Pack-rat, Clutter-bugs can be reformed! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-08-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for years, i have lived with a pack-rat clutter bug.

getting him to purge was a nightmare. it took forever. he would spend more time reading and thinking about each inane item that he was holding on to (random pieces of paper from the early 90s), then feel overwhelmed and give up. and god forbid i go through it myself.

fast forward to 2009. we decide to move to NZ.

we purge down to 12 bags to take with us (clothes, shoes, baby's things, etc), and 25 boxes of books (in storage) and one chair (that i just couldn't let go of).

before we purge down this small, we live in our house for two remaining months (it took that long to close because of repairs they demanded). so, we live in our house in a way that is spotless. minimal furniture, minimal kitchen supplies, minimal everything.

everything that comes in (mail, personal papers, etc) gets filed, recycled, or what have you.

and guess who falls in love with the lifestyle of the simplicity, clutter-free lifestyle?

you guessed it: my pack-rat clutter-bug!

over christmas, he said to me when we were at his mother's, at our friend's, at my parents---this place is too cluttered, i can't wait until we're in our clean space again.

and now that we've moved out of our house (and in with friends who have a lot of things), he's so happy that we're in an empty back room with just our few things (12 bags) around us that we are taking with us to NZ.

and he said "when we live in NZ, can we continue to live clutter free and minimal stuff?"

YES! we can!

i've only wanted to for 12 years. LOL

Moving to another country helps. LOL
#2 of 8 Old 01-08-2010, 12:02 PM

yay!

there's hope for me

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#3 of 8 Old 01-08-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

definitely.

my dh said it was two things--what do you really need, and once living simply, you just can't go back.

he's even considering letting go of his entire star wars collection (he let go of 2/3 of it!). *gasp!*
#4 of 8 Old 01-08-2010, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Note to self . . . start giving subtle hints to hubby about moving out of the country . . .

My darling dear has BAGS of clothes in the storage spaces, yet complains he has nothing to wear.

And his filing system . . . and yes, he "knows" where everything is, just never produces it . . . plastic grocery bags.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#5 of 8 Old 01-08-2010, 01:20 PM

very inspiring!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#6 of 8 Old 01-08-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

my DH was a piler. he loves PILES. i taught him first to put his piles in boxes (nice, storage ones from ikea), and now he actually files in those boxes.

it started with the boxes having labels "house stuff" adn "writing stuff" and so on. then, he would go through and put rubber bands and cover pages around each grouping within that "house stuff, bills" and "house stuff, receipts" and "house stuff, important papers" and so on. and now he uses files within the boxes.

and, he has honed himself down to three boxes: house stuff, misc important papers, and current writing notes. i also have a box for taxes.

my husband also used to complain about nothing to wear, and how i always looked good and had good clothes. i told him it's because i fold and put them away, rather than keeping htem in a pile on the sofa. with this, i have fewer items of clothing, so it's easier for me to pick and choose what i want to wear.

it makes it so much easier. when he saw how easy it can be, he got on board.
#7 of 8 Old 01-08-2010, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
my DH was a piler. he loves PILES. i taught him first to put his piles in boxes (nice, storage ones from ikea), and now he actually files in those boxes.

it started with the boxes having labels "house stuff" adn "writing stuff" and so on. then, he would go through and put rubber bands and cover pages around each grouping within that "house stuff, bills" and "house stuff, receipts" and "house stuff, important papers" and so on. and now he uses files within the boxes.

and, he has honed himself down to three boxes: house stuff, misc important papers, and current writing notes. i also have a box for taxes.

my husband also used to complain about nothing to wear, and how i always looked good and had good clothes. i told him it's because i fold and put them away, rather than keeping htem in a pile on the sofa. with this, i have fewer items of clothing, so it's easier for me to pick and choose what i want to wear.

it makes it so much easier. when he saw how easy it can be, he got on board.
Well, I know I'm half way there. We've been married for 6 years. Only 6 more to go!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#8 of 8 Old 01-12-2010, 01:25 AM

Better not let my husband see this-he might start plans for us to move out of the country. I know I would like it and could function better if I could minimize. It's just getting there that kills me. And it doesn't help that everyone keeps giving us stuff all the time....

Married to wonderful DH 10 yrs DS 9yrs self-weaned @ 3 1/2 yrs  TTC 3 yrs got preg 4 months after HSG with DS 4yrs self-weaned at 3 1/2 yrs  Hope to have more little ones but have secondary infertility issues so we'll just have to see what the future brings Enjoying homeschooling and farming

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page