The Challenge-Are YOU Up For It?? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is so great! Since I started late I only have 5 done so far...but for me that is amazing!!
1 - elephant stuffie
2 - coo coo clock
3 - play drill
4 - bag of gDiapers (put on FB, but if they dont sell in a week, then Freecycle.)
5 - old medications (this was the best! I didnt know I had that many expired medications! I also put them in a ziplock bag and put them on the top shelf of my walkin...i have been meaning to do that forever!)

Thanks for the inspiration!

Alisha , mama to 2 DS (4&2) Due April 2010 with #3!!
#122 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 01:52 PM

I hope it's not too late to join! This will be my first challenge and I sooooo need this! I'm hoping to start right now!

Kristin, Mommy to 3 boys : (11,9,5) :

#123 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 01:57 PM

I'm totally up for it! We're decluttering in preparation for a baby in June. Am off to a big start. Drove into the city today with about sixty books that I am NEVER going to read again. Got $20 plus parking reimbursement. Also am curbing a bookcase with a Freecycle alert. I'm sure someone can use it, but really, do I need five bookcases?
#124 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 03:59 PM

I'm so joining! I'll get rid of 15 items in order to catch up.

Goodbye junk!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#125 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 04:23 PM

Threw out my 5 things today. Still on track.
#126 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 05:07 PM
air

127- pair of socks with holes in the heels
Not going to count it but made my DH take 3 huge bags of bottles to the recycling place for a refund and today the trucks picked up Christmas recycling cardboard etc. Glad it is out of the way.
Going to also have DH go thru several CD binders to get rid of old mixed CDs etc. They are just sitting and he always uses his MP3 player in the car now. There must be close to 150 CDs
It feels good to make progress, sad to think that the large amount of things I have purged doesn't seem nearly as big as I thought it would look
#127 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 05:39 PM

Counting distracts me from the actual decluttering, but so far i have a nice box chock full of misc items. As well as a basket, with a bunch of outgrown pairs of shoes and other things.

I think I am putting off doing the clothes I've been planning on sorting through. Because I keep going through things I've already done. The upside is, though, that I keep finding more things to get rid of. My husband keeps asking me if I am going to leave anything in the closets and cabinets...
#128 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm into decluttering! Whether I'll make the 5 a day or not is another issue, but, I will be diligent with the time I have (I'm a full time WOHM with a pre-schooler and a baby). I made a major dent in decluttering my daughter's clothing with my SIL's visit over Christmas. Tonight I'll list up what she decided not to take to get it ready for donation. Then, I'll seal up the TWO BOXES of clothing that she wasn't able to fit in her suitcases. I'm sure I got rid of 50 pieces easy!

I threw away a plastic bee toy from a Bee Movie promotion .

I just left a message for a local women's shelter whose website said they need all kinds of yarn. Well, I've got 7 bins full in my basement (and an order on the way), so, I hope to unload a bunch on 'em!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#129 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 06:30 PM

Is it too late to join? Both DH & I are serious in getting items out of the house which are just cluttering up everywhere! I already can picture areas which need some serious attention. Here's to catching up to everyone else.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#130 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 07:03 PM

ive been.. busy.. busy. my son turned 7 on the 26th and im still trying to recuperate after the intense days before and after Christmas..but i think im ready to tackle this..so im off to find 15 things to add to my box of freestore stuff.
will check back in when im done.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#131 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 07:09 PM

I'm in! Starting today with the bathroom and linen closet.

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#132 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 07:31 PM

Fantastic! I did the 100 items by Christmas but this is another great idea. Looks like I need to do 15 today to catch up.

