The Challenge-Are YOU Up For It?? - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2010, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 piles of papers to recycling
2 pairs of pants and one shirt cut up for rags - we plow through rags around here so this is good - never mind that it keeps me from wearing holey clothing LOL - they're comfy so I kept reaching for them

5 so far for today

148/150

I'm going to keep going to try to make the 168 I need this month for 2010 in 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We are still freakin sick. So sick of sick.

10 large metal stars to my bff
I also have a stainless steel crock for utensils and a white utensil crock ready to go if she wants them.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:20 AM

Out:
330-3: Canning jars
334-6: books
337: shirt
338-41: pillows
342: computer microphone

I'm really feeling a shift in the energy of my home these last couple of days--I think I've reached some sort of critical mass of decluttering. It's getting easier to let things go and at the same time easier to say no to new things. So far the only new things I've brought into my house this year are replacements for broken items, some essential oils and a spool of thread. Hurray!
Old 01-17-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treespeak View Post

I'm really feeling a shift in the energy of my home these last couple of days--I think I've reached some sort of critical mass of decluttering. It's getting easier to let things go and at the same time easier to say no to new things. So far the only new things I've brought into my house this year are replacements for broken items, some essential oils and a spool of thread. Hurray!
I agree with this. I noticed, as of about three days ago, that I suddenly have more time on my hands and I don't feel so "behind" on everything any more. I mean, not that I have nothing to do! But it feels a lot more manageable.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Just boxed up 32 books to go out! I'll be taking them tomorrow. I know I threw/gave away some other stuff, too, that I did not log here. Have to remember what it was.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 PM

226. broken cookie cutter to trash !
227. Mayo Clinic baby book - you know, the free one that is humongous and useless? RECYCLED it today, after carrying it around for 10 years
228-231. 4 bins of paper files to recycling, by DH - I'm sure there were 300 pieces of paper (DH even took the paper/cardboard to the recycling drop-off today!)
232-233. the boxes for our tv, which is less than a month old - yay! they got recycled in record time!!
234-238. the other paper recycling bins were emptied, as well as cardboard boxes from Christmas! (probably about 25 boxes, altogether)
239-245. cleaned out leftovers from fridge this week (chickens were very happy)
246. cleaned up the dead poinsettia leaves ... trying to keep the plant alive, though

247-248. HUNG UP two pictures that have been sitting on the piano for 3 years
249. HUNG UP the belly-cast that a friend painted - received on her one year birthday, and I hung it after only 7 days

(I'm counting the hanging up items because in their waiting stage, they were just clutter)

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Old 01-17-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
247-248. HUNG UP two pictures that have been sitting on the piano for 3 years
249. HUNG UP the belly-cast that a friend painted - received on her one year birthday, and I hung it after only 7 days

(I'm counting the hanging up items because in their waiting stage, they were just clutter)
This is a great point: finishing up a project like this is a perfect way to take clutter and turn it into something that actually adds to your life. (Provided the pictures/items make you feel good.) I might just be stealing your idea this week.

Easy day for me:
343-351: Dvds
Old 01-18-2010, 12:04 AM

I have not been keeping an exact count but SO MUCH has gone out of the house since we got back in town on Jan 7th.

-Lots paper and old cards, magazines etc have gone out with the recycling.
-Two bags of old sheets and clothes went to the charity shop.
-An old, nasty futon has been trashed.
-Amazing amounts of junk - bits and pieces of ???, broken toys, etc. have been thrown in the garbage.

Best of all, the kids AND DH have gotten in on the decluttering - I never thought I'd see the day!

Sellable toys, clothes, books and odds and ends are on a shelf in the garage, waiting for the "car boot sale".

DH has been sorting his old papers and getting rid of stuff.
There is a lot of stuff I have been hanging on to for years and I think I am just about at the point where I can let it all go.
I can't wait to feel good in my clutter-free home!
Old 01-18-2010, 12:12 AM

12/29—27/5
12/30—37/5
12/31--0/65
1/1—5/5
1/2—32/5
1/3 –17/5
1/4—47/5
1/5--40/45
1/6 20/5
1/7 8/5
1/8 53/5
1/9 0/20
1/10 0/5
1/11 30/5
1/12 14/5
1/13 20/10
1/14 87/5
1/15 30/105
1/16 2/5
1/17 22/5
Total for the Month 500/380 -- (Penalties added for new things purchased..)

for some reason I think I'll be able to manage 2010 in 2010 without a problem! (sadly it could be in part because of all the junk we still have laying around this house... <sigh> )

Kym
Old 01-18-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treespeak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
I agree with this. I noticed, as of about three days ago, that I suddenly have more time on my hands and I don't feel so "behind" on everything any more. I mean, not that I have nothing to do! But it feels a lot more manageable.

