knives/knife blocks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah or nay? Clutter or helpful?

Any recommendations on a good but not super expensive brand of knives?

I know Wusthof is tops but no can do.
#2 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 02:19 PM

I had a block once upon a time but we got rid of it. Now we have a magnetic strip on the wall- less cluttery and the kids can't reach it. My mom keeps telling me it's bad feng shui to have blades out like that but the energy in my kitchen seems ok to me!

My knives are Chicago Cutlery and I've been really happy with them. I think I paid around $100 for the set but that was 10 years ago. I think you want to look for something where the metal is one continuous piece, from blade into handle (there is a proper terminology for this but I can't remember ). Also it might be better to buy something that has open stock so you don't get unneccessary pieces. My set came with a boning knife, for example, which I have never used.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#3 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 02:47 PM

i just decluttered my knife block and put the knives in a narrow kitchen drawer (like only 5" wide) next to the stove. i have one of those magnetic strips but haven't put it up yet.
#4 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 03:05 PM

We have a knife block and actually prefer it.

I was under the impression that storing knives loose, like in a drawer, where their blades can touch and nick each other is not good for them.

We bought a knife set by Farberware about 7yrs ago and have been very happy w/ it. The handle and blade on each knife are 1 piece. We store the knives in the block upside down so that the blades don't rub the block and dull. I also use the sharpening steel almost every time I use a straight blade just so I get nice cuts.

We use pretty much all the pieces in the set. I've thought of getting a magnetic strip, but I don't think I like the look of exposed blades.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#5 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 03:30 PM

I like my knife block. I don't like the ideas of knives in a drawer or the look of all the blades out on the wall.

Mine came with our set of knives a few years ago. I see them at thrift stores frequently, though, if you wanted to try it and see if you like it with minimal investment.
#6 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 03:32 PM

Check out Victorinox, they make Swiss Army knives and also make kitchen knives. We have some and I like them. Here is the set DH bought.

We also have our knives on a magnetic strip but on the side of the fridge. I don't particularly like that though, I would rather have a block. Maybe it is the feng shui thing like SageR's mom said!
#7 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 03:33 PM

we have a magnetic strip too. helps keep your knives sharp. Knife blocks tend to dull blades bc you are basically dragging it across wood like a cutting board every time you put them away.

I have Wusthof bc i am a culinary student and got them with my knife kit.

wild.gifCrazy Chef-in-training baking wife(27) of geek.gif (32) mother of 2 energy.gif 11-21-03 & 9 - 13 - 07

#8 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 03:49 PM

We use a magnet strip on the side of a cabinet for the 4 knives we use all the time. They are not easily seen where they are. We used to have a knife block with a whole set of knives but it could be reached by kids on the counter.

Over the years I realized I only ever used a couple of good knives, even cleaning them if they were dirty rather then grabbing one of the less expensive ones that were clean. Wusthof just makes great knives. So last summer I dumped all the rest in my decluttering. I have 3 Wusthof knives and one random brand I inherited and not available in the US. You can find Wusthof for a more reasonable price at places like Marshalls and TJMaxx. Keep an eye on them as sometimes you can even find them on sale off their prices.
#9 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 03:58 PM

This is what I have
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=13749337

It has rods instead of slots. I can fit in a lot more especially since my sets don't match.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#10 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post
We store the knives in the block upside down so that the blades don't rub the block and dull.
You mean with the edge of the knives pointing up? So flipped over from how they are in the picture? Does that actually keep them from touching the block? Blocks I've had, the knives fit fairly snugly. Maybe yours is designed for keeping the edges from dulling, which would be cool.

Since we don't eat steak at home, ever, we have a magnetic strip and like 4 chefs knives, and a couple paring knives. Some Chicago cutlery and some other ones we got from Target that have stayed sharper (we have a honing stick, but no sharpening stone) than the Chicago C. knives.

Don't get serrated knives, you can't sharpen them and despite what they all claim, you will *want* to sharpen them eventually.
#11 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageR View Post
I had a block once upon a time but we got rid of it. Now we have a magnetic strip on the wall- less cluttery and the kids can't reach it. My mom keeps telling me it's bad feng shui to have blades out like that but the energy in my kitchen seems ok to me!
ditto.

here's ours. http://www.flickr.com/photos/vmdesigns/3376263926/

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#12 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
You mean with the edge of the knives pointing up? So flipped over from how they are in the picture? Does that actually keep them from touching the block? Blocks I've had, the knives fit fairly snugly. Maybe yours is designed for keeping the edges from dulling, which would be cool.

