Striving For A More Simple/Minimalist Life in 2010 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2010, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I join please? This year I'm really striving for and craving a simpler life. I've been decluttering and have already sent off a few boxes and bags to the Salvation Army. Seriously, why do we have 30 dinner plates when there is only 7 of us and we never entertain? LOL I've pared down my kitchen a bit but there is more to do. I've been staring at my appliance cupboard but haven't been able to part with any of it yet. One day....

My goals are:

1. Less stuff. Less stuff to move around from place to place. Less stuff to clean. I love walking into a room and seeing a clean and clear space.

2. Clear out the toxic people in our lives. They create a ton of emotional clutter. Most of them are now gone but there are a couple of dh's family members left that I am trying to get dh to let go of. They cause him a lot of stress and pain for him.

3. Declutter our financial life. Dh hasn't been working for the past two years for medical reasons and we are in a massive amount of debt right now. We are hoping that once his knee surgery/recovery and back treatments are finished this spring he will be back to work and we can get back to a somewhat normal life. I want to start paying down our debt and I never want to have it again. We don't need to keep up with the Jones' and we'd come to that realization. Never again will we buy furniture, electronics, etc. on credit. If it needs to be replaced it will be cash only or do without.

I'm also looking forward to finishing with the decorating in the house. We've been here a year and we still have a ton of painting to do. Every room in the house was painted a generic taupe colour and it's very drab and so not us. Our old house had a ton of colour and I loved it. It was so cozy and so comforting. This house just feels cold when you walk in. We've painted all the bedrooms and the main bath so far. They next task is the ensuite and then to tackle the main living area, which is a huge job that I'm not looking forward to but will feel a lot better when it's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
Thanks but the junk mail here doesn't come addressed to us. I'm in Canada and the junk mail I am talking about is flyers, a stack 3" thick is delivered to my door every week! Then we get 3-4 different phone books every year. 3 Sears catalogs. None of these things are addressed to us they give them to everyone.

I got sick of handling the piles 3-4 times before they ended up in the recycle bin. Now we just get bills!
I know someone who is a mail carrier and she told me that if you put a red dot on your mail box that tells the carrier not to leave any junk mail in your box. Apparently they don't advertise it though because Canada Post gets paid for every piece of junk delivered so the more they stick in your mail box, the more money for them. I haven't tried it myself yet.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 03:34 PM

I just painted the inside of my laundry and linen closets and they look so beautiful and clean and neat. I've spent two days carefully arranging the contents in harmonious and pleasing vignettes.

I have always wondered something though, I wonder if anyone can explain for me. I read lots of homesteading blogs, and they often describe their life as simple, when it's full of labor and/or equipment intensive options. One lady had her washing machine hooked up to a bike, for example. Or making your own pasta or tortillas. It's interesting and healthy to do this, and I understand why people do it (because I do myself) but compare taking out all the 3 or 4 ingredients, measuring utensils and mixing apparatus (even if it's just a fork for pasta), then the kneading, rolling, cutting, drying to opening a single box or bag. I know which one looks more simple to me!

So, my question: what does simplicity mean to you, and can you offer insight into why some people call mixing their own detergent more simple than using a single container from the supermarket?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post
So, my question: what does simplicity mean to you, and can you offer insight into why some people call mixing their own detergent more simple than using a single container from the supermarket?
To give an example, we cook from scratch 99% of our food. We do buy bags of pasta but do occasionally make it as well. We make all our own sauces, use fresh veggies/fruits and make dough for pizza and bread. I find my pizza dough is tastier as well as my pizza creations and healthier as well.

for example, our school had a cookie dough fundraiser. For $14 a batch, I could have ready made cookies and just put in over and viola! cookies home made (NOT!!!) Our school would get a cut. I first, would rather just write a check for $14 and they keep the entire amount than give them $2 for every batch they sold. Also, got a load of the ingredients in these "gourmet" cookies and the list was an inch thick. Many of the ingredients I cannot pronounce and the words had many constants LOL. One of the ingredients listed at the beginning I did recognize, sodium and wow there was a lot.

OTH, I make home made bake from scratch cookie dough out of local organic flour, lot less salt, organic choco chips, butter, sugar, organic fair trade vanilla, and they are mighty tasty. I can also pre make cookies and freeze them to bake another time.

