The Challenge-Are YOU Up For It?? - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 548 Old 01-07-2010, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am pleased to report that the stack of books approved to go for donation has increased by 25! Got through another box today, again only adding two to our amazon listings :P. But we did sell a few books already and thanks to some pricey professional books that were sitting around, we've made about a hundred bucks! The rest is mostly novels though so we probably won't make another hundred before it's time to give all the books the boot.
142/220

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post
Oh yeah, I have a ?. My grandma is staying with us (temporarily as long as her plans go right). Do I need to count the stuff she is bringing in against me? I feel like its a no because her stuff likely won't be staying with us. Besides, she is bringing in a LOT of stuff, lol. Some of it she already owned, but she also is buying stuff too. She is a foodie and likes to cook. She has cooking supplies in three other family members houses too. If she doesn't have just the right tool for whatever she'd like to do she either won't make it or will go buy it. So, what do you all think?
I think your grandmother's things should only count in your favor. By supplies you probably mean food ingredients, but if she was going to buy anything non-consumable that would live at your house (like a certain type of cooking tool, I mean), then that would count against (in my book, anyway). Otherwise, no- you are hosting! You can't go pick through her stuff and get rid of it or not allow it in (LoL!) so that shouldn't count. But if she buys an ingredient that you don't use, getting rid of that would count toward your goal! Most people don't count groceries coming in because they are all going to be used, but when an ancient can of this or a half box of that are obviously clutter, getting rid of them counts!
...If the other family members (in whose houses she has stuff stashed) are close enough to visit, it would be nice to have them bring the stuff to make her feel more at home. Yes it goes against the purpose of the challenge, but then your grandma can use up those ingredients instead of buying a whole new one for your house! And, that's cabinet space in a relative's home that you are helping to declutter- instant karma .
#362 of 548 Old 01-07-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post
Oh yeah, I have a ?. My grandma is staying with us (temporarily as long as her plans go right). Do I need to count the stuff she is bringing in against me? I feel like its a no because her stuff likely won't be staying with us. Besides, she is bringing in a LOT of stuff, lol. Some of it she already owned, but she also is buying stuff too. She is a foodie and likes to cook. She has cooking supplies in three other family members houses too. If she doesn't have just the right tool for whatever she'd like to do she either won't make it or will go buy it. So, what do you all think?
First off, welcome! As to the bolded part, I think it depends on whether the tools go with her when she moves. If they stay in your house, I think they're your clutter. For me, hosting someone's stuff is the worst because you can't throw it out at will. And presumably the tools she's buying aren't essential to you or you'd already have them, right? So I'd make sure she knows that whatever she brings needs to go with her when she moves.
#363 of 548 Old 01-07-2010, 03:06 PM

Uh-oh... I went shopping today and brought in 9 items...
I feel good about it though, cause they were all for cleaning/organizing

Here's my total so far:

01/06: 36 items
01/07: -9 items
running --------
total: 25/75

(My goal is half, since I'm on vacation starting the 21st, and started late).
#364 of 548 Old 01-07-2010, 03:29 PM

eek, i've forgotten to post in a while!

culled:

2 bags of clothing - 35 items or so
table
2 chairs
4 large boxes
broken kiddy gate
2 push toys

total:
#365 of 548 Old 01-07-2010, 03:54 PM

14 more items chucked.
That bring's todays new total to 5 for the day.

01/06: 36
01/07: 5

41/75

Hmm... Perhaps the magic number of 150 won't be too difficult to achieve after all, even considering that I'm leaving on the 21st...
#366 of 548 Old 01-07-2010, 04:51 PM

-1 empty dvd case
-Sent over 30 plastic bags to the bag recycling bin at the supermarket so giving myself 1pt for each 10 bags
-2 old shaving creams DH didn't like

232/150

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#367 of 548 Old 01-07-2010, 05:01 PM

Got rid of some of Kate's undies that no longer fit her and socks. She even helped me! We put them in a bag to donate to other children and she says that she cannot wait for those kids to get her "presents".

