2010 in 2010 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2010, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I join? Yesterday I went around the house and filled up a garage bag with stuff to go to the Goodwill. I just found out that I'm going to have another baby in Sept. so I'm going to try and get my 2010 before the baby is born.

Good job everyone!!

SAHM  to 6run.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 06:54 PM

I"m up to 150/2010 - made my quota for the January 5 a day challenge

Most of the 150 was clothes, papers and kitchen stuff - TONS more to go in papers especially
Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Last night, I opened my new ironing board pad (heatproof pad - generic size - had to cut to fit properly) and cover (cinch it to fit). I tossed out the scraps of the pad! I also tossed the old worn out, elastic has disintegrated, cover-and-pad-in-one. And, big drum roll, please.... I threw out the large envelope the items came in. I usually save all this stuff for our next shipping issue, which seems to never happen anymore. This envelope happened to be kind of gross on the outside, so I didn't offer to any neighbors. While I was doing this stuff in the project room, I came across a small project I never plan to do, so that hit the road, too. = 4

This morning, I planted broccoli and romaine and recycled the six-packs they came in immediately (instead of saving them for some day, like the scraps of heat pad I was tempted to save). I also tried to caulk a few things outside between rainstorms, but my caulk was all dried out. I tossed it versus waiting for later. (I borrowed some caulk from a neighbor who sent me into her backyard to get it - I am very familiar with her yard, etc - and I found one of hers to be empty, so I tossed it for her. Not counting it in my totals, but thought it was amusing enough to share. ) = 3

51/2010 = 2.5% of goal; 18/365 = 4.9% of time passed to achieve goal
[I'd like to see my % of goal be equal or exceed my % of time passed.]
Yesterday afternoon, I had to dump out the cleaning caddy under our powder room sink in order to use it (caddy) as a bucket for rain coming inside the kitchen slider. I think we fixed the problem finally, but I decided to leave the caddy there for awhile. I only keep cleaning brushes and sponges and that sort of stuff in it. I had dumped them on the counter and decided to toss them back under the sink today. I took the time to actually LOOK at what I had been storing in that caddy. I had two Mr Clean magic erasers that were disintegrating since I got them way back when the product was brand new to the market and I have never once used them. I tried them both on a spot on the powder room wall and they each fell apart and did nothing beneficial. I never use sponges anymore and one was falling apart and the other just looked icky. Cut the "stuff" in half and now the brushes look better NOT inside a caddy. I'd like to group them somehow, but I'm in the Compact so I need to find something around the house. New task, different day.

So, now I am at 55/2010.

55/2010 = 2.7% of goal; 18/365 = 4.9% of time passed to achieve goal

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 01-19-2010, 11:39 PM

14 items of clothing culled while doing the laundry.

472/2010

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Old 01-20-2010, 12:05 AM

Inspiring. I'm in. DH will kill me if he finds out
But really, he'll never notice the stuff going out because it's stuff we never use! Off to do the bathroom cupboards! Wheeeee!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 01-20-2010, 04:18 AM

Gee, I'm getting bad at this! Another day gone by and only 2 items given away. So 479/2010. I am focusing more on cleaning right now but are feeling discouraged with the sheer amount of stuff everywhere. I clean and clean but not much is showing because there is still a lot unpacked.
I feel like I am purely shifting mess around and not tidying it up. Anyone else out with a serious lack in storage, trying to get everything under control?

I think I might go through some shoes and kiddie clothes! Yup, that's what I'll do. My goal is to get rid of another 20 items. I'm going to do it.

âAdvertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy stuff we don't need.â
Old 01-20-2010, 05:08 AM

Did 21 items! Woohoo! 500/2010.

Off to IKEA for some storage!

âAdvertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy stuff we don't need.â
Old 01-20-2010, 10:41 AM

It's a beautiful day out today, the sun is shining and my washing line is full of drying clothes, I managed to get some more thingies decluttered too

1 scarf - charity
1 broken pen - bin
1 child's raincoat - returned to owner
12 child's clothing items - charity
2 old wrecked tops - bin
1 product manual - recycling

704+18=722/2010

lady.gifLittlepixie Nov'06 & jog.gif our little monkey Jan'11

Old 01-20-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%mom View Post
Can I join? Yesterday I went around the house and filled up a garage bag with stuff to go to the Goodwill. I just found out that I'm going to have another baby in Sept. so I'm going to try and get my 2010 before the baby is born.