To make up a batch of cookie dough, it take about 5 minutes and then oven time. The clean up is pretty fast as well. They are fresh, I know exactly what is in them because I made them and its a fraction of the cost (with the better ingredients I bought) than the cookie dough. Never mind the cost of all that garbage ingredients going into my family's belly.

For me, the planning, organizing, and cooking our meals is wonderful and chopping food is a therapy for me. Also eating healthy and seeing what goes into my family's mouth is important. That is more simple than running around and buying take out, ready made etc. For me, simple is taking what you have at home and working with it. Much more creative but better.

A lot of people think my planning takes time, but in reality it frees up so much more to do things I would rather be doing and I am not ever rushing.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 02-05-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I have always wondered something though, I wonder if anyone can explain for me. I read lots of homesteading blogs, and they often describe their life as simple, when it's full of labor and/or equipment intensive options. One lady had her washing machine hooked up to a bike, for example. Or making your own pasta or tortillas. It's interesting and healthy to do this, and I understand why people do it (because I do myself) but compare taking out all the 3 or 4 ingredients, measuring utensils and mixing apparatus (even if it's just a fork for pasta), then the kneading, rolling, cutting, drying to opening a single box or bag. I know which one looks more simple to me!

I just wrote this paragraph as my first paragraph for a guest post on someone's blog.

"Simplicity is a misnomer. There’s not much simple about living simply. Rather, it is a conscious ordering of priorities. It may be a slowing down which feels simpler or like a return to “simpler times”. But it ultimately is a recognition of the important things in your life, your priorities. And just because you have ordered your priorities and try to live your life within that order doesn’t mean that your life will all of a sudden be simple one."

We just started making our own detergent for cost reasons and wanting to use less chemicals. We also make most of our own food from scratch for most of the same reasons that the pp mentioned. It really is more about priorities, what you value. This comes out loud and clear in the book Your Money and Your Life.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfpintj View Post
It may be a slowing down which feels simpler or like a return to “simpler times”.
But, none of the examples I gave as being touted as simple allow you to slow down. They require more time, and more effort, more organisation and more stuff.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe it just comes down to "simplifying your mind". Mixing your own laundry detergent may be more effort than buying it at a store, but for that period of time your mind is engaged only in measuring and mixing (pretty simple). If you "saved" that 10 minutes (for example), you'd have 10 minutes to spend thinking about money or corrupt politics or pollution (you know, stressful stuff). Just a theory.

I actually have no idea. I just wanted to start posting on this thread, but I didn't want to ignore your question or interrupt the discussion.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

Old 02-06-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Perhaps it is the return to simpler times, you know, the days where everything DIDN'T come out of a box . We make our own everything because of my ds's allergies, it is a necessity. It isn't all that hard (especially with my Kitchen Aide-chosen because it replaces several other appliances and therefore takes up less space).

To me simple living is about slowing down and enjoying the every day routines. It isn't about doing things as quickly as possible with the least amount of effort. Having less STUFF to clean and rearrange, less places to hurry off too, less unnecessary distractions (tv, internet, time wasters like that). This leaves me more time for the things I enjoy, time to linger over coffee while talking with my dh in the morning. Time for us to prepare a family meal together (often with lots of help from the kids) from scratch using REAL ingredients. Time to walk to the bookstore on a weekend afternoon instead of rushing to some obligation that is unnecessary and unnurturing.

Simple isn't necessarily about using less utensils or ingredients. Just about life's simple pleasures.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:45 AM

I am on a quest for simplicity. It has not been a linear, perfect quest by any stretch of the imagination. More like a journey. In recent years, my house is a constant cluttered mess and I find it messes with my mind/clarity of thinking/ability to relax.

I want my home to be more comfortable than it is, and part of the reason it is not is that we have too much stuff. That said, a lot of it is paper and I have had a problem getting a grip on it. I am an information junkie I guess, and I love to have the resource I need at hand. Other paper just needs to be gone through and tossed or filed. I'm working on that.

DH is currently laid off and some of the decluttering I have been doing has brought in some money for me to get the kids clothes and shoes in the next size that they need (high water pants just don't do it for me!). I am "with" a PP who mentioned needing to reduce the supply of clothes once the kids get a bit older and are well-potty trained. I am working on that with the sizes I am buying now for the kids. I got caught off guard too with the size they are now growing out of and I had way more than I needed.

