Old 02-03-2010, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
adding more stuff:
1 toilet brush
a full box of recycling (count as 1)

792/2010~

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 AM

Just started today but have 5 mugs and two espresso mini cups with saucers ready to either trash or donate...can you donate used coffee mugs?

Going to come home from dropping DS off at preschool to hopefully declutter a bunch of rags and books...wish my motivation luck!

5/2010

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
Old 02-03-2010, 04:50 AM

You can donate your mugs to the Salvation Army or any women's shelter.

I tossed a bunch of old magazines today.... why do we keep these things? It's not like we read them again!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 02-03-2010, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cleaned out my sons' closet and stuck a couple bags in the van to be donated next time I go out. Maybe 100 items?

But mostly I just felt I had to post my 2010th post in this thread for good luck
Old 02-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Some more bitsn'bobs...

1 pile papers - recycling
1 polystyrene ball - bin
7 pieces of craft stuff - posted to new owner
12 out of date baking things - bin
1 bag of bottles - bottle bank

991+22=1013/2010 Hurrah, I've passed the half-way mark, woohoo

lady.gifLittlepixie Nov'06 & jog.gif our little monkey Jan'11

Old 02-03-2010, 01:23 PM

I'm in! We are moving in a little over 3 weeks. Think I can get to 2010 by then? I've already given 2 winter jackets and 15 pants and shirts to someone moving north. I have a lawn trash bag of clothes, toys and books ready to donate to local charity. I'll be conservative and say there are 50 items in there.

67/2010

Hmm...dh has also done some decluttering in the garage. I'll have to ask him to count next time he goes out there.

Having a specific goal is really going to help. I really want our new home to be clutter free.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
-14 diapers beyond their use- textile recycling
-3 old t-shirts- used to clean up a juice/ glass spill, then trashed
-1 old t-shirt- textile recycling
-1 small handful of random trash found at the bottom of dipe basket

753/ 2010

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:01 PM

I'm in and super motivated-for now at least. So excited to have a specific goal, though unfortunately I think it will not be that difficult to eliminate 2010 items. I think I'm just going to count stuff that we own, not our recycling. We've been recycling a lot in the past couple years and it includes all paper, cardboard, plastics, and glass, so that's gotta be more than 2000 things a year. I'm starting with my closet...

"I'm so crafty, I make people" DD (01/06) and her much anticipated sibling (07/10) with my sweet DH (07/02)
Old 02-03-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
Wow rere that's great!
Thanks!I don't know why it's so hard to let my daughter's clothes go.

1 pile of papers
2 strands of lights
5 toys
2 curtain rods
3 gifts finally returned
1 coat
5 towels
1 sheet

17 more...

Old 02-03-2010, 04:57 PM

I did my usual 'finances and paperwork' task yesterday, which includes paper recycling each week, but I haven't been counting that kind of thing. I only count purposeful decluttering. The kind that removes more than the usual amount of "stuff" from our home.

Anyway, I went to a new class last night (Sewing for the Home) and I discovered an excellent place to donate any of my sewing/quilting supplies I no longer need. I worked on the family office in January (not as much as I would like, but that was my focus for the month). February's goal is the project room and backyard. I have my sewing/quilting/painting supplies in the project room, so the timing is perfect!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 02-03-2010, 06:31 PM

How do you decide where to donate your stuff? I posted on a local forum asking for suggestions b/c I want all my stuff to go to someone that really needs it instead of half of it going into a dumpster. (I'm not boxing up the torn, stained stuff, only what's usable) What about specific stuff? I have some yarn and fabric I need to go through soon and I'm hoping to find something where it would get repurposed into useful items.

"I'm so crafty, I make people" DD (01/06) and her much anticipated sibling (07/10) with my sweet DH (07/02)
Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 PM

I take free classes around the city and I know people in those classes need supplies, so I donate to the various locations. Last year, I brought stuff in with me to class and asked other students if anyone wanted the specific items I had. Most of those were half-finished and I knew a general charity would pitch them. These ladies make a lot of charity quilts and items, so it was nice to see my half-finished items become finished and be used by someone in need. The building where my Tuesday night class is being held is brand new and I had never been there. I was delighted to see they have a specific place just for students to share items with other students. Before, I had access only to the one class I was enrolled in or had to leave items at the front desk or outside classroom doors and hope the right people found them and distributed them appropriately. This is way better!

Meanwhile, I ended up with one pattern to give away and a lady from freecycle picked it up today. Yes, I cannot believe I am posting about one single item.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 02-04-2010, 12:15 AM

Jumping in from over on the January declutter challenge. I'm at 465 items decluttered for last month, so I think 2010 is in reach. I can't believe how fun getting rid of stuff is!