I hope to be able to say both of these/feel these someday...
Old 01-18-2010, 12:25 AM

i'm joining you late! very late!! but i only have 2 weeks left in canada before we head back to living in england, and this place could use some attention before i abandon it to whatever guests of my folks may use it over the next 6 months.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Got my 5 in today.

-2 broken maracas I've been saving thinking I'll fix. Sadly, they've been in the cabinet for over 6mo. Buh-bye
-1 broken costume jewelry bracelet I thought I would fix. Nobody's missed it the last, oh, I don't know, year???
-2 broken magnet
-1 old bottle of lotion

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:19 AM

aha! catching up one by one.
i tossed seven bottles of 10-year old spices and cleaned the beautiful canisters to take with me.
i posted my wrap for sale.
i posted our sound system for sale i hadn't got round to, let's hope for $$$!
i tossed some papers from an old 'flylady' binder + removed some great file tabs to take with me.

little by little!

Old 01-18-2010, 04:04 AM

We brought three kiddie comic books into the house for DS, so I had to get rid of 20 things today; so I recycled a big box of old papers. That was probably several thousand pieces of paper! If I were counting each one, I'd have done 2010 in 2010 just today. But I'm just counting it as the 20.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:15 AM

My last count was 348.... Shortly after my last post (in which we brought 102 books to the library), we discovered some bags of books that had been forgotten under the table- it was 88 more books (in 8 bags, bring my total up to 356, no idea why I'm still bothering to count!), so including the 22 books we brought in the beginning of the month, we have donated 212 books to our library this month! Of course many are my mom's so each individual book doesn't count toward my own total...
Today we finally made the long trek up to my ex's! No way to count everything I got rid of there, except that it all managed to fit in four small/medium bags- first, a TP bag that had been left in the closet after the last roll was used , I more than filled that with the toiletries I wasn't willing to part with a year ago but have lived without for 9 months now and obviously don't need! This is when I discovered the first bit of evidence that his brother is a sociopath... more on that later- the rest that went into trash was from throughout the house, including mail (they don't recycle there and I was not about to bring it on the 3 bus + train ride home!!) and I don't even know what else. Old receipts. Nothing large. Then eventually I realized I couldn't avoid making a donate pile, where I put at least four dozen items of clothing DD outgrew. DX wanted to keep some DVDs that were going into that pile, and 2 DVDs came home with me. Also took a huge chunk of the newborn diaper stash, hoping most of it sells! Not counting it since it just shifted from one household to the other and I am going to have to get rid of it whether it is here or there. Ok on to the sociopath bit.
I discovered that my knife set (which I was pretty anal about- wouldn't let any of the knives sit in the sink or go through the dishwasher) has been ruined by DX's younger (21 y.o.) brother who was staying over a couple nights a week for a while. He apparently broke off the tips of several knives and put others to flame......
Also as I was going through my stuff in the bathroom closet (which has been pretty much the only stuff in there since DX's older brother's BF moved out), I discovered that used q-tips (like with ear wax on them) had been just tossed in there... all over. in with some stuff I had in baskets, just sitting amongst the bottles, everywhere. Probably 3 dozen or so... and both ends had been used! So this person was doing this habitually... and that's just the kind of thing he does apparently. The q-tips were in there and the trash was just inside the bathroom (3 feet and a doorway away- apparently a stretch for him) so he just chucked them right there. I was ....amazed. Just had to share!
ETA: so I don't know if I should give up counting or what, but I think today should count as fifty. I'm not counting the items that I set aide for donation or the stuff I organized that is ready to be moved into some yet-to-be-found-or-afforded new place. Just what was trashed mostly small things but definitely at least fifty of them.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:58 PM

way to go- everyone!!

so, what the next challenge going to be?