We are DIY renovating our basement and will be purchasing furniture and shelving once our finances improve. I am trying to make sure each purchase will be well-thought out before we buy. DH is not fully on board and wants a lot of stuff that I would be happy to do without (mostly related to a big TV/entertainment system - ugh - thousands of dollars I'd rather spend differently. What is the appeal for men with all that crap?)

My big goal is to pay off our mortgage within the next 10 years. That would buy us a lot of freedom, without that huge monthly expense in our budget. My DH would like to in principle, but in actuality, he does not think we can do it.

I also agree with the PP who mentions when you have no money you want to hang onto more stuff. I think that DH, who came from an extremely low income family, wants to buy a lot because it makes him feel safe. And he also wants high-end things because it makes him feel like he "escaped". I hang onto stuff to hang onto people - I have a lot of inherited stuff and it is very hard for me to part with it - which is another thing I am working on for myself. In addition, with DH's layoff, it is harder to get rid of things that might have a use someday. Once the dust settles it will be easier for me to part with certain things.

I've enjoyed reading this thread and hope to be able to combine what I read here with the decluttering I'm doing with the 2010 challenge.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
But, none of the examples I gave as being touted as simple allow you to slow down. They require more time, and more effort, more organisation and more stuff.
I pasted in the paragraph from something else I had just written. It was not a direct response to what you said, but an idea that the word simple is a misnomer.

Speaking only from our experience, living a frugal simple life has allowed us to slow down. We don't have to work full time outside the home to pay for the convenience things that are full of chemicals and preservatives, etc. Part of the way we got to this point of not needing to work is by cutting out almost all of that stuff. When you don't have to earn money to pay for things you don't need, life slows down if you let it. We focus on our family and not many other things that seem to be part of this fast paced culture.

As I said previously, I believe it really is a matter of spending the time you want on your priorities, your values. In the examples you gave, that would be using less energy by getting exercise or making your own food for health and enjoyment. Simplicity allows you the space to spend your time and your money where you choose. It brings a sense of control and freedom. So while the act may not appear simple compared to purchasing something off the shelf, it finds its place in a life that overall is living by its' priorities. After 12 years of studying and living this way, I believe this is the basis for the voluntary simplicity movement.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post

My big goal is to pay off our mortgage within the next 10 years. That would buy us a lot of freedom, without that huge monthly expense in our budget. My DH would like to in principle, but in actuality, he does not think we can do it.

I also agree with the PP who mentions when you have no money you want to hang onto more stuff. I think that DH, who came from an extremely low income family, wants to buy a lot because it makes him feel safe. And he also wants high-end things because it makes him feel like he "escaped". I hang onto stuff to hang onto people - I have a lot of inherited stuff and it is very hard for me to part with it - which is another thing I am working on for myself. In addition, with DH's layoff, it is harder to get rid of things that might have a use someday. Once the dust settles it will be easier for me to part with certain things.
Yes, paying off the mortgage does give you lots of freedom. Will he read stuff about simplicity and personal finance? I firmly believe that seeing what other people have done motivates us to believe it is possible for ourselves.

I, too, came from a low income family and promptly spent whatever money came my way. It is so freeing not to be that way anymore which came about through simplicity and frugality. Having money in the bank and no bills is the best way to get that feeling of safety. And not having to work full time for pay is the best escape; not only from a past with little money, but also from what everyone else is doing 40+ hours and week and so many hate and dread.

Good luck with his layoff and the decluttering. Decluttering is my hardest thing to deal with.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Banned

right, i would say it's about what makes life simple for you.

for example, for a lot of people EC seems like a lot of extra work--and for a lot of people it IS a lot of extra work. but for me, it makes my life simpler because i don't have to wash as many diapers. but for other people, the process of learning signals and such is a great, difficult task, and so washing diapers is simpler for them!

it's really about what you want to do and how you prioritize.