466-480: clothing items to thrift shop
Old 02-04-2010, 02:06 AM

So, I was with a friend this evening who has been to my house many, many times over the last 8 years. Somehow we got on the topic of challenges and I mentioned this challenge. She looked at me oddly and asked how on earth I was going to get rid of 2010 items from my house. I told her I was winging it and seeing how far I could go with the idea. Later on, DH asked me if I told her I was counting every single staple. He's joking, but he doesn't see it happening, either. Our home is usually guest-ready and fairly tidy as long as we are not in the midst of home improvement projects or a round of illness that everyone has gotten. I love having tidy, organized closets and drawers, as well as the more visible surfaces. We do play and craft and do things and spend lots of time at home. It is not a museum by anyone's standards. We just have daily and weekly routines that keep it in good shape most of the time.

For those of you with reasonably neat and orderly homes, have you ever given away this many items in this period of time?

2010 items in one year
167 items per month
39 items per week
6 items per day

I have a friend who gave away one item per day for an entire year. She says it made a huge difference in her house. I've been to her house many times *before* she did that challenge and, while her house was nice, it was far too cluttered for my tastes and I could easily see removing a thousand items. I have not been to her house *since* the challenge, so I cannot compare.

Just curious about the practicalness of this challenge for me..... Please share your thoughts and encourage me to keep it up....

Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

For those of you with reasonably neat and orderly homes, have you ever given away this many items in this period of time?
Erm... I may have to leave that to some other folk to answer Let's just say I had no trouble passing 1000 Our house is cluttered (mostly an issue upstairs in the spare rooms - they are such junk rooms right now), but hopefully soon it will be a lot less so as I keep at it! Also we travelled for a couple of years and just boxed up *everything* before we left, then returned home to have DD, so there is a lot of old boxes that I can chuck stuff out from from those days.

In a way I am decluttering three households - our old pre-travelling selves, our travelling selves (we shipped stuff back home when we returned!) and our current selves. Our current selves are doing quite well, which is great!

So for today-
1 more pile of old papers - recycling
1 pile of torn plastic bags - bin
1 pile of old out-of-date warranties & receipts - recycling

and I went through my fabric box, and attacked my substantial pile of felt scraps...

1 bag of bigger scraps - off to a friend
1 bag of teeny scraps - bin (normally I would keep these to use as stuffing but I have too many, and there will be more again soon!)

So 1013+5=1018/2010

Now, it's my birthday tomorrow, so I am officially taking the weekend off! See you all on Monday, Happy decluttering

lady.gifLittlepixie Nov'06 & jog.gif our little monkey Jan'11

Old 02-04-2010, 02:08 PM

Happy Birthday Pixiemammy!

I fell off the bandwagon a little this week, but I'll be back on tomorrow!

âAdvertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy stuff we don't need.â
Old 02-04-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
So, I was with a friend this evening who has been to my house many, many times over the last 8 years. Somehow we got on the topic of challenges and I mentioned this challenge. She looked at me oddly and asked how on earth I was going to get rid of 2010 items from my house. I told her I was winging it and seeing how far I could go with the idea. Later on, DH asked me if I told her I was counting every single staple. He's joking, but he doesn't see it happening, either. Our home is usually guest-ready and fairly tidy as long as we are not in the midst of home improvement projects or a round of illness that everyone has gotten. I love having tidy, organized closets and drawers, as well as the more visible surfaces. We do play and craft and do things and spend lots of time at home. It is not a museum by anyone's standards. We just have daily and weekly routines that keep it in good shape most of the time.

2010 items in one year
167 items per month
39 items per week
6 items per day

I have a friend who gave away one item per day for an entire year. She says it made a huge difference in her house. I've been to her house many times *before* she did that challenge and, while her house was nice, it was far too cluttered for my tastes and I could easily see removing a thousand items. I have not been to her house *since* the challenge, so I cannot compare.

Just curious about the practicalness of this challenge for me..... Please share your thoughts and encourage me to keep it up....
Well, I see decluttering as a process of shifting energy in my life. Some years I'm open and ready to shift more than others...last year I'm certain I got rid of way more than 2000 items, and even though most people would look around my house and say I'm a hard-core minimalist, I feel like I still have a lot of things in my domain that don't really serve me. You could have a lot of stuff and none of it be clutter. You could have very few things and all of it clutter.

Also keep in mind that clutter doesn't have to be physical stuff. You can get rid of other kinds of clutter as well. For instance: activities, commitments, or hobbies that no longer bring you joy...subscriptions (digital or paper) that no longer truly resonate with you...credit cards you don't use...unfinished projects (finish them or let go of the expectation that you will)...relationships...ideas, thought patterns and on and on.

If you could get rid of one weekly commitment that no longer works for you, that's fifty two "items" by the end of the year. Last year I kept looking at my work gear and wanting to get rid of it. Finally, I did. The physical stuff was just the tip of the ice berg, representing the fact that I no longer resonated with that line of work. Now I have hours a week back, and that is pure bliss. The real clutter that I had to face was the thought that we didn't have enough money--we do. Letting go of physical stuff helped me to access and question that thought, but you could declutter thoughts without stuff attached to them as well.

