where are your aprons? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
stupid topic I know. but I am not happy wherever I seem to put them.

I only have two. One VERY OUTDATED OUTGROWN VERY BORING but utilitarian apron that I use all the time and one sort of frivolous half apron. I can't seem to make them look good anywhere.

We have a very small space, let's see if this works. This is our kitchen: http://picasaweb.google.com/wood.ver...35300666723234

I had them hanging by the duster over there, but it just looks messy, I also have hung them hanging of the pantry door or a nail on the side of the cabinet you can't really see on the right.

uuugh. I really. really. want a pretty apron. that makes me feel like a vintage domestic queen, BUT I am giving up on the idea if I don't have any place to put them away where they look 'neat'.

sorry to be so bothersome on such a frivolous ordeal

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can you hang them on some inside door (pantry, for example)?
Maybe it would help to make one (if you sew) from a nice fabric ("Scandinavian style" plaid or something the like so you really like to look at them?

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#3 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 09:30 AM

I love to get crazy sewing stuff, just flying by the seat of my yoga pantz, and I would totally find a way to sew the half apron onto the utilitarian one, so it's at least halfway cute and then fold it up and store it with the kitchen towels or another drawer somewhere.

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#4 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sigh, I have the same problem. No pantry - so no place to hang a hook. I just roll the aprons up and stick them in the cupboard with my baking pans and measuring cups. Then they tend to get buried once the baking is over and the dishes are done and put away. Which means that I usually forget to take it out and use it.

I would figure out the most accessible place to hang them, but where you think they look neat and/or pretty. The pantry is probably the spot.
#5 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 11:34 AM

I fold mine and keep them with my napkins and dish towels.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#6 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
I fold mine and keep them with my napkins and dish towels.
me too

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#7 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 12:16 PM

I hang mine on a hook inside the pantry. If I didn't have one, then I'd probably fold and keep in a kitchen drawer (like where my towels are).
#8 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 12:20 PM

here's my kitchen..... http://www.flickr.com/photos/vmdesigns/3376263926/

i keep my aprons folded up in the top drawer to the right of my sink. i can't stand the messiness of them hanging out in view. my towels and dish cloths are in a drawer below them.

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#9 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 01:38 PM

I love seeing other people's kitchens!

I keep my aprons folded in a drawer with the extra dishtowels. We use a LOT of dishtowels, so yes, I have some extra set aside.

I have two cute full aprons and one half apron. One of the full aprons was a gift made for me by a dear, dear friend. It has fairies all over it. The other full apron I got at the farmer's market this summer and it has ladybugs on it. The half apron was a gift from an old friend from work a bazillion years ago. It has a cat on it.

Etsy has some really cute and reasonably priced aprons if you decide to splurge and buy a new apron you would like seeing out in your kitchen. Or maybe you could restyle your apron as someone up thread suggested.

If you spend a fair amount of time in the kitchen, it is kind of big deal if you are uncomfortable there. Nobody wants to spend time in an area that makes them feel restless.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#10 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 01:51 PM

Here's my kitchen. I have mine and the kids' aprons hung up on the bakers rack. I don't have the drawer space to fold them up and keep them in a drawer.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#11 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

okay, okay these are GREAT suggestions, but I guess I didn't do a good job at showing how tiny my kitchen is.

I love the drawer idea, but folks I have TWO! One teeny tiny one that we actually cut part of a normal silverware holder off so that it would fit- so obviously that one holds all our flatware. The other drawer hold can openers, spatula, skewers, thermometer, cookie cutters etc.

I'd hang it inside my pantry but then the child locks wouldn't close (you wouldn't have liked to see what that was like when they had free access to that)!

SO, if you couldn't put it in a drawer, and couldn't hang it in your pantry where would you put them?

#12 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

I need to find a way to redesign my kitchen space now that I see all these functional kitchens!

