How to handle clutter coming in from kids' friends? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-29-2009, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter has a couple of friends who continually declutter their own toys/junk and 'gift' it to my daughter. It really is just junk (IMO), usually old and worn out clothes, random collector cards, old stuffed animals, etc.

The problem is that my daughter is so flattered to receive gifts from these kids that she's very touchy about letting any of it go (into the trash or to charity). I have no problem in getting rid of my own stuff, but it feels wrong to force my dd to let this clutter go, and I also don't feel very good about eliminating it behind her back...

I'm working hard to get rid of things we don't need and this totally goes against what I'm striving for... Any suggestions on how you've handled this with your own kids?

Thx!
#2 of 2 Old 11-30-2009, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a friend who does this also. She gives me her used European clothes because she knows I like them but by the time they've gone through all her 3 girls they're pretty stained and worn out. I usually keep everything for a while and if we never use it I donate it. Same with toys. She does not care what I do with them once they're in my hands. I have gotten some nice things from her though.

Just set a limit for how long you'll tolerate these things. I make myself keep everything for one month and after that I allow myself to get rid of it. I don't know how old your DD is but my kids, no matter how much they appear to love something at first they always end up losing interest. That's your chance to get rid of it.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page