Good job everyone!!
The more the merrier!Start counting.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:07 PM

Dh took 4-5 full bags to a donation center yesterday! (I admit these have been sitting around since November but I'm counting them anyway since they're now actually gone)

Didn't go through them first, but easily 60 items (lots of clothes, misc household stuff, toys).

124/2010
Old 01-20-2010, 01:18 PM

I am officially "done" with the nursery & I was able to part with more junk to be recycled, donated or trashed!!
Upped my total by 42 things out of my home

If we have a girl, then I'll be doing great since all the boy clothes can be donated or sold...we'll see!

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameliaISback View Post
Anyone else out with a serious lack in storage, trying to get everything under control?
This is me...we don't have a garage nor an attic that can store stuff. Literally what is in the house has to stay in the house since we don't have other places to put it.

Frustrating & liberating at the same time. Keep going mama!! You can do it

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Inspiring. I'm in. DH will kill me if he finds out
But really, he'll never notice the stuff going out because it's stuff we never use! Off to do the bathroom cupboards! Wheeeee!
This is totally my DH too! He's such a packrat! He hates it when I get rid of anything, even my own things!

Quote:
Anyone else out with a serious lack in storage, trying to get everything under control?
Yes! We had been using our spare bedroom as a giant closet, but that has got to stop, since it's needed as a real bedroom in the near future.

Today:

1 giant pile of cardboard boxes- recycle
9 items children's clothing- Goodwill (why save clothing for future kids that was never worn the first time around?)

Up to 213!

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
Old 01-20-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I feel like I am purely shifting mess around and not tidying it up. Anyone else out with a serious lack in storage, trying to get everything under control?
Me too!! We're renting at the moment so we don't want to commit to buying wonderful elaborate storage solutions until we have our own house, but oh how I am looking forward to installing personalised storage everywhere once we do get a place!!!

But at the moment, we have plenty of kitchen and bedroom storage, so that's not too bad, but there's nothing in the front hall, so it always looks messy and there is no outdoor shed/garage which causes a lot of clutter to hang around looking at me in the utility room, like bikes etc!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:20 PM

7 magazines
5 old toothbrushes
1 t shirt

301+13=314

It makes me feel good even to throw away small clutter, the more I do it, the more I like it!

We create our own reality.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Yesterday afternoon, I had to dump out the cleaning caddy under our powder room sink in order to use it (caddy) as a bucket for rain coming inside the kitchen slider. I think we fixed the problem finally, but I decided to leave the caddy there for awhile. I only keep cleaning brushes and sponges and that sort of stuff in it. I had dumped them on the counter and decided to toss them back under the sink today. I took the time to actually LOOK at what I had been storing in that caddy. I had two Mr Clean magic erasers that were disintegrating since I got them way back when the product was brand new to the market and I have never once used them. I tried them both on a spot on the powder room wall and they each fell apart and did nothing beneficial. I never use sponges anymore and one was falling apart and the other just looked icky. Cut the "stuff" in half and now the brushes look better NOT inside a caddy. I'd like to group them somehow, but I'm in the Compact so I need to find something around the house. New task, different day.

So, now I am at 55/2010.

55/2010 = 2.7% of goal; 18/365 = 4.9% of time passed to achieve goal
I am actively scrapbooking every day this week and flying through certain materials! I am NOT keeping the tiny scraps even for a day. (Great for the 2010 Compact!)

I found a bottle of glitter glue that refused to re-mix, so I tossed it out. It is my only silver one, but I am in the Compact so I must do without since I need more craft supplies like I need a hole in my head....NOT! = 1

On a related note, our weather has been unusually chilly and wet this week. I am purposely wearing something different out of my clothing every day to see which items are truly my favorites and which are still in good shape, etc. So far, though, everything fits and is in good shape and I am LOVING these clothes!!! I don't get the opportunity to wear these types of clothing very often and I've already weeded out the least flattering, etc. DD, on the other hand, has been outgrowing clothes nearly every day this week! MAJOR GROWTH SPURT!!! She adds her outgrown clothing to the charity bag and we haven't accumulated enough to warrant a drop-off, yet, so I'm not counting it until it is OUT of our house.

56/2010 = 2.7% of goal; 19/365 = 5.2% of time passed to achieve goal

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 01-21-2010, 02:54 AM

Thanks guys! Nice to know I am not alone. We went to IKEA last night and purchased a wardrobe for the children's clothes. We assemble it tonight.

Okay, I notice I seem to do better when I have a set number of items to reach for the day. So today I plan to have 50 items leave our home, not including anything being recycled.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:27 AM

Did much better than expected!!! 151 items! Found a couple of old boxes filled with baby clothes that were packed and never used and half of them no longer fit. I did take out three pairs of baby shoes to keep and a pair of baby pants.