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

Old 01-18-2010, 02:28 PM

nak

went through my underwear drawer. ugh. what a waste. i don't feel comfortable donating underwear, so i tossed:

-50prs underwear. some of them were only worn 1x, but then i got pg and my weight and shape has never been the same. i was saving them and telling myself that maybe they'd fit *someday*, but y'know what, if I'm going to go through the trouble of losing weight and reshaping my body, i'm going to get new underwear as a reward, gosh darnit.
-2 nursing bras way past their use.
-2 sachets that lost their smell (they must be close to 10yrs old and have just kept movin' w/ us)

Donating:
-4 bathing suits. same story as the underwear.
-lonely pr of tap pants
-camisole that doesn't fit

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

Old 01-18-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior View Post
way to go- everyone!!

so, what the next challenge going to be?
I'm wondering too!

Got DH to declutter the old computer cords etc. 13 more items out #352-365
Old 01-18-2010, 03:27 PM

Added to the donate pile:

-George Foreman grill
-infant bathtub

Old 01-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I didn't bother to count, but last week I took two carloads of clothing to the Goodwill and threw away a great deal more that was not usable.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:44 PM

Today's items so far have been:

old swimsuit coverup
nordstrom giftbox (thought I was going to keep it for my DD's drawings)
old toothbrush
pantyhose with a hole
expired vitamins/medicine

and I'm quite certain there will be quite a bit more to come since my work just called and said "hey, happy MLK we changed our minds, no work after all"

I think I can tackle a couple of the areas that I have been avoiding (laundry room cupboards = very scary)

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

Old 01-18-2010, 05:23 PM

It's taken me many years and a lot of help to get this far.... Anyway, I have definitely met my quota for today. Got rid of another box of papers and threw out a few old pairs of underwear.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:59 PM

DH has taken my older 3 to the park for a few hours, the 1yo is napping, so I've attacked the utility room.

Donating:
-3 Little People sets (I'm counting each of these as 2 b/c they have the main piece AND all the little things that go w/ them, people, fences, animals, sigh...)
-75 pieces of clothing/ shoe pairs

Trash or recycling:
-1 set of old drapes (they're too worn for use, but they can go to our county's textile recycling)
-about 15 little toys/ pieces of toys/ accumulated toy cr@p
-5 cardboard boxes
-1 old shower curtain liner
-3 plastic drop cloths/ mattress bags

Old 01-18-2010, 08:00 PM

Worked a little on the office/ my studio:

Donating:
-3 formal dresses
-2 formal handbags
-1 baking dish

Recycling:
-15 empty boxes broken down
-about 100 random sheets of paper/ magazines/ old instruction manuals (counting as 20)

Trashed:
-packaging materials/ plastic boxes from electronics/ cases (I'm counting this as 15)
-random stuff laying all over the floor that needed to go (I'm counting this as 10- there was A LOT!!!)

I'm definitely looking at things w/ new eyes now. Just standing in the doorway of my utility room, I can still see at least 20 things I want to declutter.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior View Post

I think I can tackle a couple of the areas that I have been avoiding (laundry room cupboards = very scary)
The scarier the better! We're all rocking out.

Two terracotta pots bit the dust in the storm were having. #366 & 367. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:38 AM

Awesome job, mamas! Keep at it!

We are still in some strange breakdown mode here. I'm still amazed that my mother has done such a 180 and is now getting rid of everything. I only did two things so far today, bringing me to 408. Definitely have some more I can do here
eta - Taking some cues from you ladies - Found two old bottles of vitamins and two pairs of underwear to chuck... also recycled a couple ancient things from a craft bin I discovered: a little plastic container that needed to go and a pile of paper scraps (probably about a hundred little pieces, but counting as one since it was construction paper that didn't require any sorting and all came from the same spot). Got three pieces of mail ready to go out today, bringing it up to 417!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i have gotten rid of so much that i stopped counting, but i did want to post that i'm still going, still decluttering every day.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:23 PM

I did it!! I did it!! I did it!!

I didn't think that I would be able to find 150 items to declutter since I started late, and leaving for vacation in 2 days. But I did all 150 -- I feel so awesome!

Thanks for starting this thread. I can't wait to keep going, and I will definitely find something to get rid of (of equal volume) for everything that I am bringing into my home (with the exception of needed furniture).

Now... what is my reward going to be? hmm...
Old 01-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Made my quota today, and then some.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:13 PM

way to go kivgaen!

I enjoyed my reward!

and then I kept on going!