knives/knife blocks - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 01-19-2010, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love my knife block. AND my slots are sideways, so I don't have to worry about training DH and MIL to put the knives in upside down. The only other thing that I would consider is a magnetic strip that was inside a cupboard door near the stove, that might work for me. I wouldn't want them OUT on a magnetic strip, just wierds me out.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 32 Old 01-21-2010, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post
We have a knife block and actually prefer it.

I was under the impression that storing knives loose, like in a drawer, where their blades can touch and nick each other is not good for them.

We bought a knife set by Farberware about 7yrs ago and have been very happy w/ it. The handle and blade on each knife are 1 piece. We store the knives in the block upside down so that the blades don't rub the block and dull. I also use the sharpening steel almost every time I use a straight blade just so I get nice cuts.

We use pretty much all the pieces in the set. I've thought of getting a magnetic strip, but I don't think I like the look of exposed blades.
I had this same set and also kept them upside down. They held up great for five years and still would be if a destructive younger BIL hadn't gotten ahold of them but I'll avoid revisiting that again... I also used all the pieces. I think it is a good compact set to cover all your bases (especially if, like me, you had basic silverware but no steak knives) and occasionally can be found on super clearance at a Bed Bath & Beyond, Linens N Things, or similar store.
With that said, I've definitely had my eye on that Kapoosh-type thing and will probably try to buy separate knives or an even smaller set next time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page