Most freeing thing you've decluttered? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 01-10-2010, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Speaking of high school yearbooks...

i can't get myself to get rid of mine. I want to... but it was just so fascinating leafing through my grandmother's. I don't know what I should do about that. *sigh*

Ugh. I hate stuff that comes with emotional baggage.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 43 Old 01-11-2010, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
The emotional guilt with donating and throwing things out.

That is my biggest. I think if I was still single and kept going down the path I was on I would have been an entire episode of hoarders.

It doesn't help that we have very generous family that doesn't listen when we say STOP.

And my most recent (thank goodness it hit at Christmas) was the adage I read on here all the time...

Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
or do without

I was pretty good at wearing stuff out Not bad at making stuff do... but I was having a hard time with doing without until the last couple years. and then I was buying cheap stuff to deal. But in the last couple years I have changed that.

So it was getting myself on board with the use it up part. I would get stuff like nice soap or bath stuff or clothes and instead of wearing them or actually using the bathstuff/soaps I would keep them for some "future" time and I realized that was just silly this year. Instead the few days after Christmas I just started opening everything and putting everything to use. Now I figure I can use it up until I wear it out and then out of the house it can go. I don't have to keep it forever and I can enjoy it and then move on. It is a great great feeling.

Even better is how quickly the house is getting and staying clean

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#33 of 43 Old 01-11-2010, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well DH is a movie whore He absolutely loves movies and therefore we literally had hundreds of DVD's and cases. About 2 yrs ago I ended up getting these disk holders that allow you to hold dvds/cds from discgear. They are awesome, we literally can store 120 discs in a box the size of a shoebox. we had several trash bags of those plastic cases that actually ended up being recycled by a garage band who needed them for their cd's...do we de cluttered and recycled We have so much more space now even though we have a ton of those boxes its not even a 5th of what space they took up plus it makes it a lot easier to find a movie
#34 of 43 Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 AM

I don't remember the particular item. But it had to be when I realized that every time my mom buys me something, I don't have to keep it for some arbitrary time. My mom buys me (mostly my kids now) a TON of stuff. Mostly discounted stuff she finds on sale...and it's always been a source of stress for me. She doesn't keep track of what she's given (so she never misses anything) and even says "If you don't want this, get rid of it" to me as she gives it but I still felt guilty getting rid of the stuff. She has a shopping problem, though, so the stuff was out of control.

So when I realized that my house didn't have to be a showcase of her issues, a constant reminder of how my mom struggles with what to do with herself everyday...it was incredibly freeing.

#35 of 43 Old 01-11-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymommy View Post
So it was getting myself on board with the use it up part. I would get stuff like nice soap or bath stuff or clothes and instead of wearing them or actually using the bathstuff/soaps I would keep them for some "future" time and I realized that was just silly this year. Instead the few days after Christmas I just started opening everything and putting everything to use. Now I figure I can use it up until I wear it out and then out of the house it can go. I don't have to keep it forever and I can enjoy it and then move on. It is a great great feeling.

Even better is how quickly the house is getting and staying clean
My mom does this. "saves" things. Summer before last, I found this awesome local honey that is sooooo delicious. She was staying at my house and she was really loving that honey (and I had other honey available for her to use, too), so I gave her half my jar. She still has it sitting at her house and uses other honey instead. One day I asked her why, and she said because it was so tasty she only wanted to use it on special occasions so it would last longer. I mean, I can understand this until you factor in the fact that it's so easy to get anytime! I told her "you know, mom, I can just get you more when you're done with it..." She still hasn't finished it, but at least she sometimes uses it now...

She does this with any "yummy" food gift that is pretty non-perishable (they ate the homemade cookies pretty quick, though ). I mean, we give her things she can "use up" because other things just sit around her house, too (and she doesn't use them) and has asked for things that she can "use up" but then they just live in her tiny and very cluttered kitchen instead

When I was pregnant with DD #1, my mom was living in a different house, but the house she lives in now was still owned as sort of a family summer home, and so I went through the kitchen (with permission). She had spices and herbs in there that were as old as I am... like, they seriously came from her grandmother when her grandmother died, and that was when I was a year old. It would have been fine, had she just, you know, been refilling them or something, but it was pretty clear she hadn't. They didn't smell like anything (I've never taken a whiff of a spice jar and not smelled *anything* before that!) and she had duplicates of all these spices. She also had some sauerbraten mixes from when she lived in germany... they came back 3 years before I was born. I don't know what she's waiting for...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

#36 of 43 Old 01-11-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post

We ended up finding a nice free one on the side of the road...THAT DIDN'T SMELL LIKE PEE!

#37 of 43 Old 01-11-2010, 11:16 AM

well, this past year I did a "dump all of it and move" maneuver, but before that the best thing I decluttered was the mess of cards and clippings and letters (I mean like 10 boxes worth) that were sentimental keeps. I still have one box full that I could still pilfer through, but in the back of my mind there was some reason I kept some of that (dead relatives, etc). I also love microwave and tv-free living. I also started removing things from the living area pretty quickly after I would realize they weren't doing it--toys, books, etc. Oh! That's another one--books. Like a couple thousand of them. and the bookshelves. I can't tell you how many years my greatest goal was nice bookshelves. I don't need those now. And grad school research and teaching files. Endless boxes. I kept a file on every course I ever took or taught--all the notes, research, etc. It was 20 file boxes. Gone. And I don't miss anything (except for the occasional lamp or chair or something--but not because I miss the one I got rid of). It makes me a bit sad to think of how much crap I've bought-new even-over the last many years, and what a waste it was.