----

as an aside, we are in NZ now and looking at an unfurnished apartment. i think we are going to buy a bed and a table/chair set.

i found the bed we want on clearance. it's has 6 big drawers as the base, and so we won't need a dresser. DS and I need one drawer for clothing (i think DH needs two), and then the remaining two will be for linen storage (sheets, towels, blankets, etc).

the table that i want is a saarinen. oh do i love the tulip table! i have longed for one. i am talking with the seller now to determine if it is a real saarinen or just a knock off. hopefully, it is real. i would love a saarinen.

so, that will get us settled.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
Maybe it just comes down to "simplifying your mind". Mixing your own laundry detergent may be more effort than buying it at a store, but for that period of time your mind is engaged only in measuring and mixing (pretty simple). If you "saved" that 10 minutes (for example), you'd have 10 minutes to spend thinking about money or corrupt politics or pollution (you know, stressful stuff). Just a theory.

I actually have no idea. I just wanted to start posting on this thread, but I didn't want to ignore your question or interrupt the discussion.
Welcome! I agree and its a great idea. I feel much better when my mind is decuttered. Sometimes that means just talking something out with my DH or letting him do the same to clear things up. Sometimes it takes going to confession (part of my religion) that also clears things up. Sometimes its going for a run or exercise.

OTH, I think everyone has a different need or idea of what is simple. We are going out to a nice place for dinner. We received a gift certificate to go for xmas. Its nice because we might not be able to go otherwise since its $$. We will enjoy ourselves and we will not go out to a place like this for a while but because, it will be wonderful. While someone else might do this weekly or more and prefer a night at home cooking with their kids.

In our city is a restrnt called Frontiera Grill/Toplambamba. They are Rick Bayless's places. Right now, since he won Top Chef Master, its impossible to get into the place and will be for a while. We were watching his show the other day and I said to my DH, I would rather go into his kitchen and learn how to cook what he was making besides him and do that than go, sit down and eat there. It would be more rewarding to watch, learn and do myself. Plus learning. DH replied to me, "Its because you enjoy the ride, not pulling into the station. You always have." Thus the reason I have it in my siggy!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 02-07-2010, 03:47 AM
Banned

i love Bayless's work! I haven't gotten one of his books yet, but i would SO go there as well! He's awesome! Do enjoy when you get to go!

----

saw an apt today; too dingy for our tastes right now. a lot of nice space and a good location, but actually leaking while we were there. yeah, so not a good sign. and the nearest laundry is across town! across *town*. LOL

back to the drawing board!
Old 02-07-2010, 01:23 PM

I would love this for our family. We are moving soon and are trying to do a huge purge before then. So, I have a few questions. If these have been asked already, please forgive me.

How many shirts, pants, socks, shoes, etc for each family member?

How many toys for each child?

How many sets of dishes or towels or sheets?

I'm trying to set more specific goals so I can make better choices for what I am keeping. We have been blessed with so much but we really don't need all of it and it's becoming impossible to contain everything. I want our new home to be clean and clear so we have room to live and play.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:49 PM

I'd love to join this thread if that's okay.

This year I want to work on two issues - The first being decluttering our home physically and the second issue being simplifying and organizing our life as a family.

Right now I am working on decluttering our home. We are un-organized in general and it always gets in the way and seems to cause much frustration (e.g not being able to find something when you need to). Having less possessions would make the house easier to keep clean and I have noticed that when our home is clean, everyone is much calmer and happier in general.

One of the biggest things for me in initiating this change is finally accepting that I can only do so much and working within that. Also trying to let go of my perfectionism as it's really becoming debilitating.

âAdvertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy stuff we don't need.â
Old 02-07-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnymommy View Post

It really depends on your life and the way you do things. Mostly how often you do laundry and how you sort your loads. My son has about eight pairs of pants, but they all go in the dark load, and he's always running out. If more went in with the colored or white loads he wouldn't run out. I know some people have one plate, bowl, cup knife fork spoon for each family member, but we mostly use the dishwasher, and that's not a load, so we'd keep running out of things. I say whatever fits in your space and is used frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
saw an apt today; too dingy for our tastes right now. a lot of nice space and a good location, but actually leaking while we were there. yeah, so not a good sign. and the nearest laundry is across town! across *town*. LOL

back to the drawing board!
I thought you'd bought one? Did that fall through?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Banned

we opted not to buy right away, because DH got a bit nervous about it. he wasn't really getting the space changes.

it's hard to describe how his mind works. but essentially he agrees to be agreeable, and then gets scared and a bit angry if it's not what he expected. so, the apt that we were looking at is great--it is actually quite comfortable in size--but he felt that it was "way too small!" and so we backed away.

of course, nearly every apartment that we are looking at renting is about the same size as the one we could purchase, but he seems happier with that for right now, so that's what we are doing.

