Anyone else SO ready... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 12-23-2009, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
to take down the holiday decor? I have in the past been known to take it down....christmas dayThis year I am pacing myself until Sat
#2 of 35 Old 12-23-2009, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#3 of 35 Old 12-23-2009, 05:28 PM

I take everything down and have it put away before I go to bed Christmas night, including the tree.
#4 of 35 Old 12-23-2009, 05:38 PM

Seriously, yes. We put up the tree earlier than usual this year - Thanksgiving weekend -I am so over it already. It will be out of here likely by Sunday. I think my tolerance level must be about three weeks.
#5 of 35 Old 12-23-2009, 05:47 PM

not really b/c all we have up are trees, stockings, a wreath on the front door, and a christmas-y towel in the kitchen. Oh, and a strand of lights along the back door.

I am ready, though, to get Christmas over so I can organize and put away all the excess stuff my kids are getting as gifts. They are upstairs cleaning their bedrooms at the moment, b/c I don't want to start out with the house being a mess.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#6 of 35 Old 12-23-2009, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

my oldest two have their rooms nice and tidy. My youngest who is nine is...well...a little piggy in his room. LOL. My oldest is in charge of dishwasher unloading everyday, and hates it. I am going to strike up a deal with him. If he will help youngest child clean his room I will do his dw duties for 5 days. With the company and all he's getting a rockin good deal.
#7 of 35 Old 12-23-2009, 07:06 PM

Normally I dread taking it down because I love it so much. But this year, with a little one in the house, I feel like everything is SO cluttered and I'm sick of looking at the stuff already, lol! I put it all out the first week of November because I was due on 11/13 and didn't want to try and decorate with a newborn so I did it while I was still pg. And now it's been up for nearly two months already and I just want it GONE until next year, lol!

SAHM to my sweet girl born in fall 2009

#8 of 35 Old 12-23-2009, 07:09 PM

No. But I don't have a Christmas village. Just try to breathe.
#9 of 35 Old 12-23-2009, 07:18 PM

uh - in our case it didn't go up until last weekend and most of it never got up.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#10 of 35 Old 12-23-2009, 09:59 PM

I already took some down

I decided, enough of the cheesy crap and "decluttered" to leave only the Christmas stuff I adored.

That amounted to:

1. 2' tree, with 20 or so ornaments
2. A tea towel with angels on it from my Great Aunt
3. A stuffed red cardinal
4. 2 faux berry garlands
5. 6 LED tealight candles
6. 3 stockings
and I think that's it!

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#11 of 35 Old 12-24-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3boz View Post
to take down the holiday decor? I have in the past been known to take it down....christmas dayThis year I am pacing myself until Sat

*lol*

This post cracks me up every year.

We put up the tree on sunday and chances are good it will come down on sunday.

I have put out very little stuff this year. I got rid of alot in the past year. And there is very little left.
I still have some stuff in the storage room that I'll get rid of. That'll happen when the other stuff goes back in storage.

I have realized that I don't like red candles. So why the heck did I buy them again?!
#12 of 35 Old 12-24-2009, 09:20 AM

I went to this very proper Episcopal high school where the Christmas decorations were not put up until mid-December (and that was even fudging it, in traditional churches the decorations for Advent stay up until just before Christmas, and the Christmas decorations only go up a few days before Christmas). And it was all taken down exactly on Epiphany (January 6), not one day sooner and not one day later, because that is the last of the Twelve Days of Christmas on the church calendar. And even though I am a Unitarian Universalist and we don't follow the Anglo-Catholic calendar, somewhere in my heart of hearts, I have a fear of being struck by lightning or something if I take down Christmas decorations on any day other than January 6.

No disrespect to those of you who actually follow that custom for religious reasons. I do understand that it's a religious custom, not an etiquette custom.
#13 of 35 Old 12-24-2009, 09:27 AM

I am just about giddy with excitement that by tomorrow night the tree will be GONE!

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#14 of 35 Old 12-24-2009, 07:09 PM

We put the tree up on Thanksgiving. It will be coming down day after Christmas. I've had enough of it. I don't put out other xmas decorations (just tree and stockings) and by xmas I've looked at the enough. We throw a big party on New Years Day, so everythign has to be put up so we have room in our house for the people.
#15 of 35 Old 12-24-2009, 09:02 PM

We made our paper tree on Monday and between papier mache-ing it and painting it we only hung it up yesterday!

It will come down on the 12th night and be recycled.

We put the lights up in the porch more than a week ago though because we all love them more than a tree!
#16 of 35 Old 12-24-2009, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
YES!!! I have been waiting all week for X-Mas, not for the usual reasons but because later that day, I am going to take down some of the decorations. So DH has a huge train table with a whole village scene, the tracks, etc... that he puts up, it is driving me INSANE. I hate cutter and this table in my house is literally ruining my life. The table has to go tomorrow.

