Digital Clutter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-06-2010, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have too much. I get too many emails for things I signed up for but never read. Then I get lots of emails from folks that are just crap, really. There's one person in particular on a list serve I'm on who sends all kinds of stuff to the list. It's related to the topic of the list, but I just don't need a link to every article she reads on the topic, ya know? I'm thinking of signing off the list, and I really need to start making it a point to un-subscribe from lists. Then I need to tackle all of the files on my computer. Anyone else?

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 12:02 AM

i was feeling this way about my computer. i got it new a year ago, but have never been very organized with it. well, it needed some work the other day (it was freezing and crashing constantly) so i backed up everything i wanted to keep then wiped it clean...reformatted or whatever you call it. it feels really good! i have been going through bookmarks (which i saved) organizing them into the proper files,getting rid of ones i will never look at again. same with photos, and deleting ones that are no good.. i had intended to do all of these things someday, but never got around to it. i guess the universe had other plans! and now my computer is all cleaned up AND working perfectly.
i would like to clean out my email boxes too. i tend to keep up with it but its always good to do one really deep clean!

the other thing i am doing is starting up a new blog. fresh & clean for the new years ahead. i have had the same one for many years and i feel ready to move on.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#3 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 12:22 AM

I started yesterday actually. I went through a few days of emails and unsubscribed to a bunch of newsletters. Rodale/Prevention was the worst offender--I didn't realize how much they were spamming me with ads.

Next I need to do a search on some old work projects I did last year and just archive all of those emails in a folder.

Then I'll be clean!
#4 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 12:44 AM

I really need to do this too. I have way too many newsletters coming in that I always plan on going back and reading but never do. Time to declutter

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#5 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 12:52 AM

I found unsubscribing to a couple every time I signed on for a couple of weeks, brought me to a very manageable level. All yahoo groups went into and changed to have to go to the group to see the post or my most helpful group kept on daily digest only.

I've been trying to keep my inbox empty. I always had so many emails in my inbox "todo" list or to read list and then I felt behind. I've just been deleting and finding that there is always another ________ to read about in the next email. If I pick one from 25 things to read, watch or visit and delete the rest - I'm still doing more than having all this great info on things to do that I never make it to because I'm overwhelmed with info.

Signing Off to read a book ......
#6 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 12:47 PM

I only hold on to what is work related & personal (pics, etc.) My goal is to make sure all my pics & special files are backup properly. Pretty much every thing else can hit the delete file.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#7 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 09:18 PM

I just spent the last 30 minutes unsubscribing from 30(!) random newsletters, I went through my trash folder and anything that had been deleted without being read got upsubbed. Ah that feels good. Now I have to delete the 15 "Thank you for unsubscribing" messages that have just arrived

lady.gifLittlepixie Nov'06 & jog.gif our little monkey Jan'11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page