2010 in 2010 - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1298 Old 02-11-2010, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
272/2010 after doing half of the master closet, need my dh to look at his stuff now. Also went through the kitchen junk drawer. Today I'm going to go through the paper clutter. That will be a big job as we have 4 stacks, several small bins and one filing box.
#422 of 1298 Old 02-11-2010, 12:45 PM

Oh boy, I've been in a slump too which is why I am not posting updates in numbers.
We moved things around and put them in corners to make the house a lot more clear and neater for the inspection but I have not taken pictures as it's not the end goal. There is still more work to be done and I have to take a couple boxes that were meant to go out from under a box that is staying (this was all done in the name of neatness).

I may start again this weekend. It's hard getting back into it. I feel like I have no more energy.

What's your inspiration? And can you send me some? I find I am less motivated to declutter when the house is neat. And right now, it is very neat.. But still cluttered.

âAdvertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy stuff we don't need.â
#423 of 1298 Old 02-11-2010, 01:08 PM

Went through a couple of boxes that were in the garage-

50 things in the bin
1 sweater given to friend
20 things in the donate/sell box

332/2010
#424 of 1298 Old 02-11-2010, 04:02 PM

Just sold a spare stroller on Craig's List for $60! Woot!

So Far:
27 items donated
30 cds taken to Best Buy for recycling
1 stroller sold.

Total: 58/2010

Mama to Kage (12/07) and Ember (6/09)
#425 of 1298 Old 02-11-2010, 04:22 PM

joining late but joining nonetheless

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#426 of 1298 Old 02-11-2010, 05:34 PM

-
#427 of 1298 Old 02-11-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmarie42 View Post
I have a question- how are all of you counting what is "1 item"? Like if you get rid of socks you aren't wearing... do you count each sock you get rid of?
I tend to chop & change how I'm counting, it depends on how much work the items took and how hard they were to get rid of Paper I usually count by the "bundle", which can be large or small depending on my mood. With your example socks.. I did throw out a pile, so counted them and divided by 2 and called them pairs, even though they were all random mismatched ones. Craft things - I tend to count them as they are as they are so hard for me to declutter so I deserve the points, but if the things are very teeny I will just say "one bag" rather than 200 buttons

So from today:

1 mixing bowl - bin (It got broken when DD dropped the garlic crushed on it, oops, we'll have no crockery left at this stage!)
2 random polystyrene balls - bin
1 bag of 200+ mixed plastic buttons - in post to new owner
1 envelope - to post the buttons in

1031+5=1036/2010

lady.gifLittlepixie Nov'06 & jog.gif our little monkey Jan'11

#428 of 1298 Old 02-12-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmarie42 View Post
I have a question- how are all of you counting what is "1 item"? Like if you get rid of socks you aren't wearing... do you count each sock you get rid of?
I count each item, for the most part, as they are commonly known. I'd count a pair of socks as one, in your example. If I had a random sock without a match, I'd probably match it with something equally small before counting.

Honestly, though, I don't care how anyone counts. It is all relative. If anyone needs the motivation, count each and every single item. Whatever works!

When it comes to papers, we have LARGE recycling baskets. When I go through the filing cabinet or a pile of paper, I count a full basket as two. That is probably 100+ sheets of paper. Some folks are counting every 10 sheets as one and my method is 50+ as one. I don't really need the motivation to get rid of paper. I love to thin the paper clutter.

Like the PP, though, I count every single item when it comes to crafts. Those are much harder for me to give up! FTR, I wouldn't count each button, but a package of them (generally 4-8), I sure would.

FOR TODAY:
I did finances today and went through one T-H-I-C-K folder in the filing cabinet. I shredded an entire container of paper from a current account of stuff we don't need and I recycled an overflowing waste basket of closed account paperwork. I also found and dismantled two checkbooks from closed accounts. Fun stuff! I'm counting it as 6.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#429 of 1298 Old 02-12-2010, 03:36 AM

1 brad nailer returned to store (found old one)
1 air sprayer returned to store (decided we didn't need it)
1 padded case for shotgun returned to store and traded for one that didn't have a hole in it so now it's useful, I count that as one!
2 - a whole whack more paper

Five more to my total = 161!

ETA: And I decluttered the dog today too! I finally found a brush that I can tolerate and came home and brushed a HUGE amount of undercoat out of him and a whole lot of mats. I feel bad that he was so matted but I couldn't find a brush that I could get through his fur! (he's a bouvier). So and extra one for that!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#430 of 1298 Old 02-12-2010, 03:41 AM

20 books
56 CD's
3 bags full of paper recycling (counting as 3)
2 CD organizer cases
1 CD player jogging belt
2 ink cartridges
1 PDA hard case
1 checkbook calculator cover
2 pencil sharpeners

I tend to count as the mood strikes! For example, today I counted a full bag of paper recycling as 1, on other days a stack of paper might count as one...just depends on the project size I'm working on I guess!

