Do you downsize your kid(s) toys - Mothering Forums

#1 of 26 Old 12-20-2009, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
before Christmas? Well thats what I did yesterday. Well at least the toys we have here at the house. I still need to go through all the toys out at MILs. Some toys will be sold or donated and some just thrown away because they were just little parts of stuff.

I also went through all the chest of drawers to reorganize and pull out what needs to be donated.

The clothes in the closet are next...

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 12-20-2009, 10:36 AM

That is a great feeling! I am looking forward to it in the next few days... if I can just find a babysitter. Gotta make sure the kids aren't around for that!!! :-)
#3 of 26 Old 12-20-2009, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

I had to send the kids downstairs to watch Happy Feet. I just couldn't get anything done with them in room. They kept pulling stuff out to play with. So I told them "Out!"

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#4 of 26 Old 12-20-2009, 10:54 AM

I just did this on Tuesday last week! My son got so many of those little people sets and never played with them...he wanted nothing to d0 with them. So I got rid of those. And then some other random toys as well. This is when people asked what to get him I said he doesnt need any toys. (We got him a nice wooden train set that I know he will love)

It is a great feeling like the PP said. I love know that there are not a bunch of useless items in my home. (oh and yeah I did his dresser and closet too)
#5 of 26 Old 12-20-2009, 10:57 AM

I do this periodically, but I'm actually waiting until after Christmas to do it, so that I know what she got. If she didn't get many new toys (which, I actually told family that she didn't need any, we asked for mainly books instead), I'll keep more out, but if she got a ton of new stuff, then I'll put away a lot of the stuff she doesn't play with. The same with the clothes in her closet--we have some stuff that is bordering on too small, but I'm waiting to see what the grandparents give her.

student momma to two great girls

#6 of 26 Old 12-20-2009, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

I lost track of how many times I sent my husband out to the trash dumpster yesterday.

#7 of 26 Old 12-20-2009, 11:24 AM

I do but I'm not sure how I'll do it this year. I have the toys so organized ds will notice if anything is missing. They used to just be all dumped together so he didn't really notice when things when 'missing' but now each type of toy is in its own labelled bucket so he would definitely notice. I'm thinking of waiting until he gets his new stuff then purging while the excitement of the new things distracts him.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#8 of 26 Old 12-20-2009, 11:44 AM

My last thing is going out the door today. Goodbye wooden kitchen, I loved you but my children did not.

I am going to have to do more toy decluttering throughout the year, it's really liberating!

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#9 of 26 Old 12-20-2009, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

We did this back in June or July prior to moving. But with the move everything go fouled up. I know there are a bunch of toys that are ready to go. My youngest is 19 months and we aren't having any more kids.

What do you do with books? I don't have a bookshelf so I pulled them out and put them in a Luv's box for now.

#10 of 26 Old 12-20-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
What do you do with books? I don't have a bookshelf so I pulled them out and put them in a Luv's box for now.
You can cover the box with pretty contact paper and keep the books there... We have bookshelves. Once we start overflowing I weed and take the extras to the library donation box. Ikea has cheap bookshelves as does Office Max/Staples, if you want to go that route.

I've seen people take rain gutters and use them as book displays on the wall. I worry about children getting cut on them though, sheet metal isn't exactly soft.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#11 of 26 Old 12-20-2009, 07:25 PM

I already did that last week. It felt so good. My Canadian friend finally explained to me what the heck "Boxing Day" is. She said the day after Christmas you look at what gifts you received and if you got something new to replace something old you box it away and give it to the needy. What a great concept, eh?

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#12 of 26 Old 12-20-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarbebe View Post
I already did that last week. It felt so good. My Canadian friend finally explained to me what the heck "Boxing Day" is. She said the day after Christmas you look at what gifts you received and if you got something new to replace something old you box it away and give it to the needy. What a great concept, eh?
I'm Canadian and have never heard of that ever. The story I got for what Boxing Day is was that's the day you flatten the boxes your stuff came in and go tobogganing!
That version is nice though I think!

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#13 of 26 Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 PM

We still need to declutter the toys. Have been putting it off!

Boxing Day isn't so much that you box up gifts you got; rather, it's about bringing boxes of food, clothing etc to the poor. It's an English tradition.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#14 of 26 Old 12-20-2009, 08:52 PM

I usually declutter toys for donation before Christmas. However, b/c of a young baby, I didn't get to it this yr and also b/c I am going to try to keep some toys for him as his brothers outgrow them. I did give away some things though that I know the don't play with anymore and that my youngest probably won't either.
#15 of 26 Old 12-21-2009, 04:25 AM

I've done a little of this, but definitely need to go back & do some more. I donated some of the better toys to my little guys preschool, some to st. vinnies, and anything with broken/missing bits got binned. I'm trying to convince myself to get rid of the little people (just the ppl and acessories, not the castle & boat which are played with) but when I get almost ready to do it, one of the boys has a good ole time playing with them

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#16 of 26 Old 12-21-2009, 06:22 AM

This is on my to-do list for tomorrow (today? I'm pulling an all-nighter getting this dang laundry under control!). I had it done and clean, but didn't take the bags out right away and the kids busted into them and have the room trashed again. We're trying to get it set up to move their daybed/trundle bed in there and turn it into a bedroom/toyroom for them. Which means the amount of toys needs to be simplified. The train table is staying, as is their table and chair set. Any actual toys will have to be contained within the 12 bin organizer that is in there. All other toys, especially those that are noisy and plastic-y crap, is going. I've become very intolerant of the clutter with the kids' stuff.

