Best Ikea shelves/bookcases for playroom w/ pics please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-26-2009, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So Im in the process of decluttering/organinzing the playroom. I went to the website and am sooo confused
We have 1 son(3) and one DD(5) so we have alot of "gender specific" toys that need their own spaces.
I was wondering if you own any ikea pieces which ones do you like/dislike and why? also pictures are always welcome.
Id also like to use a few bins/baskets for some sets of toys which ikea ones would you buy? Id like to keep some space on the shelves for larger toys as well.... Oh and the room is a good size so we can fit a good size unit Budget wise Id love to keep it under 450

thank you for your input

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#2 of 11 Old 12-26-2009, 02:56 PM

If you look for "ikea shelves" or something to do with toy storage and Ikea on Flickr, there's a LOT of photos!! I love going to Flickr for inspiration for my kids room.
#3 of 11 Old 12-26-2009, 03:40 PM

love love love Trofast, sorry I dont have a current pic of our set up. But we have several of the Trofast shelves with the opaque white bins in assort. sizes. The bins do come in other colors (pink green blue I believe) but we stuck with white so that later we could use it in other areas and it be more neutral. The great thing about the trofast is that you customize it to how you want the bins. for instance in one shelving unit (we have the vertical ones) we have 2 extra large bins which we use for muscial instruments yet in another shelving unit we have several of the thinner ones for all our "people" legos,playmobil and assorted animals. They are very durable and washable.
#4 of 11 Old 12-26-2009, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I love love love our expedits. We don't actuallu have one in the kids' room, but i think they're wonderful and work well in all sorts of rooms.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#5 of 11 Old 12-26-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
I love love love our expedits. We don't actuallu have one in the kids' room, but i think they're wonderful and work well in all sorts of rooms.
We have this shelf in our playroom (the 16 cubby one) and it works great. We put the square fabric bins in the bottom to hold the little toys and the upper shelves hold books, baskets of blocks and puzzles, stacking toys, etc. I don't have any pics handy but you get the idea.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#6 of 11 Old 12-27-2009, 01:30 AM

We also have the 16 cubby Expedit and love it! We started with a couple fabric bins from Target but they didn't hold up well and so we got plastic bins with tops (DS is really into legos so these work well to keep tiny pieces) We looked at other systems and really wanted solid wood but when it came down to looks I couldn't handle looking at the unfinished wood options.

We create our own reality.
#7 of 11 Old 12-27-2009, 02:02 AM

We have the Ikea Trofast system and are very happy with it
The different sizes of bins are nice - they make it easy to customize the unit. It's also decent-looking (no play room here, so we have ours in the living room, and it looks fine).

This is the unit we have:
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S29857351
(we don't have that exact same combination of bins, or those colours, but that is the basic unit we have)
#8 of 11 Old 12-27-2009, 03:33 AM

I don't know the names but we have simple pine stuff from IKEA - some of the shallow little shelves (3 on one wall), the 3-drawer simple dresser, and a discontinued IKEA toybox with a drawer at the bottom, shelf in the middle and chest on the top (this is my favorite piece and I WISH I had bought two when we got it - it's GREAT). Our arrangement is no where near $450, but it is a smaller play area. That much stuff is generally plenty for the kids to have at once, and we rotate the other things.

The shelves have little things (sometimes it's the Little people, right now it is other things). Dresser has (by drawer): 1-dress-up clothes 2-instruments 3-play food/dishes. Toybox has: (chest) - arts and crafts supplies or choke-ables, (shelf) - 2 ikea wicker baskets with Duplo block, and 3- (drawer) cars and planes and trains.

Oh, and we have the ikea roadmap rug on the floor too.

Tjej
#9 of 11 Old 12-27-2009, 05:46 PM

We have Ivar, three wide and varying heights, in each child's room. Yesterday, I almost bought 5x5 Expedit for each room but my husband pointed out, rightly so, that there is not nearly the flexibility, even if I do like how it looks, better. We already had some Ivar in their rooms so I've gotten a few more shelves, baskets, containers, and book ends and spent two hours in each room today sifting through things and organizing what felt like chaos.

These are some pictures of our Ivar from several years ago when we had a playroom and my children shared a room. They've now split and the toys have increased. I like the Ivar, also, because I used one shelf to create a play kitchen for next to nothing and Ikea has (or at least used to) a desk that you can insert into a bay of shelves. The unfinished wood is not my first choice but it can certainly be painted. The Itso large fabric boxes from Target fit very nicely on the Ivar, though certainly not as perfectly as they do on the Expedit.

Good luck and happy organizing!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#10 of 11 Old 12-27-2009, 06:41 PM

Here's the Expedit in my son's room.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34192437@N06/3295978280/

I used Target's ITSO bins with sticker labels - words and pictures - so it would, theoretically, be easy for him to clean up himself.
#11 of 11 Old 12-28-2009, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

wow thanks for the great ideas

Im actually going to choose something online and let dh GO BUY IT since Im o bedrest

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page