355/2010

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#431 of 1298 Old 02-12-2010, 12:39 PM

372/2010

I have gone through each room just decluttering things that have been left out on top of dressers, on the floor, etc. Now I'm going to go back and clean out cabinets and drawers in each dresser and closet. I know this will take longer and I'm trying to get myself motivated to jump in and start somewhere. Upstairs to oldest dd's room I think Need to get some more moving boxes too.
#432 of 1298 Old 02-12-2010, 02:25 PM

I started on our office today, it is our worst room:the dumping room. I took 'before' pictures, i'll post them later. Got rid of 22 things: recycling, old diapers, picture frames. I bet there are 2010 things to get rid of just in the office

We create our own reality.
#433 of 1298 Old 02-12-2010, 04:41 PM

1 antique Woody the Woodpecker children's book (destroyed by kids)- trash

I figured out that if you started at the beginning of the year, you'd need to declutter 6 things per day (5.5 to be technical) to get 2010 and starting now, you need to get rid of 6.2 per day. Only 5 more to go for today!

1 box valentine's which dh bought 2 of yesterday so that ds2 could play with one (read: shred and scatter around the house) while ds1 made his out to classmates yesterday- I realize this is more of a maintenance than clutter thing, but I am SO counting it
3- miscellaneous children's card games, some of which have been destroyed since Christmas- removed from trash by 2 year old - thrown back out again
1- various school papers
1 bag of baby wipes which burn my babies' bums but I couldn't bring myself to waste- trash
1- junk mail
SEALED box for donation:
2 plastic noisy rolling balls with flashing lights
1 cloth dump truck
1 cloth and plastic fire engine bag
1 set plastic bowling pins
1 other toy I've already forgotten

Today's running total: 14

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#434 of 1298 Old 02-12-2010, 06:32 PM

Today I worked on a few random things that I wanted to get rid of but that would not necessarily sell in a charity shop, you know like crafty bits & bobs, that type of stuff. So I took a few minutes to list my items on a local mums' forum and yay... they were snapped up It's always good when you know your decluttered goodies are going to good homes where they'll be used (especially crafty items).

2 bags of small felt squares - off to new owners
50 little wooden people - off to new owners (who are very excited to start painting them, I have so many, they needed to be tidied up a bit, I am counting these as 50 individual items, not as 1 pile, because they are hard to part with ).
1 book - off to new owner
2 stampers & 1 inkpad - off to new owner
2 fabric pieces - off to new owner
2 padded envelopes - holding the above items

and more of the usual sort of decluttering
1 pile of papers - recycling
3 brochures - recycling
1 broken badge - bin
3 more wasted markers - bin
5 old cards - recycling
1 broken light - the light itself into electrical recycling box, batteries into battery recycling box
5 old unreusable bags - bin
1 old ribbon - bin

So, not too shabby today...

1036+80=1116/2010

#435 of 1298 Old 02-12-2010, 09:53 PM

DD and I went through about half of her clothes today. A stack went into the charity pile and one t-shirt is being repurposed as a rag. I'll count the charity items when they leave our house, but I want to at least mention we are consistently decluttering small spaces....

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#436 of 1298 Old 02-13-2010, 12:26 AM

Another 20 items gone: shredded paperwork, junk CDs to the trash, and more items out of a junk drawer that I have already cleaned out.

#437 of 1298 Old 02-13-2010, 03:54 AM

I am so envious of everyone's progress. I've been stuck in a rut since the house is relatively tidy and clean (except for the laundry room) and I don't feel like de-cluttering anymore. But I know if I don't, it will build up fairly quickly again as I did not complete the job to start with. Somehow knowing that hasn't been enough motivation. My heart is just not into it and I don't know how to regain the original inspiration.

So I think I may back out for now But I'll still be hanging around, cheering everyone on.

âAdvertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy stuff we don't need.â
#438 of 1298 Old 02-13-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameliaISback View Post
I am so envious of everyone's progress. I've been stuck in a rut since the house is relatively tidy and clean (except for the laundry room) and I don't feel like de-cluttering anymore. But I know if I don't, it will build up fairly quickly again as I did not complete the job to start with. Somehow knowing that hasn't been enough motivation. My heart is just not into it and I don't know how to regain the original inspiration.

So I think I may back out for now But I'll still be hanging around, cheering everyone on.
Hey, that's cool. I've found it helpful in the decluttering process to back off when things are feeling good. In my case, a new layer of clutter will become apparent to me in time, and once it does, I feel renewed motivation to work on it. ...So basically, "don't push the river."
#439 of 1298 Old 02-13-2010, 01:20 PM

Thanks treespeak.

I am trying to so hard to regain the inspiration. When things are really disasterous I find that I am more able to get into the swing of things but when they are just a little unpleasant, I'm more willing to bear it. I started a little more tonight, just tidied up the children's toys and found a few items to put aside. Then went through the book cabinet and did a little more 'tidying up'.

