What to do with old underwear? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-02-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Going through and cleaning out closets is easy when I have a thrift store to take things to, but I don't want to donate my old panties, haha! It's gross and nobody'd want 'em anyway.

Old t-shirts and towels are easily converted to rags, but what are old panties good for? I'm talking about the raveled and stained embarrassments in my underwear drawer.

Just throw them out? Tie knots in 'em and use 'em as dog toys? LOL!

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
#2 of 19 Old 01-02-2010, 06:11 PM

Some charity/thrift shops sell unusable clothing to rag merchants for recycling. You could call and see if any in your area do this.

Otherwise they can be shredded and used for stuffing things like draft excluders.
#3 of 19 Old 01-02-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I had never considered shredding them. Guess I could do that and crochet them into a rug or something! Hmmmm....

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
#4 of 19 Old 01-02-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
Well, I had never considered shredding them. Guess I could do that and crochet them into a rug or something! Hmmmm....
My great grandmother used to make rag rugs by hooking the strips of fabric through a piece of hessian/sacking.
#5 of 19 Old 01-03-2010, 12:58 AM

I donated old bras to a homeless shelter, but the underwear I just tossed. I got lots of use out of it!

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#6 of 19 Old 01-03-2010, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I use them as a rag when no one is home and then toss them.
#7 of 19 Old 01-03-2010, 04:08 AM

Back in the olden days when I was growing up we polished shoes with them because there was no guilt in throwing them out when they were really grody.
#8 of 19 Old 01-03-2010, 10:48 PM

Just don't use brown polish and leave them out when guests come over.
#9 of 19 Old 01-03-2010, 11:54 PM

I throw them out. I don't go through a lot of underwear and it takes awhile for them to get ratty. I'm totally ok throwing them out. There does come a time when enough is enough for me.
#10 of 19 Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsie View Post
I throw them out. I don't go through a lot of underwear and it takes awhile for them to get ratty. I'm totally ok throwing them out. There does come a time when enough is enough for me.
:

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#11 of 19 Old 01-04-2010, 02:29 AM

I just cleaned out my underwear drawer and got rid of about 30 pairs! Some I've litereally had for over 10 years. About 80% were from Victoria's Secret and they're still in excellent shape. I threw out a few that I was too embarrased to donate but would you believe my thrift store sells used underwear?! I would never buy any but I figure if someone is brave enough I guess they can have my old undies...(eww)...oh well, they're out of my house and my drawer is much better now.

Oh I got rid of them because after having two kids and being pregnant with #3 I'm no longer a size medium! If to do go back to that size I will treat myself and get new ones.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#12 of 19 Old 01-04-2010, 08:42 PM

i'm one who throw them out on the most part, i did donate a couple pairs that i wore once or twice that didn't fit right, but the old worn out undies go to the trash, I could see reusing the cotton panties, but not the lacy skimping ones, well i guess the elastic could be reused now that i think about it...

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#13 of 19 Old 01-05-2010, 08:23 AM

I mostly throw underwear away (as in "trash") but I've passed on kids' underwear in good condition (and used it for my own children - it's been washed, after all!).
As most of my undies are good ol' cotton they really do look ratty when their time comes. I used to cut out "good" parts for mending (like my MIL still does it) but from my experience so far it's hardly ever worth the hassle. So, it's either the trash can or I'll cut them up and use them as "paper towels" for messy jobs.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#14 of 19 Old 01-05-2010, 11:59 AM

I've cut the larger fabric portions of old underwear to use as cloth wipes/family cloth before. But if that isn't in good shape I'll put it in the garbage.
#15 of 19 Old 01-05-2010, 09:50 PM

Old underwear just get tossed here. I've never thought of donating them, but I do know the thrift stores around here sell underwear, though.
#16 of 19 Old 01-05-2010, 10:11 PM

My best friend's mom saved them for vacation. Wear them once and throw them away on vacation so each day you are making more room in your suitcase and so you have all your "good" underwear clean when you get back home from vacation.
She always a bit odd, but I love her. And I have used this trick before. Mostly, since mine are cotton, I use them for cleaning. . .
#17 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 01:06 PM

I've cut the elastic out of the waist before and have used that as a tie up in the garden, but somethings just get tossed, and this is one of them.
#18 of 19 Old 01-06-2010, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
i toss 'em, too!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#19 of 19 Old 01-07-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarbebe View Post
I was too embarrased to donate but would you believe my thrift store sells used underwear?! I would never buy any but I figure if someone is brave enough I guess they can have my old undies...(eww)...oh well, they're out of my house and my drawer is much better now.

Is it really any different than buying used cloth diapers?

I had very good quality cloth diapers in a large rotation for DD, and when it got to the point where she's only using 1 a day for bedtime, I decided it was time to get rid of them. I sold them and made back a quarter of the money I paid for them.

Its not really that gross, when you think about it. I mean, the person who bought them washed them 5-6 times before she used them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page