The Challenge-Are YOU Up For It?? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirta View Post
Remember, because groceries are consumables, you are not penalized for them.. (unless you want to be..)

I personally would not count library books, since they are only going to be in your home for a set amount of time.. ie they are not coming in your house to LIVE.. Just my opinion..

Kym
I think somewhere in one of my rambling posts I mentioned why I am counting library books- basically for the extra challenge. I have a large revolving library book stash so I need the incentive to come home with less. Also I am doing pretty well with the overall tally and am not buying anything unnecessary so I figured I might as well take that opportunity to increase my goal! Once the decluttering begins, I am a glutton for punishment, LoL.

Today I gathered some more clothes and came up with 6 articles/ outfits. I bagged them with the couple bottles from yesterday's decluttering that were worth passing on, and picked one of the several stuffed animals DD still has- a hallmark bunny with buttercup embroidered on the hat. I was getting out of the car at the drop point and said "ok say goodbye to Buttercup" to D and my mom flips out like "WHAT?! You can't get rid of BUTTERCUP!!?!"
Turns out she was reacting to an old trauma- one day ALL her toys were taken from her room when she was in first or second grade. I explained that D has enough toys, & although I actually like Buttercup more than most of the stuffed animals, D doesn't show interest. She conceded but by that time we had been talking about the stupid bunny for five minutes, & D decided to show it some love. So I got talked out of that one! Actually Buttercup had been in the running against a "my first bear," which won out only because I figured her dad would notice it was gone... but I suppose the bear might get the boot after all!
108/210
Oh, another story about having trouble getting rid of something- and this is kind of a "you had to be there" type of funny but I have to share anyway-
our usual cashier at the grocery store by our house has been giving Dahlia Balloons the last couple months. We had an old latex one that got tied to the first mylar balloon she gave us around Thanksgiving, which was fall themed. Just a few days later when we were in, she insisted on giving us a huge turkey-shaped mylar balloon, and I mean HUGE! My mom was always turning it around, saying it bothered her that the turkey butt was facing us. Even as the fall one lost its lift and now two dead balloons were attached to this turkey balloon, the turkey balloon stayed afloat. My mom finally put her foot down on Christmas Eve and took it out to the dumpster in the parking lot out front. A couple days later she is carrying D in and is hurrying for some reason. Then she tells me that the balloon is up in a tree and she wonders, laughing now, if it will upset the baby to see her old toy. Later on she muses that it was silly to put it in the dumpster when it still had lift, and I said "well nobody wants to stab a turkey balloon" so we got a good laugh from that... and then we start imagining the person who opened the dumpster and unwittingly freed the balloons, how it must have flied in their face. We didn't even notice that it was gone from the tree but today after having a stroll around the building my mom said "you have to come see something funny" and someone had brought the turkey balloon inside and laid it out by the rear entrance. It still has a little volume to it, but no buoyancy. We laughed again, and my mom decided she is just bad at getting rid of things.
well this reminds me that there are two silvery star-shaped balloons in the living room, one of which was given to her today and I can't quite remember if the other was during this challenge or right before, but I suppose it should count as it is definitely clutter! :P so:
108/220
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM

We bought some homeschooling books for our oldest, so that set me back like a million points I am sure because we bought like 5 books.

But when I got home I cleaned out the bathroom some more and got stuff OUT OUT OUT of the house.

How are you guys doing this Monday?

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#303 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM

phew! yesterday was crazy! Between my husband and I we have two garbage bags of old ratty clothes to throw away and 2 garbage bags of clothes in good shape to drop off at goodwill. I bet there are at least 75-100 things just in that. And truth be told...MOST of it was my husbands!

Now today I will be going through a couple of boxes of misc. stuff in which I believe there will be a lot of stuff tossed. My garbage is FULL FULL FULL and no garbage service until Friday. Currently that is my biggest obstacle!