I'd say that if you're drawn to doing this work, just go ahead and do it. Counting items is just a fun gimmick to keep us motivated. So be relaxed about your final count and just enjoy the process--enjoy seeing yourself and your life more clearly. It is fun.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 PM

Okay, I'm trying to work on this! Slowly, but surely. This week, I've gone through the medicine cabinet, and the pantry (which hadn't been done since we moved in two years ago).

61. Expired coffee packets
62. Expired tea packets
63. Expired cappuccino packets
64. old blender to Goodwill
65-82. Expired meds, empty pill bottles
83-89. Expired boxes of Jell-O
90-91. Expired cereal boxes

Shannon ~ SAHM/W to Noah (12), Reagan (2) and DH Joe (12 years)
2010 in 2010 Decluttering Challenge, Item Count 91/2010
Old 02-04-2010, 09:14 PM

Just took my first bin to the thrift store for the year!

27 items donated
30 cds taken to Best Buy for recycling

Total

57/2010

Mama to Kage (12/07) and Ember (6/09)
Old 02-05-2010, 02:17 AM

Thanks so much treespeak! I love what you wrote, especially the last paragraph.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:29 PM

Checking in to say I added 15 to my total, went through all of the non-absorbant kitchen towels (why do they even make a kitchen towel that won't absorb but just pushes liquid around?) and am passing them along to be repurposed.

20/2010

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
Old 02-05-2010, 10:02 PM

Ooooh, I'm SO with you about those kitchen towels!! I haven't had the guts to toss mine yet, but they are on my list.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:53 PM

worked on decluttering our junk/sewing/toy room - the kids had piled so much stuff in there that you could barely open the door. It is a small room. I put everything I want to sell on our local mom's list in a large box and wrote up the listings. Will post them later tonight. Total for these = 18 items (and some are sets with multiple parts, but counting as one.)

to trash - my iron (full of some weird corrosion), an old shower curtain that was repurposed and now needs to go, boxes, papers = 9 items

to donate/give to friends - kids books and other kids items = 7

total for today 34 items, bringing me to 222/2010
Old 02-06-2010, 12:15 AM

I'm plugging along:

481: piece of wall trim
482 & 483: broken cups
484: dish drainer
485, 486: packet of tide and dryer sheets found behind dryer
487: shirt
488: broken shovel
489: paint brush
490: replaced broken dryer knob with a new one. Tossed old one. Yay! (In the past, that would have taken me a year, not a week to accomplish.)
Old 02-06-2010, 12:53 AM

49 patterns
1 broken magnet

838/2010

I have more that I got rid of but I need to count it all before I add it here.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Old 02-06-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
last year I'm certain I got rid of way more than 2000 items, and even though most people would look around my house and say I'm a hard-core minimalist, I feel like I still have a lot of things in my domain that don't really serve me. You could have a lot of stuff and none of it be clutter. You could have very few things and all of it clutter.
Love this. Quite true.

At one stage of our lives, we were called minimalists. We had very little of everything and what we did have was functional. We also had only one child back then and she was a toddler (It seems the older they get the more you accumulate). I enjoyed living this way but my husband did not. He has a hoarding "save it for a rainy day" mentality and he was constantly on my back about getting rid of things. So I've learnt to compromise. We can own two of the same item, provided that it is probable those two items will be used at the same time (therefore having two of the same is still functional and not clutter).

Example: We have about 20 tea towels. Sounds like clutter, doesn't it? But they are used so quickly in this household.. That they have no time to be clutter.

Some stages in your life call for more goods and some stages call for less. I think for our family, we are at an intermediate stage where only in certain categories, do we allow ourselves to have more than what is deemed necessary.

âAdvertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy stuff we don't need.â
Old 02-06-2010, 06:29 PM

Dropped off about 5 bags to donate = 40 items (when I haven't counted stuff first, I just know I shouldn't go through them again, yk?)

Have a pile in the garage as well at the moment (we're getting a big motivation on this cause we're looking into selling our house & moving, so. . lots more to come I'm sure)

164/2010
Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 AM

Have a bunch of books but don't want to count them until they actually leave my house...

I have a question that I asked in F&F but haven't gotten an answer yet...where is the best place to sell used books? I have all sorts and would love to make just a little bit of $ in order to pay for taxes! Any info is appreciated!

Old 02-07-2010, 01:34 AM

Do a search, CeciMami. I don't recall the answer, but this was discussed recently. Best wishes!

Old 02-07-2010, 03:09 AM

29 items out today! Another local mom was looking for canning jars and by golly I have LOTS of those! They came with the house, hundreds of them probably, and I have spent the last few years emptying a few dozen every year to do my own canning. I still have a LOT left, more than I ever care to fill (at least in the next few years) but 27 went today, and two boxes as well

User Tag List