What is your #1 housework tip? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 12-28-2009, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigio View Post
I talk on the phone and clean- I barely realize I'm doing it and after I have to think about whether or not I did something!
i do this without even realizing it and i accomplish so much! and i also can't find stuff afterwords. lol.

coffee is my #1 housecleaning tip. coffee cracks me out so bad. i drink a cup and i can barely hold a conversation.......it is an extreme upper for me. i drink a cup when i really need to accomplish things and it keeps me going all.day.long.
#32 of 36 Old 12-28-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry987 View Post
Another thing I do - clean the shower while I shower.
i have had this habit since i was a kid. when i started green-cleaning as a business it took *a lot* of figuring out how to clean someone's tub/shower without being naked in it.
#33 of 36 Old 12-28-2009, 07:50 PM

Don't sit down until your done. This is a big problem for me. Once I sit down, it's all over I get lost in the tv.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#34 of 36 Old 12-28-2009, 11:45 PM

Don't not do something just because you can't do it perfectly. You have to start somewhere.
#35 of 36 Old 12-31-2009, 05:35 PM

I love my various podcasts (The Moth, This American Life, Vinyl Cafe) so I make a rule to only listen to them while cooking in the kitchen or cleaning to motivate myself. I also try to keep cleaning as long as the podcast is playing (if possible) which gives me an extra few minutes to attend to the baseboards or wipe down one or two shelves.

I also follow the fly lady and though I don't have a clean sink I have gotten over the paralyzing habit of not cleaning/organizing because it can't be done perfectly the way I would like.
#36 of 36 Old 01-01-2010, 11:44 PM

great ideas

if i'm overwhelmed i use a timer. also, i like to take things down to a very tiny area, say, one part of the counter, or one area of the floor, and just get that area done, then move to the next one...realising that it only takes 5 minutes to deal with an area gives me more energy.

i also like to assign a room to a particular day, and once the room is consistently clean and tidy i can start doing special projects. otherwise i tend to do the special projects first because they are more fun

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page