-----

in so far as moving goes, you really just have to decide how you want to live to determine what the right amount is. you don't want to feel as if you aren't living abundantly, you know?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:55 PM

Our life right now is making me feel like I can't move, everywhere I look I see stuff. I want to look around and see empty surfaces where one can sit, prepare food, eat a meal, etc without first having to move stuff out of the way.

For example, I counted my youngest daughter's clothes. She has 10 pairs of pj's, 25 shirts, 20 pants, 15 dresses, 5 jackets, 7 sweaters, and 3 winter coats not counting what's overflowing in her hamper. That's just her winter clothing, she has about the same amount of stuff for summer. That's just too much and it's all over the place!

I am great at washing, drying and folding but not good at all when it comes to putting away. I guess I thought that if we had less it would be easier to put away. I wouldn't mind doing more loads if they were more manageable.

So maybe if I had the goal of cutting each of our wardrobes by half and see how that goes? I could always put things in bins in the garage until the move and if we don't miss it then I can just take them to Goodwill.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
For me, simplicity is living in a way that promotes a deep sense of well-being and inner peace, with a bigger goal of "less is more" (however that is defined for you). If mixing up detergent achieves this, then great! For me, I'd rather conscientiously buy my detergent, thus freeing up more time and energy to go play in the park with dd or read a book!

I, too, really wonder if homesteading-style simple living is 'simple' at all ... but we are all on our individual journeys. We had a old house and property that was taking up our time and money and energy, and was not brining us any sense of well-being and inner peace, so we sold it and bought a newer condo. That simplified our housing situation immensely! But if different people found deep fulfillment dealing with a crumbling property, it would be a very different experience for them.

To each their own simplicity!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 02-08-2010, 05:38 AM
Banned

what i like about homesteading is the self sufficiency. that said, i am not a homesteader myself. i am inspired by Path to Freedom, though. (pathtofreedom.com)

---

i think that your daughter has more clothing than the three of us combined. lol!

the best way to purge is to begin to ask yourself why the situation is as it is now. how did your daughter come by so much clothing? emotionally, what is going on in regards to that? gifts from others? hand me downs? you buy it? each of these may be creating an emotional response in you that allows it to be and to continue.

the reason that this aspect is important is because if you don't know what that is, even if or when you purge, it will just recollect right back up. it takes *diligence* to purge and then continue to live with less.

right now, we are in a situation where we are purged of nearly everything that we once owned. we have very little with us. we will begin to again collect possessions: bed and linens, kitchen goods, furnishings for our home--sofas, chairs, office furnishings, etc.

all of it seems like *a lot* of stuff to me right now. it may be that we have empty rooms for a while (we will get a bed and linens right away), and that the kitchen is at a very basic state for just the three of us (i keep 6 place settings now so that we can invite guests, have a bit left over for us, and so on).

it will be ok. i will be ok if i do buy stuff. but i will be conscious to buy only what we will use and need, and not be too frivolous!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:

nonnymommy, I'm personally not a fan of numbering my clothes and toys and other things. The way we do it is that we designate a space for say, linens. We have one drawer under our bed for all of our linens. What we use MUST fit in there.

For toys, DS has one bookshelf, a toy rack, and a toybox (for big stuff). We allow any toys that he plays with and that don't annoy the crap out of us into the toy rack. If it starts to get full? We purge. We also purge whenever anything new comes in.

Each family member has one dresser and one closet. That's it. Whatever fits in there is welcome, but no overflowing allowed (and no storing clothes for the winter/summer in a different place).

This has helped our family remain within reasonable boundaries without the stress of "ack! I now have 21 shirts!!" which didn't feel simple to us at all.

