Mothering Forum banner

2010 in 2010

51K views 1K replies 111 participants last post by  PoetryLover 
#1 ·
Anyone up for this challenge this year?

I think there was a 2009 in 2009 thread last year and I haven't seen at 2010 yet so I thought I would throw it out there. I am Compacting this year so there shouldn't be much coming into the house. Now I just need to get a bunch of stuff out

See less See more
#6 ·
I would totally love to do this, but we have so little at this point that methinks 2010 things would consist of all of my possessions (not many!), plus all of dd's and everything in the kitchen... plus the linens.
Plus, I tend to just get stuff out randomly, get it done and never count- that would take way too much time and effort for me. But I wish I could do this just because I love to get rid of crap so much, heh. Maybe one year I'll be at a point to do it again... I sure hope not, because that would mean tons of money spent on nonsense.
Have a great time!

#7 ·
We have been in our house almost 10 years. It is not a big house, but when we moved in from a two bedroom apartment with no children it actually echoed it was so empty. Now, after 3 children and years of accumulating stuff we really need a purge. My main problem is storing all the hand me downs we get from other people (in sizes larger than my oldest currently wears), plus the clothes to pass down from girl to girl. It is a big savings having three girls, plus having friends with girls who can pass stuff on to us, but the storage is a nightmare. Thanks goodness for Rubbermaid bins

#9 ·
oooh, I just did that! but its still the year 2009. Does it count if it is all sitting in my car waiting for the thrift store to open after the holidays?
I didnt count my items, but I definately got 2010 stuff to donate or in the garbage/recycle. I wanted to start off fresh, 'cause then maybe the house will magically stay clean ALLLLL year

I can bring it all back in to count it if I have to

#10 ·
Oh yeah, I'm in! It is hard to believe I could do it because I feel like I did so much purging in 2009. But, just today I went through some boxes and came up with 2 bags! And I have a plan for the garage in January. YIKES, Jan is tomorrow!! Watch out garage, here I come.

I think keeping track will make it more fun! Thanks for putting the idea out.

#11 ·
Me me me! 2010 things seems like soooooo much but I think I could easily do it! There is just so much stuff here and I want to get rid of so much! I have done a TON already and now it is getting down to the harder choices it seems. But I know it is there. I know there is stuff BEGGING to leave
So I am IN!

Lisa

#12 ·
Do we count things that come into our home and then go right back out within a short amount of time?? If so then I can totally get 2010 things. I'm thinking of those two grandmas that live 30 minutes away and visit often giving the kids stuff. So much of the stuff I just gather up and march right back out in the next Goodwill bag. It is usually junky stuff that the kids don't need anyway, will break soon, or frankly I just don't want to be cleaning up all the time!

#13 ·
This would be an interesting challenge for me. I'm game.
I have a ton of stuff that hasn't been counted for the New Year's Challenge.

#14 ·
Subbing.
I like to follow along for motivation to keep my house decluttered, but I am at the point that I don't really need to do a purge. Plus, counting/listing things distracts me. So I will probably only list when I fill a box and drop it off.

Now, if only my two oldest let me in their bedrooms, I would happily try to get to 2010 items!

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danidama View Post
I would totally love to do this, but we have so little at this point that methinks 2010 things would consist of all of my possessions (not many!), plus all of dd's and everything in the kitchen... plus the linens.
Plus, I tend to just get stuff out randomly, get it done and never count- that would take way too much time and effort for me. But I wish I could do this just because I love to get rid of crap so much, heh. Maybe one year I'll be at a point to do it again... I sure hope not, because that would mean tons of money spent on nonsense.
Have a great time!

Boy, this is me!

#18 ·
ooooh I'm in, we moved into this house 1.5 years ago and there are still a few never-unpacked boxes, who knows what's in them? Obviously nothing useful, methinks they're a good place to start!

Looking forward to this, I am feeling very motivated

Good luck to us all!!!

#19 ·
Ok
1. wooden chair (going to thrift)
2. garbage bag of clothes (thrift)
3. garbage bag of clotehs (thrift)
4. grocery bag of clothes (friend)
5. grocery bag of toys (thrift)
6. Grocery bag of toys (thrift)
7. garbage bag of dress-up clothes and toys that the cats urinated and defecated on (garbage)

8. box of books (thrift)
9. bag of house wares (thrift)
10. dd's old furniture (sold)
11. dd's old carpet (garbage)
12. board game (2 of them; thrift)

Im off to a good start!

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post
oooh, I just did that! but its still the year 2009. Does it count if it is all sitting in my car waiting for the thrift store to open after the holidays?
I didnt count my items, but I definately got 2010 stuff to donate or in the garbage/recycle. I wanted to start off fresh, 'cause then maybe the house will magically stay clean ALLLLL year

I can bring it all back in to count it if I have to

Of course it counts, but please don't bring it back in and count it
I think an estimate is fine

Quote:

Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Me!!! I am so in. It still counts if I start tonight, right?

Of course

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepypeanutsmom View Post
Do we count things that come into our home and then go right back out within a short amount of time?? If so then I can totally get 2010 things. I'm thinking of those two grandmas that live 30 minutes away and visit often giving the kids stuff. So much of the stuff I just gather up and march right back out in the next Goodwill bag. It is usually junky stuff that the kids don't need anyway, will break soon, or frankly I just don't want to be cleaning up all the time!

This happens here all the time and I am definitely going to count them

Quote:

Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post
Ok
1. wooden chair (going to thrift)
2. garbage bag of clothes (thrift)
3. garbage bag of clotehs (thrift)
4. grocery bag of clothes (friend)
5. grocery bag of toys (thrift)
6. Grocery bag of toys (thrift)
7. garbage bag of dress-up clothes and toys that the cats urinated and defecated on (garbage)

8. box of books (thrift)
9. bag of house wares (thrift)
10. dd's old furniture (sold)
11. dd's old carpet (garbage)
12. board game (2 of them; thrift)

Im off to a good start!
Wow great start

I am going to update my signature as soon as I get a moment.

#21 ·
Okay I think I'm going to give this a shot!
I'm not here on the forums much, but this will bring me back more, and I have a lot of stuff to get rid of!

Let's get it started:

1. Various styles of pull-ups (were given to me by my SIL and while I am starting to potty-teach my DD, these are way too big for her, and I'm not interested in using disposable ones, except for the 5 hours a week she's at Mom's Day Out, and hopefully DD will learn before she's big enough to fit into these huge ones)

2 - 8. Infant toys

All of this is being donated to the Mom's Day Out program. I sub there frequently and I'm the secretary on the board, and I've witnessed minor crises when a child has a dirty pull-up and "Mom" didn't put more in the diaper bag.

9. A ton of plastic sacks (going to the recycle bin at the local grocery store, as our curb-side recycling trucks don't pick up plastic sacks)

10. Paper bags (going into our recycle cart)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.