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#368 of 548 Old 01-07-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post
-Sent over 30 plastic bags to the bag recycling bin at the supermarket so giving myself 1pt for each 10 bags
Thanks for mentioning that.. I totally forgot to count the large bag of bags I brought to the store recycling box the other day... I think I will do what you did and give myself 1 point for every 10.. I'm pretty sure it was about 30, so that means 3 points... plus the misc.. stuff thrown away earlier:

1/7 8/5

242/255 -- (Penalties added for new things purchased.. )

Kym
#369 of 548 Old 01-07-2010, 09:18 PM

76 - Silly plastic watch dh bought me (that says "Facebook Ruined My Life" -- I love Facebook! ... and am too old for plastic watches)
77 - penguin that a necklace came in
78 - a bra that doesn't fit
79 - a bracelet I never liked
80 - handmade plastic necklace

81-85 - children's books to be given away

Yay!
#370 of 548 Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 PM

-small random pieces of broken toys, etc, we'll say +2 b/c they were small
-2 cardboard boxes that were just cluttering up my sideboard

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#371 of 548 Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 PM

My first foray into preemptive decluttering: I canceled a subscription to a magazine that I wasn't digging (no, not you Mothering) thus saving money, time, and trash. I had five issues remaining, so I'm giving myself five items. 220/210
#372 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 12:05 AM

01/07 Helped eldest dd bag up one bag of clothes no longer fitting. Haven't counted yet, just didn't want to forget . I will edit when I count. nak

31 items

92/150

blogging.jpg

#373 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 12:08 AM

Got my 5 today! Then bought five new pairs of underwear so I need to get rid of 25 more things. That will have to wait until tomorrow though.
#374 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 01:21 AM

Too much to individually write out, but I pitched a lot. And went and bought bins to organize DS's toys and a duster for me, so my tally is now: 60/185

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#375 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 AM

Got through another box of books today- third box in a row from which only two books were worth listing! But we are up to six sold now, so ....it works.
I guess for now I am still at 142/220 ...might be able to update later with an improvement tho!
#376 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 11:50 AM

Cleaned out an upper closet shelf and under my kitchen sink.

-more little random pieces of trash, an old phone charger, plastic container +4
-1 disgusting scrub brush that wasn't even ours and has been sitting under the sink since before we bought this house 20 months ago
-empty coffee can saved for goodness knows what
-large ziploc bag of old bottle nipples
-3 empty boxes from toys in recycling now

ETA~ cleaned off our dining room stereo shelf

-2prs broken scissors
-10 pens/ markers that are out of ink trashed (giving +1 for 5 pens)
-1 broken flashlight head
-3 old chapsticks
-another thermos added to the give away box

more kitchen decluttering

-3 plastic kids cups w/ crazy straws- SIL gave these as a party favor for my neice's bday- we try to limit plastic especially the cheap stuff- g'bye
-broken whisk

#377 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I signed up for this challenge but haven't started decluttering yet. Life has been a bit busy with DD starting preschool on Jan 4rth. I'll cruise along from Jan 10th - 30th - 20 days, 5 each - making a total of 100 items.

Off to read the thread from the beginning to get me motivated.

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant
#378 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 02:00 PM

so far today 22 cat toys & 1 bag cat treats.. freecycler will be picking them up later

1/8 23/5

Total for the Month 265/255 -- (Penalties added for new things purchased.. )
#379 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 02:02 PM

went through a few of the craft drawers

-3 empty plastic coffee containers (recycling)
-empty chalk box
-random trash cluttering the drawers
-yucky paintbrushes trashed

#380 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Still at it. I did bring in a few things so I have to work EXTRA hard to keep it balanced.

Again, I've stopped counting for the most part but am making the extra effort.
I cleaned out my craft space and a few of the items I brought into the house were for organizing. Three baskets and three rubbermaid bins. I do have people from freecycle coming in the next day or two to pick up one box of unwanted yarn and three boxes of books- woohoo. You can actually WALK into our closet now!

