 pair of jeans with holes in numerous places, in the bin
more kids clothes added to the donate bag
- off season clothes stored properly (ya know, instead of in a pile on my closet floor
)
-added several shirts I hate to the donate bag

I'm trying to concentrate on my bedroom as it's the catch all for crap
Making a fair dent in the closet floor & shelf space! Also spotted a box in the garage that has stuff that is likely donatable so I'm going to try to get to that when dh gets home. then I'm going to inform him he has to take it to St. Vinnie's for me

More to come during the day

#141 ·
Quote:

-Adding 2 warped frying pans in the bin,
-1 bag of assorted junk mail that has come in recently (and this time of year? LOTS OF IT)
-1 pair of jeans with holes in numerous places, in the bin
more kids clothes added to the donate bag
- off season clothes stored properly (ya know, instead of in a pile on my closet floor
)
-added several shirts I hate to the donate bag

I'm trying to concentrate on my bedroom as it's the catch all for crap
Making a fair dent in the closet floor & shelf space! Also spotted a box in the garage that has stuff that is likely donatable so I'm going to try to get to that when dh gets home. then I'm going to inform him he has to take it to St. Vinnie's for me

More to come during the day

-1 busted tupperware cheese grater (3pcs total)
-5 blades to a junky replacment attempt for said grater (the other pcs were tossed right after I got it.. these hid in my drawer)
-1 bag of tupperware collapsible bowls and such (20 items total!) that I had in t he bottom of the pantry to donate and forgot

-1 small bag of misc paper gathered from here & there around the house
-1 microfibre hair turban/towel that was a waste of money in the rubbish

#142 ·
today was trashing and recycling mostly. dd agreed to send a lot of doll house stuff that we had here from MIL's house back to MIL's house.
dd also agreed to donate her Dora fairytale castle and original dolls (ILs never got her anything to go in the dollhouse so she mixed everything).

50-70. all the doll house pieces, 2 hair trimmers and accessories, various paper recycling (i'm guessing at the total)

#143 ·
Quote:

-1 busted tupperware cheese grater (3pcs total)
-5 blades to a junky replacment attempt for said grater (the other pcs were tossed right after I got it.. these hid in my drawer)
-1 bag of tupperware collapsible bowls and such (20 items total!) that I had in t he bottom of the pantry to donate and forgot

-1 small bag of misc paper gathered from here & there around the house
-1 microfibre hair turban/towel that was a waste of money in the rubbish
-Adding a bag full of bubble wrap that was used as a toy and then shoved under a bed

- one TMNT toy (HUGE and stupid as it's more like a transformer) that I have always hated, it is now missing several pieces... kids were in the wading pool so out it went!

will take a break for lunch with the kids shortly and then back into it. I think I've already come close to 100 considering all the clothes and kitchen stuff! The toys will just be icing

#145 ·
EVEN if you are just now joining on Central time you have 50 hours left in this challenge as it ends midnight Christmas Eve. We will be on hiatus for 24 hours then start the new years challenge. So if you sleep 8 hours a night for two nights you still have 34 hours! That's only three things an hour. YOU can do it. You will jump start your enthusiasm for the next challenge.

#146 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post
Yes, I'm totally joining this challenge 3 days before Christmas, but if you saw my house, you'd understand why! We will begin tomorrow and get rid of 100 things by midnight on Christmas Eve!
You can do it! I AM fairly decluttered and I managed to find 100 items in the time I've been here... and I was sidetracked due to family illnesses and such. And if ya don't hit 100, no biggie, just hop on the 5 a day challenge after the holidays

#147 ·
Thanks! I really need this motivation. We're going to end up buried under "stuff."

I got some things into the car that are going away when DS and I run our errands today. So, here goes.

1. candle holder - Goodwill
2-3. shirts - Goodwill
4 - 11. placemats - Goodwill
12. gift for holiday exchange - DD to school
13-14. broken Christmas tree ornaments - trash

#148 ·
Here are more!

15. shoes - Goodwill
16. broken plastic piece (to what?) - trash
17 - 18. bags of aluminum cans for recycling (for $)
19 - 41. glass recyclables - won't take curbside
42. bag of diapers - center for abused children
43. outdated sitter instructions - trash
44. stack of old school calendars
45. 2009 wall calendar (that we rarely used)
46-56. solicitation letters for door prizes - various restaurants (I counted them individually because they had to be hand-delivered.)
57-58. freezer-burned veggies

Woo-hoo! Only 42 to go (and 9 more are solicitation letters and 5 are gifts to be mailed)!

#149 ·
Had hubby empty out the stuff in the chest freezer that were past their prime. Don't have exact numbers, but I know there was at least one meat pie that was embarassingly old in there. And the bag of shells & heads from last years christmas prawns finally went out in the wheelie bin to be taken tomorrow
This is truly embarrassing since we will be picking up this years christmas seafood platter tomorrow

There were a few other things in there so I'll say a total of 5.

#151 ·
66. candle and holder - 8 years old, never used!
67. old skirt
68. box of tea
69. old ice tea mix from back of cupboard
70. cream and sugar dish
71. bamboo roll mat and 2 sets of chopsticks
72. 2 wine & cheese themed plates
73. bowl and spreading knife set? (I'm not a fancy hostess type)
74. basket of batteries for recycling
75. bottle of bath oil
76. pilates bands
77. hat
78-83. old purses/bags
84. cleaned out old papers from drawer
85. a bunch of scrapbook paper

ETA ~
86. dress
87. 3 cheap serving trays
88. a bunch of scrapbooking stickers
89. ice tea collection
90. plastic baby spoon and fork
91. cleaned out old food from freezer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.