:
#133 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 08:40 PM

i didnt count, but i would say that i have over 100 items. i had a large bag which is now bursting at the seams. i went through toys, dress-ups, christmas things that im putting away, clothes as i was putting away after washing. i have lots more to go but i feel like im in the groove now!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#134 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 PM

I'm in. I started on the 26th but didn't post to the thread. I filled DH in on it, too. We desperately need to go through and declutter. So far I've gotten rid of:

-5 empty Borax boxes sitting on my laundry room floor (why didn't they make it into the trash to begin with???)
-a stack of waxed cereal bags (I really wanted to wash them and reuse them, but life is too hectic for me right now and there WILL be more cereal)
-5 broken VHS
-2 empty dvd cases
-a child's harness (we used it 1x in Disney World 3yrs ago and now a piece is missing and we've never used it since)
-4 expired/ gross facial products/ lotion
-2 magazines
-misc. paperwork

I'm at 21/150. Off to read the rest of the thread.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#135 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 08:58 PM

I'm at 23/150.

We're in temporary housing, and only brought about half of our belongings with us, so I didn't think we had enough for me to declutter 150 things. I'm giving it my best, though!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#136 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 09:27 PM

I'm in! This will be my first MDC challenge. I'm doing Motivated Moms this year and will just add this to my list of things to do. Today I put in the garage to give away:

1-2 toddler bed rails
3 pair of shoes
4-5 toddler slippers

a few other things, too, but I'll start counting again tomorrow. I'm also going to try and Freecycle a nice camera that takes film, wonder if anyone will want it?
#137 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 PM

i'm in!

so far:

2 paper grocery bags full of kids clothes
broken drum kit pedal
pyrex pie plate
broken chair
lots of old paperwork and bills from long ago
15 plastic plant pots that were cracked from cold temps
california baby massage oil - eeewwww, rancid
broken wooden comb

eta: a sweater and a shirt to my sister
#138 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 11:11 PM

day 1:

32 books
1 pair of boots
1 candle holder
2 other things i can't remember

total:

36 items

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#139 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 11:20 PM

okay I'm continuing from my list on post 110...

2 more worn out sock (used them for scrubbing out my washing machine before pitching them)
1 dirty empty knitting needle cable case
2 more pairs of children's shoes
1 HUGE bag of recycling

this brings me up to date, 15 purges for a total of 37 items...

I feel like I almost need to get a head start on tomorrow!

(I also realized that while doing laundry I pitched another 5 or so items into my outgrown/women's shelter bin so there are more than I'm counting... which is good! My house needs it so!!!)

Already when I walk into my living room I feel better/more relaxed/relieved. I can feel this working already! Please ya'll help me keep it up!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#140 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

MDC moms rock The Challenge
You guys are doing SO freakin good. It is NEVER TO LATE TO START!!!!! Join at anytime. Like I said I only went for 150 items even though tech there are more days than that between Dec 26th and Feb1. But heck we are moms, wives, partners, busy women. I allowed for days when it isn't possible or they who found the challenge later.

Don't forget when you finish decluttering a cabinet, a drawer, a shelf, a closet stop and look around. Feel the change in energy. You will be shocked at how wonderful it feels.
#141 of 548 Old 12-28-2009, 11:49 PM

Welcome all! Not much time to work today, but I did get rid of five things:
two blankets
two cookbooks
mailed a borrowed book back to a friend--unfinished projects clutter my mind space. It feels good to have that bit of clarity back!

"Nothing is sacred except you"--Brooks Palmer, Clutter Busting
#142 of 548 Old 12-29-2009, 12:19 AM

Didn't get to declutter today. I spent all day in the ER with my grandmother - she's doing just fine now.

Hi Amy!!

Leslie, open-hearted mama to 3.5 yr old dd and almost 1 yr ds
#143 of 548 Old 12-29-2009, 01:48 AM

My first challenge, but came at a perfect time. I've been going crazy with the chaos in my house and I have a TON of stuff I need to get rid of! DH and I sent the kids to grandmother's house and we got rid of an extra large garden bag full of toys and clothes to send to Goodwill! I know that's a ton more than five, but if i only did five a day I wouldn't get very far ;-) And yesterday I got rid of 4 bags of old clothes and a rice cooker that only made sticky rice.
#144 of 548 Old 12-29-2009, 01:50 AM

Count me in! Thus far, I've gotten rid of 23 items.

