"Hoarders" as a motivational tool for housekeeping? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 12-11-2009, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I watch the show. I'm actually kind of obsessed over it. Literally. I have OCD. I am doing much better. I feel like I *could* be a hoarder, but am not. I am pretty sure my dad was a hoarder. I watch this show as motivation AND behavior therapy. I absolutely understand what these people are going through. I grew up in a semi-hoarder situation. then I became an obsessive neat freak. I tend to shop/hoard/get messy in times of stress. This show helps me realize that stuff DOES NOT MATTER. I feel if I do a little at a time (clear off a table, do a load of wash, etc.) a little a day I'm ok. We just moved and doubled our square footage so this helps, but I am determined to have a stress free life. I know I can be a neat freak or a hoarder. I am working on a happy medium.

Julieknit.gif, DP to modifiedartist.gif, mama to DD (7)dust.gif , and DS (5)joy.gif

#32 of 35 Old 12-12-2009, 04:19 AM

Yup! This show has INSPIRED me!! I was glued to the TV watching in awe at the way those people lived... I've always had a issue with organization, but slowly but surely I'm gettin' there. I do NOT want to be one of those people when I'm older.

Mama to Kelsey born at 35w6d on 11-05-04 & Troy born at 33w6d on 10-03-09
#33 of 35 Old 12-13-2009, 08:24 PM

Every time I watch Horders or Clean House-Messiest Homes in America I get up an throw at least one bag of stuff out!

Lisa
#34 of 35 Old 12-15-2009, 07:48 PM

I've been thinking a lot about this thread. It occured to me that an important difference between Hoarders and other similar shows is that there isn't always a happy ending. I think it us useful for us organizationally challenged folks to know that there is work to be done. Niecy Nash isn't just going to sweep in and make it all better.
#35 of 35 Old 12-15-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masel View Post
I've been thinking a lot about this thread. It occured to me that an important difference between Hoarders and other similar shows is that there isn't always a happy ending. I think it us useful for us organizationally challenged folks to know that there is work to be done. Niecy Nash isn't just going to sweep in and make it all better.
You're right. I wish they'd do a longer term follow up to show if the people got the help offered and really changed or not.

I mean, I can organize my garange but within 3 months it will be destroyed again. How do we keep from doing that?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page