Deni. I'm the liberal, Jesus-loving, hippie freak your mama warned you about. Expecting a cinco surprise, spring 2014!
#17 of 26 Old 12-21-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_ani View Post
I do but I'm not sure how I'll do it this year. I have the toys so organized ds will notice if anything is missing. They used to just be all dumped together so he didn't really notice when things when 'missing' but now each type of toy is in its own labelled bucket so he would definitely notice. I'm thinking of waiting until he gets his new stuff then purging while the excitement of the new things distracts him.
good idea to wait until after - he can also give some input. once he sees his new things, i'll will be easier for him to decide what he wants to part with in order to make room for the new toys (and share with others!).
#18 of 26 Old 12-21-2009, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
good idea to wait until after - he can also give some input. once he sees his new things, i'll will be easier for him to decide what he wants to part with in order to make room for the new toys (and share with others!).
I prefer to do it before. By waiting till after just makes more stuff to go through.

#19 of 26 Old 12-22-2009, 11:54 AM

I should really focus on doing this either tonight or tomorrow night. Or maybe my mom can help on Christmas Day. We'll see. I don't want to get rid of a lot of stuff as I want to save as much stuff as possible for DS#2. DS#1 has a HUGE closet in his room - big enough to store the three tier compartments that are holding his toys right now and some other items as well.

We'll just have to see what he gets for Christmas and go from there. Maybe some stuff can go in the basement that he no longer plays with? Ahhhhh...the basement. A whole OTHER thread!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#20 of 26 Old 12-22-2009, 12:31 PM

I do this several times a year. I box up the stuff I want to keep for any other children we have, I rotate the stuffed animals (the girls have ALOT but they love them and play with them so its not easy to get rid of any of them) and seperate the stuff to get rid of. Then I organize whats staying in the room. Generally my almost 3 year old has no problem with me weeding through her toys, if she doesn't like something she doesn't mind me getting rid of it. If its something she likes but I want to get rid of (hole, broken, has too many of one type of thing) then I will wait until shes in bed for the night and get rid of those items.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#21 of 26 Old 12-22-2009, 01:16 PM

I did when they were little. Now they are 15, 12, and 8 and the things they get at bdays/xmas are all smaller in size- electronics, clothes, movies, etc... so i don't go worry so much about making room anymore. Plus they are older and more in charge of their own space. But when they were little, yeah, i would go through and make piles of put away for now, trash of broken stuff, and give to goodwill stuff.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#22 of 26 Old 12-22-2009, 06:50 PM

I do a major clean out in Novemeber of December. Our porch was totally crammed with stuff for pick-up. The kids are impossible to help me in this - I have to sneak. They never complain about things being gone later though (if they even notice). I do small batches during the year, but come November I am brutal. We got rid of so many things that the littlest has now outgrown. I also go through the winter clothes, summer clothes, my stuff, etc.
#23 of 26 Old 12-22-2009, 07:16 PM

My kids were with my parents this weekend and I spent about 10-12 hours just organizing the 2 toys chests, the game closet, and each of their bedrooms. It felt wonderful!

I literally dumped all the chests on the floor and then sorted stuff out. I took out 4 bags of garbage and everything else got put into the right place. it is amazing to me how much junk can accumulate in a toy chest.

Next on my list is the basement and the craft area in the kitchen, but I don't think I will get to that until they are at their dad's house this weekend.
#24 of 26 Old 12-22-2009, 07:21 PM

You guys are inspiring me to tackle 8yoDD's room w/her! She doesn't have a lot of toys per se, but she does acquire tons o' junk. Even SHE thinks it's junk, she just gets overwhelmed sorting through it so we do it together.

Thanks for the gentle nudge!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#25 of 26 Old 12-22-2009, 08:40 PM

Absolutely I did. I made the awful mistake of telling everyone DS wanted shape sorters for his birthday, so we had at least 5 sorters with 5-10 peices each. It was a terrible mess! I know MIL will give DS 8-10 toys, so my plan is to spread out when we open the boxes so he can use them. This may be the last Christmas I can do that though.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#26 of 26 Old 12-22-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
You guys are inspiring me to tackle 8yoDD's room w/her! She doesn't have a lot of toys per se, but she does acquire tons o' junk. Even SHE thinks it's junk, she just gets overwhelmed sorting through it so we do it together.

Thanks for the gentle nudge!
Get going!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page