But I feel I won't get into the full swing of things until I find a new layer as you said. I should up my total though.. Early last week I did a great job and managed to rid of at least 130-150 items through either donation, recycling or garbage. So I'm almost nearing 1000/2010.

I haven't counted those items I put aside tonight. I'll go do that now actually.

#440 of 1298 Old 02-13-2010, 01:34 PM

43 items!

#441 of 1298 Old 02-13-2010, 01:54 PM

I finally got DH to go through a box of stuff that has been sitting around forever. He did manage to throw away a few things. If it had been up to me , almost everything would have been tossed but I can't push DH too hard. He's very resistant to getting rid of things, so I will be greateful for any little bit that goes - maybe 10 things from that box today.

I went through the kids' clothes AGAIN and took out of 3 pairs of socks (trashed), a pair of pants and 3 shirts, and a bib to donate.

Threw away one old lipstick.
Drank the packet of energy drink that I bought months ago.
Cleaned out an old purse
In a little while I am taking a box of old batteries to the old battery box at the store.

22 items out today which brings me up to 354/2010.

I'm trying to get up the courage to go through a box of baby clothes and let them go, but I'm just not there yet...
#442 of 1298 Old 02-13-2010, 05:39 PM

3 gift bags to donate to the school
10 misc kitchen things (old cookie sheets, mismatched glassware, old meatpounder, etc)
2 mailings done for DH preschool
15 unsubscribed junk email subscriptions (I've decided that decluttering my life this year will involve cutting down on so much time just cleaning out my email box every day...it's just more wasted time so I'll count every time I unsubscribe from this or that newsletter so that I'm motivated to keep doing it!)

385/2010

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#443 of 1298 Old 02-13-2010, 06:22 PM

Dh cleaned up the back yard and also threw away 3 broken toys, a broken babygate and some other junk

I got rid of a salad spinner top that had been lurking in the kitchen cupboard- I think the bowl was thrown out a while ago.

12 more items = 366/2010
#444 of 1298 Old 02-13-2010, 07:54 PM

mamameliaISback, looking forward to your return when you find that new layer!

Cecimami, I am so with you on the email unsubbing, I have decided this year that every time a junk mail that I have subbed to arrives in my inbox, I have to unsub from it before I delete it! It's making a huge difference, although now I have some mornings where I wake to no new emails Well except for this thread update as you are all in different timezones to me!

Today's haul:

3 baby gift things - charity
1 bracelet - charity
1 spinny laser disc - charity
2 random plastic things - recycling
1 broken mini-blender - waste electrical box
3 DVDs - off to new owners
1 DVD - charity
2 clothes - charity
1 book - off to new owner

1116+15=1131/2010

#445 of 1298 Old 02-13-2010, 09:06 PM

Finished with dd's room 436/2010. Going to go through closet and dresser drawers of spare bedroom now.
#446 of 1298 Old 02-13-2010, 10:46 PM

DD & I made cards today. In the process of doing so, we discovered a glue stick that dried out. I actually pulled it apart in order to see if the inside was still sticky. Trashed it.

We used two tp roll cores in order to make gift card holders, which was fun and "thrifty". When I was sending off cards to a friend, I included a handful of stickers and a handful of die cuts that she will enjoy. The die cuts were easy to let go, but the stickers were harder. I shoved them in last and sealed it up and walked it out to the mailbox pronto!

I had picked up some craft magazines (free) at CHA back in January. I flipped through them yesterday and recycled them today. I only pulled out two "How to" articles. My DD has a friend over tonight and we may do one of these.

I counted all of the above as 3 for today.

#447 of 1298 Old 02-14-2010, 12:23 AM

Need to get back into this....

4 toys
2 books

235 + 6 = 241 items gone

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#448 of 1298 Old 02-14-2010, 12:45 AM

I went through old jewelry today and made a pile to freecycle, threw away mismatched or broken stuff-going to count that as 5 things. I also shredded another folder of old papers.

#449 of 1298 Old 02-14-2010, 10:42 AM

Thanks pixiemammy!

I have actually found a new technique that seems to be working (so far).. I told myself that I'd tidy up certain areas and as I tidy them up, I also de-clutter. What I've usually done in the past is take out all the stuff that I no longer want from each area (tidy or not), put it aside in a bag or box and leave the space as is. After all is said and done and I'm exhausted from going through everything in a crazy fashion, I'll tidy up. I've noticed after the original inspiration is gone, I lose momentum, burn out and only end up doing half the job. But this time I am doing it in one go and rather than decluttering, I tell myself I am organizing/tidying the spot up. I managed to get rid of 51 items tonight!!!

Sometimes its good to change your method.

Okay, so our book cabinet is fully de-cluttered and the bottom of our TV cabinet is too. Toys in the lounge room are also de-cluttered.

My new total: 1092/2010

#450 of 1298 Old 02-14-2010, 12:07 PM

Another 10 items from the kitchen (cookie cutters, book and lego mat). I think I'm back in the game!

Total: 1102/2010.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page