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#304 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 02:32 PM

We had a productive decluttering weekend here! Got my closet and dd's closet cleaned out and took 2 big bags of clothes and shoes to our local women's shelter. I've lost count somewhere along the way, but I'm sure I have reached my 150 so I'm starting over! New goal is another 150 by the end of January!
#305 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would like to join.

I have got rid of 60 items...but went shopping today and purchased 9 items...I guess that means I need to get rid of 45 items?

So I am at

15/150
#306 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 04:03 PM

Back after 4 days out of state. We had our "Christmas" w/ the ILs, so I'm not counting the gifts we got against us. Started decluttering this morning again, let's see...

-2 pringles cans (was keeping them to use as molds but I haven't done it yet. G'bye)
-30pcs kids' clothes added to Goodwill box
-1 empty DVD case
-50pcs of paper added to the recycling bin- counting as 5
-2 sets broken Christmas lights

185/150

I'm planning on getting to the "shred" paper pile, that'll be about another 100pcs of paper outta here

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#307 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Bought three things today, so I have to get rid of fifteen, plus the regular five.
#308 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 05:23 PM

I've stopped counting specific items, but WOW am I sure I've gotten AT LEAST 150!

I've filled one huge rubbermaid bin for goodwill, one for my husband to sort through, one for me to sort through once I get to cleaning out my dresser. Gave two bags of children's clothing away to two friends with younger children and still have two for the women's shelter. Been using my raggy clothes and single/old socks for deep cleaning and then pitching them and even managed to get some paint on the walls on new year's eve!

I'm still in a fury with several other 'hot spots' to go but thanks again for this thread. I'm going to do my best to keep up with it and do a little check in here and there when I get a chance.

I'm striving for simplicity!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#309 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post
I would like to join.

I have got rid of 60 items...but went shopping today and purchased 9 items...I guess that means I need to get rid of 45 items?

So I am at

15/150
Okay so tomorrow is garbage day and we usually have to pay to put garbage...but tomorrow, because of the holidays we don't have to.... that is only if both of our recycle boxes are full (they are!) So....in recycleables and garbage I got 150 items! Awesome..I cleaned out the fridge, cupboards, quickly went room to room! So...my new challenge for myself is 1000. (I count everything as one...like every piece of paper, not a stack as one)

so my new total is 165/ 1000
#310 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 PM

Late start, but I'm bound-and-determined to do this!!!

1. old sandals to TRASH
2. fake flower that has been on the ground *next* to the trash can for at least 2 months ... into TRASH
3. emptied lint collection can into the compost! (and dumped the compost crock!)
4-7. 3 Ikea wall-lamps to freecycle
8. dumped a bag of spoiled food from fridge
9-13. finally got rid of the 5 bags of spoiled tortillas from fridge (ok, DH did this yesterday, but I'm counting it)
14-15. bumbo + tray (sold for $20 !!)

(decided to clean out the toothbrush drawer ...)
16-24. threw away 9 toothbrushes
25-29. threw away 5 empty toothpaste containers
30-34. a few more random bits of trash ... gone!

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#311 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 08:12 PM

+ 51 Christmas cards! I decided to count each card/picture/letter ... because I need all the help I can get! I had to do this one on the sly because my kids would keep everything. I had found a stash from several years past. I kept a few pretty ones, so we can do crafts with them next year.

my count is up to 75. I might be going shopping on Wednesday ...

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#312 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
+ 51 Christmas cards! I decided to count each card/picture/letter ... because I need all the help I can get! I had to do this one on the sly because my kids would keep everything. I had found a stash from several years past. I kept a few pretty ones, so we can do crafts with them next year.

my count is up to 75. I might be going shopping on Wednesday ...
if you go shopping and bring stuff in you have to pay for it in spades!!! dont doooo eeetttt!!!