ETA: I guess simple for us means that our THINGS don't interfere with our life. We don't have too much, nor do we have too little. Either would interfere with the quality of our lives. We are a family that in order to simplify, moved into a bigger house with lots more land (we're homesteading on this land). It's more upkeep for us, but it allows us to be more independent, and to spend MORE time with our family on our land and less time as consumers in the commercial world. That, to us, is much more simple. Give me a day in the garden with all the work it entails as opposed to an hour rushing through our crowded local supermarket any day.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:35 PM

Am I the only one with more than one kid here? I have 4. It seems much harder to control the clutter with kids who have their own stuff and their own ideas of what is valuable *to them*. I have very little, but my older 2 have very specific ideas of what they cannot live without and that means they have much more stuff than I would prefer. Not to mention birthdays and xmas. Of course dh and I carefully choose what we buy, but they have friends and relatives and doting grandparents. Plus, they have their own money to buy stuff with as well. We are very fortunate that we have talked with them about simplicity, environmental impacts of our purchases, buying less but good quality instead of lots of cheap things. But they are people with their own wants and ideas and that means they don't always do the things *I* would prefer We still own less than most people we know, and we plan to stay in our <1000sqft home.

As for how much we own, I like the numbers. It helps me decide to keep less. Each child has 10 shirts, 5 pairs of pants, and my girls have a couple of dresses. That is enough to account for layering on cold days, a couple days laundry turnaround, spilling dinners on shirts, and going away for a few days. We don't currently have a washing machine (we are ordering a combo machine to put in our family closet) so we need a few more items until that arrives and is installed.

I have one set of sheets and blankets per bed, enough towels for one per person (plus a couple of designated "swim towels"), and enough rags, dish towels, and wash cloths for a week. It has worked great so far.

Our other big clutter magnet is our homeschooling supplies. I have 2 that are school age and I have pared down what we have, but we really use a lots of different resources throughout the year so it is hard to get rid of books they love.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Simplicity to me is about making my life easier to manage.

I have to say having ingredients on hand so I can cook up cookies, breads, bagels myself at home at any time, using simple real ingredients is a lot easier than having to run to the grocery store every time I need something. I also have the benefit of knowing the food is fresh and the ingredients are not going to harm my body in the long term. I also find cooking therapeutic. Being able to make things is a great feeling!

We heat the house with wood. In the summer we have to order wood and have it delivered. Then we have to move it from the front yard to the back and stack it. In the winter I have to chop kindling and split the bigger logs. Then move the wood around from the back the the sheltered side of the house and then bring it inside to burn. I have to make fire starters out of wood chips, egg cartons and old candle wax. Every day I wake up and get the fire burning and I have to feed the fire all day. All of this is in no way simpler than switching the furnace on in the fall and switching it off in the spring. But for some reason it seems simpler to me. I like chopping wood. I like the hard physical labor!

This year I am focusing on simplifying my schedule. Gone are the days of over booking and running around! I am truly looking forward to hanging out at home spending time with the kids and working on the garden.

Doing all these things we save a boatload of money. I don't work and DH only has to work 3 days a week in order to pay the bills. DH is opening a bike repair shop this spring (something he loves to do) so hopefully he will have to work even less at his other job.

We want out of the rat race. We want to slow things down. We don't want to get to the end of it all and find out we have been so busy we didn't even get to enjoy it all.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I guess simple for us means that our THINGS don't interfere with our life. We don't have too much, nor do we have too little. Either would interfere with the quality of our lives. We are a family that in order to simplify, moved into a bigger house with lots more land (we're homesteading on this land). It's more upkeep for us, but it allows us to be more independent, and to spend MORE time with our family on our land and less time as consumers in the commercial world. That, to us, is much more simple. Give me a day in the garden with all the work it entails as opposed to an hour rushing through our crowded local supermarket any day.
I think DH and I are in love with you and your DH.... You are welcome at my home anytime!

Old 02-08-2010, 03:08 PM

My girls, especially the youngest, have so many clothes because I have a very dear friend who buys too much that has given us wonderful hand-me-downs and family that is very generous. My dh has too many clothes because he buys too much. And I have too many clothes because I hang on to them for just in case. I think I just have to start saying No thanks

I like the idea of each person having one dresser and one closet and one shelf for linens. Putting things away would be much easier then because everything would fit.

My children love to wear out of season clothes though. When it's summer they get the mittens and boots out to play and when it's winter they love to put on their swimsuits. So, I've resorted to bins in the garage for out of season clothes just to avoid the struggles. Maybe each person should only have one bin for out of season clothing?
Old 02-08-2010, 04:53 PM

Ive been slacking on keeping up with this thread

I'm on my way to purge some of ds's clothes though. He's refusing to take a nap and since dd is down for her nap I might as well hit ds's clothes.

