Food storage - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-23-2009, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My pantry is a mess and has some things stored in pastic bags. I can't even see what I have so I need a better system. What do you do for food storage. We only have one smallish pantry.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#2 of 4 Old 12-23-2009, 01:48 AM

The pantry is the only area of my house that is clean and organized! It took forever to get it that way though.
I put all dry bulk goods into glass containers. Usually jars from canning or store bought pasta sauce, etc. So rice, beans, lentils, etc. goes into those. They are easy to see and easy to move around. That was the best rhin I did to get it organized.
I also have a hanging canvas shoe holder that I use for loose things like granola bars, bags of popcorn, and for pasta and bags of beans.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#3 of 4 Old 12-23-2009, 05:56 AM

It helps to have a "theme" according to which you're organizing. You could have categories for breakfast - lunch - dinner, or canned goods (tomato sauce etc.) - dry goods (legumes, rice, pasta) - snack items (granola bars, ...) - baking supplies, depending on what works for you.
There are some good hints here: www.flylady.net and www.organizedhome.org.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#4 of 4 Old 12-23-2009, 10:24 AM

I have been collecting gallon sized glass pickle jars for a few years now. My MIL works at a retirment home and they go through quite a lot of pickles! They are really great for storing things because they are big and you can see what's in them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page