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#313 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2 garbage bags of toys, 2 cans of babyfood, and 10 pieces of 2t clothes DONATED

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#314 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM

I noticed how gross our basement/Man Cave was today when I was down there so vacuumed like crazy -- sucked up a bunch of beans from a "Don't Spill the Beans" game that is long gone and a million spider webs. As I went I picked up and threw away a bunch of random little plastic toys so ...

43-47 random things lurking in basement corners
#315 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
im just now joining but i have been decluttering since before christmas! i am not really keeping count, just going from room to room really getting rid of stuff, simplying and greening it up.

for instance, getting rid of all yucky unused cosmetics in the bathroom, or using up the good ones, replacing with cheaper/homemade stuff or just going without. (i never use make up or lotions! especially scenty stuff ick) i also am doing the no buying compact unless it is a green alternative that will make a huge difference. (ie, i didnt get dh anything for christmas, usually we do underclothes so for his birthday i want to get him some but make sure they are organic/sweatshop free etc, same with dd she has outgrown all her 2t so i want to get her organics in the next size)

im probably rambling now

mama to one '07 and one '09
#316 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 10:12 PM

Any one else have anxiety that your stuff is gonna come back to you? I find myself almost running away from the thrift store after I drop off and get my reciept--once I've decided to let something go I can't get away fast enough!

Out the door:
#191&192 mailed boxes of treasures to friends
#193 backpack
#194 kite
#195&196 skirts
#317 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 PM

76-85. clothes from DH closet to men's shelter (he picked)
86. wool diaper cover passed on to a friend

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#318 of 548 Old 01-04-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
if you go shopping and bring stuff in you have to pay for it in spades!!! dont doooo eeetttt!!!
oh, I know it! Imma still gonna do it ...

is it 5 items for each one that is "new" ?
is there a discount for buying at a resale shop ???

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#319 of 548 Old 01-05-2010, 12:25 AM

Did some shopping today so I had to get rid of 65 things today, but I did it!
#320 of 548 Old 01-05-2010, 01:13 AM

Is it too late to join?

I'll be at a huge disadvantage, since I started late, and won't be home from the 21st til the end of the month. If I start today, that will be 17 days I can declutter. But I'll probably forget a day or two, so let's make my goal 15 x 5 == 75 items.

What counts as a decluttered item? If, for example. I open a bill, and then toss an envelope and file the bill, does that count?
#321 of 548 Old 01-05-2010, 01:55 AM

2 = 20+ papers, kids' drawings etc to recycling
1 pr kids sunglasses to a friend's pile
1 shirt of mine to goodwill bag
4 bags of peanut sauce mix to trash (gone rancid)

65/150

ETA 2 old toothbrushes, several clothing tags, a box of old medicine to trash

call it 68/150
#322 of 548 Old 01-05-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
is there a discount for buying at a resale shop ???

--janis
Well I think you should get kudos for buying secondhand and avoiding new, but I think the primary focus of this challenge is more about the amount of stuff in our space; the reduction of negative environmental impacts from consumerism/excess are secondary. So my vote is NO! :P But this is a very self-guided thing so you choose what is right for you! If it would be the thing preventing you from buying new, then definitely build an incentive into your program.

I was just coming on here to report that I was taking the day off, and started thinking about WHY I didn't have a few extra minutes to declutter today- when I realized that I was! DUH! Actually I spent more time than usual because my mom asked me to start listing her books, she is FINALLY ready to let go (don't get me wrong, she's given away a few hundred in the last couple years, but she still has a few hundred hanging around that are obviously not going to be of any use to us!). So far we have:
13 books listed on Amazon and ready to go (other than a couple valuable ones, we are giving these 2 or 3 months to sell and if not they have to go!)
9 books in a "not worth selling" pile for her to place in the to-go pile at her discretion
5 books in the TO-GO (to the library where they will be sold for a quarter) pile! These are my five things for the day and when other books make their way out of here I will probably count them too! Even though some have been living in my mom's room, others are in the common area, and I am doing all the work of assessing their condition and value, listing them, etc. Sooo that puts me at 113/220! WHOO!
#323 of 548 Old 01-05-2010, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
12/26 - 4/5 (notepad, toy coin, frozen rabbit to IL's, CD)
12/27 - 16/6 (CD, 15 catalogs)
12/28 - 0/5
12/29 - 9 trash/paper, 101 items for donation! i packed them and moved them to the garage today, but will be dropping them off thursday
12/30 - 0/5
12/31 - 1 recycled book, 1 stack old biz cards recycled, 2 lotion trashed, 11 items to donation (dropping off today with stuff from 12/29) = 15/10
1/1 - 26 recycled, 2 trash
1/2 - 0/5
1/3 - 0/5
1/4 - 4 recycled, 6 trash, 6 donate