Today I began working on the office. Plenty of work in there still to go. A few notable things I pitched: an old cell phone, jewel cases, blank index cards that had browned, x-mas cards from years ago I never sent

I last extra item I have to make up for is a piece of fiber equipment I purchased

I'm going back to attack more clothing. I realized that my most dreaded task in the entire housework sphere is laundry and I think it's because there is just TOO MUCH and it's just out of control. Even though I have given away two boxes worth I still have AT LEAST that much more to go to get things down to a more manageable level.

keep it up! Everyone is doing GREAT

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#381 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 03:25 PM

I thought this needed it's own post. I quickly counted the books because the lady from freecycle is on her way

WOW! Some of them were hard to put in there too, ones the authors signed for me, old textbooks I thought I'd never get rid of classic etc!

#382 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 03:49 PM

I wont lie, I cannot get rid of books. I have thousands of them and our library at home is well stocked.. but yeah. I cant.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#383 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 04:45 PM

89-105. winter items to freecycle because it's unbelievably COLD here: 3 blankets, 2 pair gloves, 2 hats, 2 pair longjohns, 6 pair socks, 2 fleece footed jammies
106-126. Christmas ornaments !! to freecycle

yay! I almost forgot I had gotten rid of those things ... it's been a long week for me.

I'm hoping to clear out some stuff in the kitchen later.
--janis

(adjusted goal, due to shopping expedition: 330)

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#384 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 04:58 PM

At 50.

Plus 36 baby washcloths....not sure how to categorize those.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#385 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
I wont lie, I cannot get rid of books. I have thousands of them and our library at home is well stocked.. but yeah. I cant.
Try to be gentle on yourself. What I kept in mind as I was going through them
Am I really going to pick up this book and read/refer to it again?

No lie, it wasn't easy. Ecology books, novels I either never got around to reading or won't re-read again, textbooks (by the time I really want to refer to that stuff again I'll just go to the library info will be more up to date anyhow), cookbooks I haven't referred to in 1-2 years.

I feel lighter.

I also began attacking more of my school notes, one big bag of recycling, what I'm struggling with right now are the old journals

and totally OT, but where on earth do you keep your diploma? I'm tucking mine away in the closet, seems better than the bookshelf I had it on.

#386 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 06:00 PM

I keep my college diplomas framed at my office.

and i have a huge issue with my school notes, especially like my thesis. i worked so hard and learned so much I dont want to get rid of it!!

#387 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 06:35 PM

I just did some more MAJOR work. I was able to reduce journals notes and notebooks from three shelves full to basically one. There is about one shelf full of notebooks that only were slightly filled up, so I ripped out the old stuff and set the notebooks with plain paper in them aside for my children to sketch/doodle/write in. I'm contemplating going back and clearing those out but I'll save that for another day.

My thesis is hard bound so that's easy enough to keep on the bookshelf, the means by which I got there, well I don't so much care anymore. I don't have an office so I think the closet is the best place for my diploma for now.

I feel good about my work, although I feel utterly exhausted. One HUGE bag full of recycling with certainly thousands of papers in them. I think that counts for at least 100 items.

#388 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 08:04 PM

freecycler came and took the cat toys!

just got rid of 30 more misc items that had been in my stash and grab box from one of my Crisis cleaning sessions... some of it was truly trash, but since I have been storing it for a while I counted each item as a single item!

1/8 53/5

Total for the Month 295/255 -- (Penalties added for new things purchased..)

Kym
#389 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
I keep my college diplomas framed at my office.

and i have a huge issue with my school notes, especially like my thesis. i worked so hard and learned so much I dont want to get rid of it!!
Can you scan it and save it on a disc?
#390 of 548 Old 01-08-2010, 09:29 PM

Checking in-- I got my five in today, and also thirty in penalties.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page