Since we don't eat steak at home, ever, we have a magnetic strip and like 4 chefs knives, and a couple paring knives. Some Chicago cutlery and some other ones we got from Target that have stayed sharper (we have a honing stick, but no sharpening stone) than the Chicago C. knives.

Don't get serrated knives, you can't sharpen them and despite what they all claim, you will *want* to sharpen them eventually.
Yes, we flipped the knives over from how they are shown in the picture. We found the tendency is to put downward pressure on the knife when removing it from the block, so now, the top of the knife (non-blade edge) rubs the bottom of the slot. The blade does not touch the block if we're mindful; our knives don't fit snugly in their slots, they can be jostled slightly if you bump the block.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#13 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post
Check out Victorinox, they make Swiss Army knives and also make kitchen knives. We have some and I like them. Here is the set DH bought.
I replaced my expensive German set with Victorinox and am very happy. This brand gets good professional reviews.

I replaced our countertop block with an in-drawer tray. It is wood with some sort of peg guards at the points where the blades rest. It is just a few inches wide and holds my chef's knife, utility knife, bread knife and steak knives. I can't remember where I bought it, it was from the same site as the knives but the name escapes me now.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#14 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 PM

I have a set of Henckel professional knives that I loveloveloveLOVE. I store them in a block and have them professionally sharpened at least once a year; the block doesn't seem to affect their sharpness, as far as I can tell. I also use the steel to straighten the blade I'm using each time. If I had a drawer I could use for only knife storage and could use something that would store them without touching each other, I *might* do that. OTOH, I do like the way I can quickly grab what I need from the block.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#15 of 32 Old 01-06-2010, 08:27 PM

Oh, and actually, while I said "a set," it's not really a set. If you buy open-stock, you can choose the knives you will actually USE, which isn't always what comes in a set. What I have is perfect for me, but might not be perfect for YOU.

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#16 of 32 Old 01-07-2010, 02:57 AM

I have a block and I prefer it. It sits to the back and side of the counter that I usually prep food on.
#17 of 32 Old 01-07-2010, 03:14 AM

We have Cutco knives and they have their own drawer. I don't like the idea of having the knives out on the counter. Gives me the creeps.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#18 of 32 Old 01-07-2010, 03:25 AM

Knife blocks gross me out. There's no way to clean them or even tell if they need cleaning. I don't like built-in cutting boards for the same reason.

My inlaws have a magnetic strip on the wall, which works great, my parents have a special drawer with dividers to keep each knife separate without hiding the blades, and I keep ours in the silverware drawer.

Loving my girl since Feb 2010! vax!
#19 of 32 Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 AM

We have this great knife drawer organizer. Supposedly it's better than a block because they just rest in it so it doesn't dull the blade. I had to get rid of our knife block when my 2 year old (who's now 3) enjoyed climbing on the counters to play with knives. Yikes! So now I keep them in a child proofed drawer.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...ge%7Ccutsshsto

#20 of 32 Old 01-07-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinMom View Post
I have a set of Henckel professional knives that I loveloveloveLOVE. I store them in a block and have them professionally sharpened at least once a year; the block doesn't seem to affect their sharpness, as far as I can tell. I also use the steel to straighten the blade I'm using each time. If I had a drawer I could use for only knife storage and could use something that would store them without touching each other, I *might* do that. OTOH, I do like the way I can quickly grab what I need from the block.
OT but where do you get them sharpened? Do you send them away or locally?

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#21 of 32 Old 01-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthnut View Post
Knife blocks gross me out. There's no way to clean them or even tell if they need cleaning. I don't like built-in cutting boards for the same reason.

My inlaws have a magnetic strip on the wall, which works great, my parents have a special drawer with dividers to keep each knife separate without hiding the blades, and I keep ours in the silverware drawer.
If the knives are always washed and dried before they go into the block, then how is the block getting dirty? There's never anything on my knives when I pull them out of the block, which I would think there would be if the slots were dirty.

My neighbor has the built in cutting boards and she removes them to use them (sets them on the counter top) and to wash them. All seems perfectly clean.
#22 of 32 Old 01-08-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post
If the knives are always washed and dried before they go into the block, then how is the block getting dirty? There's never anything on my knives when I pull them out of the block, which I would think there would be if the slots were dirty.