There's so much clothes they are overflowing the drawers!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 02-08-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
I think DH and I are in love with you and your DH.... You are welcome at my home anytime!
Aww, thanks! You, too!

Quote:
My girls, especially the youngest, have so many clothes because I have a very dear friend who buys too much that has given us wonderful hand-me-downs and family that is very generous. My dh has too many clothes because he buys too much. And I have too many clothes because I hang on to them for just in case. I think I just have to start saying No thanks

I like the idea of each person having one dresser and one closet and one shelf for linens. Putting things away would be much easier then because everything would fit.

My children love to wear out of season clothes though. When it's summer they get the mittens and boots out to play and when it's winter they love to put on their swimsuits. So, I've resorted to bins in the garage for out of season clothes just to avoid the struggles. Maybe each person should only have one bin for out of season clothing?
Hand-me-downs are a huge weakness of mine. I've found that if I match outfits when the clothes are given to me, I'm less likely to keep something that DS will never wear.

One bin each sounds fair for outerwear. We haven't gotten to it in the new house, but we're making a "spot" for each of us to keep coats and hats and things in our mudroom. Each person will have their own space, and what fits in that space is what they're allowed. Kinda like this. I'm thinking it'll just not get used when it's warm out and we're not using coats and things.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

nonny,

it sounds to me like it is difficult for you to say no, and the feeling of not wanting to waste as well. I can understand this. It was definitely part of my own situation.

It was important for me to learn to be honest, to learn to say no, or to simply take things but pass them along (consign them or pass them to other needy families). i just cannot take on other people's stuff when i don't really need it.

For my husband, his clothing collection kept ballooning because he didn't know what he wanted to wear or wouldn't put things away. once we determined his "style," he was able to streamline down nicely and feel satisfied with his clothing.

I work from a combined process of numbers as well as space. We went minimalist because we only had so many suitcases that we could bring with us. It needed to be a 4 season wardrobe, too. The next aspect of this for us is that we are moving into a 1 bedroom apartment (we are pretty sure; we look at a two bedroom today of the same price, but a bit further out). This means that space is at a premium. It has one closet. the bed we are looking at purchasing has 6 drawers beneath. All of our clothing and linens would fit in the drawers. there is room for a bit of expansion, but not much!

---

And it is true that people define what they need very differently. some people are not naturally minimalists (my sister, for example, has a very ornate style), and what we need is often defined in very different ways. there is nothing wrong with this.

At the end of the day, the real question relates to organization of what those individuals have. As a family, it is important to have a unified organizational process so that everyone knows where things belong and when they belong there (vs out and in use).

For example, a family can choose that toys are kept in the children's rooms, but that art supplies, school work, and related are kept in a common area. Then, the family can determine how those spaces are to be organized and when objects can be out vs put away.

In our home, I decided to keep Hawk's toys in the common area as to keep our room very serene and free of clutter. I keep the toys in two trunks (well, actually one trunk currently). The common area also houses the shelves/wardrobe that contains our office supplies, writing supplies, and will also contain art supplies as we grow into that.

If children share a room, they can design the organizational scheme and processes as suit their needs in their own rooms. This teaches them how to think about their thing, clutter, etc.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Banned

i like the locker/cubbies look. THere are a lot of options for those out in the world, but i recommend having one built because it generally costs a lot less and can be made to your own specifications and needs.

I'm planning on having one built that has shoe-rack drawers in the bottom and then three "lockers" or "cubbies" behind doors. I want it to only be about shoulder high for me--about 5 ft or so tall, about 14 or so inches deep, and about 60 inches wide. and then put a mirror above it. It would be substantial, but it would cost about the same as buying a ready made one from what i can gather from talking to builders.

it's a great idea though. i discovered that we really used our shoe rack and hooks in our entry, but that it did look messy even when it was organized and as neat as i can make it. DH also likes cubbies/lockers, and so he helped me design what we want to have built. That way, it will be used and really meet our needs.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:40 PM

I would like to join this thread, I want my 15.5 month old to learn to grow up as simply as possible. Not only that but my Fiance and I are planning a wedding 3 years from now, planning on buying a house in the near future and planning for a new baby, we need all the simply living help we can get.

Krys(29) DP to Ad (32)
~Attachment, co-sleeping parents to CJ (10/08)~ Mama to an angel baby born at 25.5 weeks Sophie (01/10)

User Tag List