And then this year my mom passed on to me half her very special decorations, some were my grandmothers, others ones my mom made years and years ago. My mantel is full, all my tables in the living room, the piano that is usually bare, everything has X-Mas crap on it. I just want my house back to it's bare normal. If the train table and the crap on the tables go tomorrow then I think I can live with the tree for one more week but New Year's Eve or Day it is coming down.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#17 of 35 Old 12-24-2009, 11:08 PM

Geez, I just put a few items up yesterday, so no, not ready yet to take it down already. Will do so after the 1st of the year.
#18 of 35 Old 12-25-2009, 12:16 AM

i didnt even put any decorations up this year! it's been great, and i'm going to keep with it until the kids decide we HAVE to have decorations. hoping i get a good 5 years of no christmas crap around!
#19 of 35 Old 12-25-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
We made our paper tree on Monday and between papier mache-ing it and painting it we only hung it up yesterday!

It will come down on the 12th night and be recycled.

We put the lights up in the porch more than a week ago though because we all love them more than a tree!
12th Night! That's the other word for Epiphany that I couldn't think of!
#20 of 35 Old 12-25-2009, 07:33 PM

I'm actually looking at my tree right now wondering if I'll have the energy after the kids go to bed to take it down. The ILs called today and asked if they could come tomorrow. DH said "sure." So, I have to get everything cleaned up on top of wanting to get rid of some Christmas decorations.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#21 of 35 Old 12-25-2009, 07:53 PM

Just about all my holiday stuff is put away. Only thing left is to pull the lights off the tree and pop it off the stand. Will do that after the kids go to bed, they wanted it up all of Christmas day...

Looking forward to things back to normal!
#22 of 35 Old 12-26-2009, 09:26 AM

Mine is all gone!

I love the clean and airy feel the house has now. And I don't even decorate much at all.
#23 of 35 Old 12-26-2009, 11:36 AM

Mine will stay up until the end of January. I put it up Thanksgiving weekend.

I love it all. The trees are so pretty - but I also don't have to move any furniture for them so nothing is rearranged or too cluttered.

I never get around to it until the end of January but this year all of our holiday entertaining got moved to January for one reason or another so this year I have an excuse to leave it all up.
#24 of 35 Old 12-26-2009, 12:15 PM

Ours only stay up for a couple of weeks.

I love the decorations, but love the extra space there is when the tree has gone!
#25 of 35 Old 12-26-2009, 04:55 PM

I'm definitely ready to take down the tree and Christmas village. They went up earlier than usual this year (at dh's request) and I'm tired of looking at them. I will keep out the simple wreaths (they are more winter wreaths than Christmas) and my bowls of scented pinecones (again, winter more than Christmas themed). I'll put away my Santa that's sitting on my front porch seasonal table but the rest of the stuff can stay out there for a couple more months. I usually have Christmas packed away by New Year's. I'd pack it away now but I think dh would have a breakdown. He loves Christmas decorations.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#26 of 35 Old 12-26-2009, 05:08 PM

Mine will be coming down Monday. I admit---from October to January, I am not a Holiday person. We do have a small tree with the trimmings, lights outside and few Christmas items to decorate. I do this for our son with a healthy dose of going to see Christmas lights and decorations and make special movie nights with cocoa and cookies or donuts. Easy crafts are fun too.. I am not a grinch...I just feel so much pressure this time of year and I feel like the real reason for the season is being forgotten more and more each year. I enjoy watching my son open presents and the delight that Santa did indeed show up and the wonderment of him trying to figure out HOW those reindeer fly. And, of course, reading the Christmas stories. BUT...as soon as it's over..I am MUCH happier and anxious to move into the New Year. This week, I will be deep cleaning and organizing to prepare. It helps me center myself for the coming year. Ok..I ranted there..but thank you..I feel better.
#27 of 35 Old 12-26-2009, 07:26 PM

catscharm74, I completely understand and feel the same way. Although, I actually am a holiday person. But by the time the holidays are over, I am SO ready to go through everything, pare down and get it all "just right" again.

Um, I feel like I should confess that my tree and lights are still up. The kids are apparently not ready for it to come down, I'm hoping for tomorrow. Look at me being all flexible and considerate of my family's wishes as well, when all I want to do it rip the lights off and chuck the tree out the door!
#28 of 35 Old 12-26-2009, 07:52 PM

I love how clean it all looks when it goes away. We are still celebrating but come Monday (after all seven of us have dentist appointments) I'll start on it in fits. It will only take a few stolen moments to get it done.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#29 of 35 Old 12-27-2009, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

We took ours down first thing this am. The tree that is. The village my mom and I took down and packed away yesterday along with everything but the tree.

LOVE how open and airy things feel. And clean. LOL
#30 of 35 Old 12-27-2009, 08:47 AM

Oddly enough, no I'm not ready to take it down! Surprising as I have had a bit of trouble FEELING the whole holiday spirit this year (I had a very very traumatic holiday season last year so it's haunting me) BUT... I've really enjoyed my tree, christmas cottages and few other decorations I think it also helps that my kids have been really good and even the 3yo has not destroyed the tree

I'll probably take them down on 12th night.. although I would love to just have a year round tree and decorate it for the season at hand (I told you, I love my tree!)

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page