Also took out 5 HUGE boxes full of recycling and other small boxes and a very small bag of rubbish.

Total now is: 651/2010.

Now off to return 4 items back to the department store and get a credit note!

(On another positive note - DH has really gotten into the de-cluttering with me big time - He is the one who cleaned up the car and freezer without being asking and he is also de-cluttering his office at work. It's contagious!)

Old 01-21-2010, 06:25 AM

Hurrah, the recycling bin was emptied early this morning so I can now fill it to the brim again with all the recyclables that I have set aside, woohoo

A few more bits n'bobs yesterday evening...

1 random plastic lid - recycling
2 kitchen junk things- bin
1 old baby teether - bin
5 old out-of-date antiseptic wipes - bin
1 marker - bin
1 pile of DD's drawings - recycling (I know this seems mean, but she draws so much every day, we'd be smothered by paper if we kept it all. So we keep the special ones on the fridge and in a folder and recycle the rest, she doesn't mind )

722+11=733/2010

Old 01-21-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
i didn't do any serious decluttering, but i returned 5 unwanted christmas gifts yesterday. up to 337 now!
25 books, 52 articles of baby clothing and a duffle bag: 415
Old 01-21-2010, 03:18 PM

Cleaned up my crap in the hallway that was sitting there for 4 months...I would just drop my teaching stuff there until I found "time" to get to it.
It is sorted and put away!! I had one 30 gallon trash bag full, one box of items to put in the recycling cart & some to bring to charity. I didn't count specifically, but will underestimate at 70 items. I count paper 10 for 1. I had tons of paper to recycle. It took over 5 hours (and 2 short breaks) to get it all done & put away.

632/2010 = 1378 to go!!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
25 books, 52 articles of baby clothing and a duffle bag: 415
Hi double dutch

I'm not sure I can count the 2010 items for the year. I'm sure I can do it but I'm not up for the counting of it all, KWIM? Today dropped off three bags of misc. towels and sheets (from college, 15 years ago!) at Goodwill. Bye bye.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 01-21-2010, 05:05 PM

I know I'm jumping in late, but I'm definitely in! This is just the kind of challenge I need!

Happily married to my hero and SAHMama to 4 precious gifts from God
Old 01-21-2010, 05:13 PM

Well, my number is small but I have to start somewhere.

38/2010

That was some books, movies and clothes to be donated at the goodwill.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

Old 01-21-2010, 05:42 PM

Had to share a laugh...

Today I "decluttered" the rest of the Christmas mini reese's peanut butter cups.

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

Old 01-21-2010, 06:17 PM

sleepypeanutsmom, I'm decluttering the ginger bread house.

I just went through and tossed a bunch of papers. I'm also doing 10 papers = 1 thing. So my total is now 57/2010. My house might be empty by the time I'm done decluttering.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

Old 01-21-2010, 06:23 PM

Gray's Mom, WOW, over 600 things?? That is AMAZING! Congatulations!

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

Old 01-21-2010, 07:29 PM

3 books
1 toy
1 set of party decorations
1 CD
2 pjs

480/2010

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Old 01-21-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepypeanutsmom View Post
Had to share a laugh...

Today I "decluttered" the rest of the Christmas mini reese's peanut butter cups.
That is something I would love to help out with!! My type of decluttering

I'm going through my stash of crap under my desk now. I have half a 30 gallon trash bag full. Yeah, I'm nesting BIG time. Planning a homebirth makes you want to clean your house

Old 01-21-2010, 09:34 PM

....feeling a sudden inexplicable urge to go and find some chocolate to declutter

Did a bit more today, but we were out and about for most of the day, I really have to clean the house properly tomorrow, we have guests staying the weekend!

1 bag of UK coins - dropped into charity shop for Haiti appeal (we have been adding leftover coins from holidays to that bag for years and we never remember to actually bring the coins with us when we go to England - it's good to see them finally getting a good use!)
3 child's clothing items - charity
1 pile of random packaging materials - recycling
1 very old very decrepit shoe - bin (I suspect its partner was binned many moons ago )
1 glass - smashed by a plate in the sink and then wrapped and binned (this is at least the 3rd item I have decluttered by accidentally smashing.. oops!)
2 reusable plastic bags - charity shop
1 old VHS video - bin
1 pile of fabric scraps - bin (I hold onto so many of these and rarely use them - time to thin the pile!)

733+11=744/2010

User Tag List