My neighbor has the built in cutting boards and she removes them to use them (sets them on the counter top) and to wash them. All seems perfectly clean.
Fine if you have total control over the cleanliness of your knives. I don't trust DH to clean them completely and certainly not dry them always before putting them away. Plus we have an occasional housemate and he's even worse. (he puts dishes away dirty ) I've had built-in cutting boards mold because people weren't vigilant enough. At least you can tell with cutting boards if people aren't vigilant enough. (and if they aren't it's very hard to clean the slot) You wouldn't necessarily be able to tell with a knife block. (and it'd be even harder to clean)

I'm not saying that it's inevitable that they would get dirty, but it depends on the people using them, and if they do get dirty, they're really hard to clean.

Loving my girl since Feb 2010! vax!
#23 of 32 Old 01-08-2010, 02:54 PM

Our $40 knife block set from Target has lasted 15 years and still kicking with some occasional maintenance. We used to take the carving knive to the meat department at the grocery store to have it sharpened once a year, but now my husband does the same thing in his shop. Yes, they are a little dinged after fifteen years' use, but I think we've gotten our money's worth out of them. LOL It is the Michael Graves set with black handles and a light-stained wooden block--for some reason we always have people complimenting us on them--I think it's the shape of the handles that is distinctive or something.

"For me, You have created the skies scattered with stars...and all the beautiful things on earth." ~St. Maximilian Kolbe
#24 of 32 Old 01-08-2010, 02:58 PM

I like our knife block and we use it daily.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#25 of 32 Old 01-15-2010, 07:33 PM

We do the magnetic strip.

I have always maintained that you really only need three knives: a great chef's knife, a decent paring knife, and an el cheapo serrated knife. DH is a chef (okay, was until a few months back a was laid off), and I have cooked professionally - this has been both of our experiences.

At home, we have a Global chef's knife and paring knife, and a crappy Target serrated knife. We also have a chef's knife that was $15 from a restaurant supply catalog, and although it will never be better than the Global, when properly sharpened, it is pretty darn good. With proper sharpening, a $15 knife can work great for the home cook. DH's test for proper sharpness is to a) test it on his arm hair (gross, I know) and b) see if it will cut through a tomato neatly and quickly.

love.gif

#26 of 32 Old 01-15-2010, 08:05 PM

Like a pp, I have a Kapoosh knife block from bed bath and beyond. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made for the kitchen. It's completely customizable and you can take the inside out and wash it in the dishwasher. I used to have a traditional knife block but I hated that there were a plethora of knives I never used but if I took them out there were empty slots, and there was no room for "extra" knives. I don't like the idea of a magnetic strip because the blades would creep me out, esp. since I have small children. (I know they're safe, it just gives me the creeps.) I also like to have my knives on the counter next to my big crock of cooking utensils because I hate having to dig in drawers for things I need when I'm cooking. I just have to grab it.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#27 of 32 Old 01-17-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
OT but where do you get them sharpened? Do you send them away or locally?
Not the OP, but a local shoe repair shop sharpens knives and I try to take mine in every October or November in 2 sets so they are ready to go for the holidays. I take half in and they are gone for a week and then I take the other half.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#28 of 32 Old 01-17-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
How do you cut crusty bread without a serrated knife? Or tomatoes? Maybe I am just uncoordinated.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#29 of 32 Old 01-18-2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post
How do you cut crusty bread without a serrated knife? Or tomatoes? Maybe I am just uncoordinated.
I don't know about crusty bread (because I do own a serrated bread knife) but I've always cut my tomatoes with my (sharp!) Santoku knife.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#30 of 32 Old 01-19-2010, 12:39 AM

My DH made our knife block, so I couldn't be happier with it. That being said, I am looking for ways to streamline my kitchen countertops and he is building me a 'block' that will go inside a sliding tray of a kitchen drawer.

Currently, I have too many knives. The only one I reach for is my Santoku knife, and I ignore the rest (paring, 3 different sized chef's knives, bread knife, and cleaver). If I had to go back and do it all again, I would save my money on a set of knives and get one killer knife that I could use for everything. We have a set of Wusthof knives, so sometimes it feels like a waste.

Jen, SAHM to Jamie and Alexandra and with #3 in May

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page