How small is "too small" for a bedroom? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 12-16-2009, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
what i would probably do is just allow the 2.5 year old to move into the "big boy room" when he's ready, and let the 8x12 be a toy room.
This is what I would do, too. I would make a sleeping room for the boys in the smaller of the two non-master bedrooms. Beds, a dresser, and nothing else.

I would make the third bedroom a study/play room, complete with desk space for each kid (maybe a desk for the oldest and a craft table with two chairs for the younger guys), a bookshelf or two, and organized toys.

As much as I believe in children having personal space and possessions, I also believe that independence can be nurtured even when children share rooms, toys, etc.
#32 of 35 Old 12-17-2009, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

The sleeping room idea appeals to me. The older boys WANT to share a room right now because they're afraid to sleep alone. I sleep with the 2.5 yo but soon I want to stop that, and then he will probably want to sleep with his brothers.

I can't imagine squeezing three beds into the smallest bedroom, but maybe I could put the three boys in the master, DH and I could have the medium room, and we could use the third for a study room.

We do have a downstairs room next to our garage that we use as a playroom. Someday we could probably put some desks down there as well.

For people with sleeping rooms, how do you deal with different bedtimes and the kids waking each other up early in the morning?!!!
#33 of 35 Old 12-17-2009, 01:36 AM

This: http://gallery.apartmenttherapy.com/...ick/item/51249

http://gallery.apartmenttherapy.com/...ick/item/43437

http://gallery.apartmenttherapy.com/...ick/item/43443

is the bedroom I'm sitting in right now and that the rest of my family is sleeping in. To be honest, I love it and I think it works so much better and intentional with the bed to the walls rather than looking like we jammed the bed into a too-small room with 6 inches of space on the sides (a former apartment that was the set up.)

The key to a very small bedroom in my opinion, is to think carefully about what you actually want in the room. We wanted TV, alarm clock, space for a few books and diapers, dimmable light for middle of the night changes, and a window for ventilation and light. It's the ideal cosleeping set up, because no one can fall out! The only issue in my experience is the challenge of making the bed, but I've gotten used to it, and I'm not a stickler for perfection on that anyway.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#34 of 35 Old 12-17-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

This is where you live? GREAT use of space! Love your whole apartment! It appears roomier than my house, which is probably much larger. Thanks for the photos.
#35 of 35 Old 12-17-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taubel View Post
I can't imagine squeezing three beds into the smallest bedroom...
Bunk beds - Specifically, one like this!

A single on top for your oldest and a double on the bottom for the youngest to share once your toddler is out of your bed and ready to move in with his brothers.

This certainly might not be a long term solution, but I can't see why it wouldn't work for at least the next several years. By the time your younger DC are old enough that sharing a bed might "cramp their style", you may be in a position to create a sleeping space in the downstairs area for one or more of them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page