#13 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 05:15 PM

I don't have any aprons, but if I did, I would most likely hang them in the hall closet. The closet is only a few feet from the kitchen. Do you have any extra space like that nearby?
#14 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 PM

So, do you have no place where you put folded dish towels or cloth napkins?

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#15 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 05:37 PM

Mine are all on a hanger in the coat closet
#16 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
So, do you have no place where you put folded dish towels or cloth napkins?
in the cupboard above the tea and coffee

never thought to put them up there

why not!?

THANK YOU

(sometimes I just astound myself with silliness-- I need to sleep more)!

#17 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 05:56 PM

So can your aprons go there? I don't know about yours but mine (three of them) fold up to take up very little space.

#18 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior View Post

why not!?

THANK YOU
Crossposted with you, lol.

Quote:
ME TOO!!!

#19 of 40 Old 01-06-2010, 06:39 PM

I love your fruit stand. I've been looking for something like that for a few months now with no luck.
#20 of 40 Old 01-07-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:

why not!?

THANK YOU

I know what you mean about needing more sleep (wow, look at the time 1:00 am already)!

If you try the above approach and it doesn't work for you, I have another couple of suggestions. You could put it on a hook by the door so that it is camouflaged by something so that it doesn't look "messy"... Like, put a small towel rack over the hook that sticks out a little, hang the apron on the hook, and then hang some artwork over the towel rack to cover the hook and apron. Then your apron is still easily accessible (just reach behind the art), AND your kitchen looks pretty.

Do you have a cupboard below your kitchen sink? You could use some around-the-plumbing sink storage (if you haven't already done so), put a towel rack on the inside of the door and then hang the apron there (folded in half so it's not longer than the cupboard).

It's not that difficult to make an apron -- do you have a sewing machine and know how to sew, or do you know someone who has one and can teach you? An apron would make for a relatively easy first project. (you could even make one by hand, but that would take longer.)

Then, when you hang up the apron, you could put three small hooks on the door, in a triangle shape with the point going up. Hang the apron on the top hook, and then add something to the sides of the apron (similar to a hanger loops you see in dresses and skirts, only much shorter) and then you could hang your apron FLAT on the door, so that you can see the pattern of your lovely hand-made apron
#21 of 40 Old 01-07-2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laedi View Post
Mine are all on a hanger in the coat closet
That's a great idea! And I bet the first thing you do when you get home from work (if you work) is hang up your coat, and put on your apron, right?

I should do that too...
#22 of 40 Old 01-07-2010, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

I love your fruit stand. I've been looking for something like that for a few months now with no luck.
I got it at hobby lobby when it was 50% OFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivgaen View Post
I know what you mean about needing more sleep (wow, look at the time 1:00 am already)!

If you try the above approach and it doesn't work for you, I have another couple of suggestions. You could put it on a hook by the door so that it is camouflaged by something so that it doesn't look "messy"... Like, put a small towel rack over the hook that sticks out a little, hang the apron on the hook, and then hang some artwork over the towel rack to cover the hook and apron. Then your apron is still easily accessible (just reach behind the art), AND your kitchen looks pretty.

Do you have a cupboard below your kitchen sink? You could use some around-the-plumbing sink storage (if you haven't already done so), put a towel rack on the inside of the door and then hang the apron there (folded in half so it's not longer than the cupboard).

It's not that difficult to make an apron -- do you have a sewing machine and know how to sew, or do you know someone who has one and can teach you? An apron would make for a relatively easy first project. (you could even make one by hand, but that would take longer.)

Then, when you hang up the apron, you could put three small hooks on the door, in a triangle shape with the point going up. Hang the apron on the top hook, and then add something to the sides of the apron (similar to a hanger loops you see in dresses and skirts, only much shorter) and then you could hang your apron FLAT on the door, so that you can see the pattern of your lovely hand-made apron
Yeah, I'm super sleep deprived. Hubby and I trade working days/nights & being with the children. I always need a few hours of time to unwind when I get home and then jump up with the kiddos when they get up so that means 5-7 hours a night average

I love your suggestions. I wish I could sew. I mean I'm sure I can and was finally given an old old sewing machine but the tension is somehow all messed up and I haven't had a change to figure out how to fix it In the meantime I'm trying to trade knitting and hand spun yarns with a friend that can sew!