I'm feeling weighed down by clutter and I have so much to get rid of, but I always think of some reason to keep things. I have to overcome that.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#145 of 548 Old 12-29-2009, 03:49 AM

3 sweaters of DH's to the goodwill bag

37/150
#146 of 548 Old 12-29-2009, 05:37 AM

Well today I spent a few minutes giving the coat closet a more thorough straightening than it usually ever gets. I thought I'd gotten everything back in place after my grandmother's ten-day visit (no clue how she managed to get everything all jumbled!, but when I came up with only one coat and two hats (all Dahlia's and just barely too small), I was baffled. Found another jacket of D's and a hoodie (keeping) stuck in the other side. Remembered that I got matching camo babylegs with pink bows to go with the warm camo jacket. Up to five things, every one of them in good condition and in season now so they need to get out of here asap! I also organized the extra nonperishables we keep there, (ETA: which led me to my mom's camera in the pocket of a longer jacket I don't wear that much, the loss of which led to hours of yelling and buckets of resentment that finding it won't even make up for... >sigh< one good reason not to have coats that sit in your closet unused ) and then attacked the two heaping sinkfulls of dishes that were waiting.... I am glad I didn't get such a decluttering rush tonight because I need to SLEEP!
61/185

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
I'm at 23/150.

We're in temporary housing, and only brought about half of our belongings with us, so I didn't think we had enough for me to declutter 150 things. I'm giving it my best, though!
I can relate to some extent. I'm sure you can follow the spirit of the challenge and put objects to the test, even if you don't end up getting rid of five a day.. although they can add up really easily, so you might be surprised at how much can go!

It is so true about the change in energy! Whether your space is small or large, it is more peaceful when it is organized and minimal.
#147 of 548 Old 12-29-2009, 05:56 AM

Today I didn't give myself much time, but easily found 20 things in my kitchen that I could toss or give away. I started a box for give-away, and filled two garbage bags of stuff to throw away. I always have this notion to save certain things, because surely I will find a way to reuse them in some crafty way, and then never do it. I had a grocery bag full of dp's 2-liter soda lids and dp's empty pill bottles. Plus about 10 empty coffee containers. It HURTS to throw them away, it just seems like such a waste. but... it's not doing me any good to keep it. Sigh.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#148 of 548 Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 AM

While making my coffee this morning, I found to get rid of:

-a favor bag full of lollipops no one in my house will eat
-bag of snack nuts no one liked
-baggie of rancid nuts that got lost in the fridge
-container of peanut brittle my DH never ate
-broken timer
-broken meat thermometer
-a water bottle no one ever uses
-3prs of duct tape molds of my kids' feet (used them for felted slippers, don't need them anymore, besides, their feet have since grown and I can make more)
-a candle holder I received 7yrs ago that I've never really cared for
-2 glass dinner bells I received as a favor at a wedding 6yrs ago, I don't like them, why have I carried them through 3 moves???

This morning I've decluttered:

-9 misc facial products/ lotions/ HBAs
-box for my diva cup (I store it in its bag, empty box has been in the bathroom for about a yr)
-open can of formula from when DS2 weaned off the bottle (about 6mo ago)
-25 old coffee cans/ plastic containers and their lids

70/150

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#149 of 548 Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker View Post
I had a grocery bag full of dp's 2-liter soda lids and dp's empty pill bottles. Plus about 10 empty coffee containers. It HURTS to throw them away, it just seems like such a waste. but... it's not doing me any good to keep it. Sigh.
I know the feeling. I'm going to go through my hall closet later today where I have some coffee containers and things that I'm "saving for a craft use" or whatever, but have yet to use. It's doing me any good sitting in there taking up precious storage space and every time I go in that closet I feel overwhelmed by the clutter. Time for it to go. The closet needs a change of energy

#150 of 548 Old 12-29-2009, 10:33 AM

Can I guess at the amount of things?

- My mil brought over a big garbage bag full of clothes that we looke through and took out what we needed and now the bag is off to the second and store.

- Ornaments, boots, mp3 player, glass pans, broken pampered chef pizza stone, a recycle bin full of paper!, a singing fish, some xmas decorations, expired medication

80/150?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page