total = 189/150
#324 of 548 Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
1/4: bottles collecting on the kitchen counter (2)
1/5: old bottle of peony & licorice from pregnancy
old bottle of sun block
used up tube of toothpaste (that somehow got packed from our old house)
empty toothbrush packet
3 old magnets

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#325 of 548 Old 01-05-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivgaen View Post
Is it too late to join?

I'll be at a huge disadvantage, since I started late, and won't be home from the 21st til the end of the month. If I start today, that will be 17 days I can declutter. But I'll probably forget a day or two, so let's make my goal 15 x 5 == 75 items.

What counts as a decluttered item? If, for example. I open a bill, and then toss an envelope and file the bill, does that count?
I wont be home from the 19th to the 25th so I have tons of catching up to do for them too.

#326 of 548 Old 01-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivgaen View Post
Is it too late to join?

I think it's somewhat subjective and self-defined. I wouldn't count the bill in your above example as an item--it's just part of the routine upkeep of the household, as would be throwing away a cereal box after finishing the cereal. However, if you have a file folder full of old paid utility bills and you dump them, I'd count that as an item (or several) Or if you've been saving dozens of cereal boxes for some crafty thing you never get to, and you decide to let go, I'd also count that. There's no one right way--you can pick what feels good to you! Welcome on board.
#327 of 548 Old 01-05-2010, 01:03 PM

from yesterday:
20 glass ornaments to freecycle or donate
15 misc. ornaments to freecycle or donate
1 tree--trash ( I think the city actually shreds them..)
4 very large bowls full of ever green needles to compost
2 homemade ornaments to trash
5 misc items to trash
total 47/5

So far today
1 black garbage bag of greenery to trash
6 pieces DS's artwork
2 shattered decorations to trash.. (not intended)
1 stand for shattered decoration.. <sigh>
1 jesse tree to trash
today's total so far.. 11/5

12/29--27
12/30--37
12/31--0/5
1/1--5
1/2--32
1/3 --17
1/4--47
1/5--11

176/210-- (Penalties added for new things purchased.. )

Good thing I've done some extras in the past few days, cause I'm going shopping today... (planned purchases... Praying I can keep myself from buying anything extra!! And groceries, which of course don't count..)
#328 of 548 Old 01-05-2010, 01:47 PM

I bought some things yesterday that we needed. I'm not counting the rock salt as it's a consumable and I'm not counting those because they come and go constantly.

Anyway, I owed 30 extra and got rid of approximately 63 items yesterday. Purple Heart picked it all up this morning.

My new total is
207/200.

So I'm done!

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#329 of 548 Old 01-05-2010, 03:45 PM

Okay, yesterday I got rid of about 10 pieces of baby clothing, a flower pot, 4 old dishtowels, 6 pieces of my clothing, 2 old toys dd no longer plays with and/or has 2 or 3 of them. Grand total = 23 items yesterday!

Total = 78/175 (had to add some for some books I bought at Half-priced books)

Leslie, open-hearted mama to 3.5 yr old dd and almost 1 yr ds
#330 of 548 Old 01-05-2010, 03:47 PM

I got rid of even more stuff from our bathroom and am starting in the office today. Our office has tons of stuff that can just go!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page