I REALLY love the first idea, but it's probably my tiredness right now I can't seem to completely "see" it. Do you happen to have a picture of something similar you've done in your home?

Thanks

#23 of 40 Old 01-07-2010, 03:58 AM

Mine are in a drawer with the baby bibs. It seemed appropriate to group them

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#24 of 40 Old 01-07-2010, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

haha, I like it but I never used a single bib on a baby LOL

#25 of 40 Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I REALLY love the first idea, but it's probably my tiredness right now I can't seem to completely "see" it. Do you happen to have a picture of something similar you've done in your home?

Thanks
I have done something similar, but I did a window treatment over a door. Though the concept could still apply. I took some pictures, but I can't find the camera cable to download them to my computer... Oh well, lets see if I can explain it better:

First, go to the hardware store, and find 2 curtain rods that are about 18-20" long. (You need two of them because one is for the top, and the second is for the bottom, to hold the canvas down to keep it from flapping around).

Maybe combine it with something like this:
http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/ca...y=Types&Page=1

(Really, you can use any kind of fabric, but I selected canvas because it would keep its shape better and would stand up to being used frequently.

Next, install the first rod near the top of your door (make sure it is above the hook for your apron).

You'll need to cut a piece about 22", by (however long you want your art to be -- make sure it fully covers the hanging apron). Add 4" to length for a seam allowance.

Fold over the long edge of the fabric about 1", and iron it flat, then tack it with some thread. Do the same on the other side. Next, Fold the fabric over at the top edge by 2", iron flat, and tack into place (this should make a hole that you can use to slide the rod through the canvas). Do the same for the bottom of the canvas.

Hang the curtain on the first rod, place the second rod in the bottom, hanging loose. Pull the canvas gently down so that it is taught, and then mark your holes for installing the second curtain rod. (The second curtain rod needs to be installed upside-down, so that it can pull on the canvas and make sure it stays flat.

Once everything is done, you could even decorate your canvas further (with little helpers, if you like!), or just buy a patterend canvas that you don't need to decorate. Whatever you decide to do.

And Voila! You can remove the top rod easily to replace the apron, and then snap it back into place when finished and everything is beautiful!
#26 of 40 Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 AM

We have a very small, triangular corner cabinet in the kitchen that holds the kids an my aprons.

Sigh, I would really like to exchange my plain black apron for a pretty one. One that makes me fell like a domestic godess! That is something I have wanted to do for a long while. Maybe today I can gift my old one to DH for his bicycle shop.
#27 of 40 Old 01-07-2010, 11:19 AM

Can you put another hook next to the one where your feather duster is hanging, and hang them there?
#28 of 40 Old 01-17-2010, 04:13 AM

I feel a little silly- at one point I had over 20 aprons (one of my collection obsessions). I keep the "active ones" hanging behind the pantry door on an over the door hook. I have the rest folded in the linen closet.

In your case, what if you got a couple of those 3M Command hooks (that come off easy) and either hung the aprons on the end of your cabinets, or on the inside of one of your lower cabinets - then they are not really eye level, but they are still handy.
#29 of 40 Old 01-18-2010, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post
Can you put another hook next to the one where your feather duster is hanging, and hang them there?
I had them there for a while, but it's so messy looking. My regular apron is seriously 15 years old from my high school days and says "legalize pot holders" and the other is a half apron that my children like to use they hang all irregular together and just make the space look so messy which is frustrating because I'm working so hard to get everything in order now.

#30 of 40 Old 01-18-2010, 04:10 PM

Ours are folded and tucked through the oven door handle or fridge door handle... they double as hand towels when not being worn.

I'd love a domestic diva type apron though!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page