SMC to dd 4/07.
#38 of 43 Old 01-11-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymomma View Post
Hi - I am new - but something I did recently was get rid of all the dvd cases and put the dvds into nice dvd holders. We had bags of plastic. It felt so good to get that space back. I love this thread.
i did that with cd's a couple years back. They are all now in a nice leather binder and a few smaller ones. We never really got into buying dvds as we've always rented from blockbuster/netflix to avoid the clutter, although ds gets about 3 or so a year and he has some hand me down vhs's but nothing too overwhelming luckily.

My most freeing thing i've decluttered: the nice bible on cd set i bought when i was in my religious kick. I just sold the thing for 15$ at a yardsale in the fall. It was barely used and i stupidly paid 80$ for it, but the guy that bought it seemed awefully excited to get it, so I hope it is getting used now.

ds's old high chair. again another full price 50$ purchase, and while i plan to have more kids, our home now has a small kitchen and this thing was annoying and big and bulky. sold that at the fall yardsale too.

I don't have many of my old college books, i always resold them back to the bookstore and about a year after i finished my b.a. i tried to sell the rest on amazon and only 2-3 didn't sell. I kept them i think, but not sure i may have gotten rid of 1-2 of them. I the only ones i actually kept to keep was the Spanish books and the MLA handbooks..

I did get my BA in english, but i rarely buy books these days, so my collection is almost frozen in time, and i occasionally get rid of 1-2, but since i don't buy more i don't really feel the need to get rid of them, kwim?

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#39 of 43 Old 01-11-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingletwitz View Post
It makes me a bit sad to think of how much crap I've bought-new even-over the last many years, and what a waste it was.
Yes, I can deeply relate to this. I do feel hope in that I allow very few new things into my life now as a result of seeing how pointless most of my possessions have been. Little by little I'm getting it: things do not give happiness.
#40 of 43 Old 01-11-2010, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My second husband.

Getting out of that relationship was very freeing on a number of levels. Plus there's the normal amount of "stuff to live with" that he took with him when he first moved out- his clothes and toiletries.

Besides that, he was a major pack-rat. He would literally find stuff on the curb that others were throwing out, and bring it home. We had way more than we had space for, plus he had a storage unit (that we couldnt' really afford to keep paying for) full of junk from before we got together.

DS was just about ready to start crawling, and the house was unsafe for him because of all the junk in the house, much of it with sharp edges or unstable as DS would try to pull himself up on it. After he moved out, I was afraid to get rid of any of his stuff in case he came back for it and caused legal trouble for me as a result. So, it took several months before I was even willing to tackle the pile of junk, and then it took several days (not in a row, so actually several weeks) to get rid of all of it.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#41 of 43 Old 01-11-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
She does this with any "yummy" food gift that is pretty non-perishable (they ate the homemade cookies pretty quick, though ). I mean, we give her things she can "use up" because other things just sit around her house, too (and she doesn't use them) and has asked for things that she can "use up" but then they just live in her tiny and very cluttered kitchen instead
Oh, the food hoarding really irks me! My MIL and Grandmother-IL's are terrible with that, especially with favors from bridal and baby showers.. they actually go inside of display cases for YEARS (sure, candy and cookies probably won't attract bugs, but geez, the favors were meant to be enjoyed orally, not visually.)
Same goes for other "disposable" gifts we try to give.. like personalized notepads and calendars.. people say "I don't want to use it up, it's so precious" even though they know we'll give more the next year.

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#42 of 43 Old 01-11-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Speaking of high school yearbooks...

i can't get myself to get rid of mine. I want to... but it was just so fascinating leafing through my grandmother's. I don't know what I should do about that. *sigh*

Ugh. I hate stuff that comes with emotional baggage.
Yearbooks are an issue for me too. I have hs and college as well as DHs hs ones. They take up an entire shelf.

When we were little, my cousins and I LOVED looking at the aunt's/uncle's old yearbooks. We did it all the time, never tired of it.

Quote:
My mom does this. "saves" things. Summer before last, I found this awesome local honey that is sooooo delicious. She was staying at my house and she was really loving that honey (and I had other honey available for her to use, too), so I gave her half my jar. She still has it sitting at her house and uses other honey instead. One day I asked her why, and she said because it was so tasty she only wanted to use it on special occasions so it would last longer. I mean, I can understand this until you factor in the fact that it's so easy to get anytime! I told her "you know, mom, I can just get you more when you're done with it..." She still hasn't finished it, but at least she sometimes uses it now...
I have one of those mothers too. My mom really likes handmade soaps.

A long time ago, I picked two bars from a local brewery, one for me and one for her. Last time I was at her house, I saw the bar displayed on her bathroom shelf. She says its too good to use......

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#43 of 43 Old 01-11-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
Yearbooks are an issue for me too. I have hs and college as well as DHs hs ones. They take up an entire shelf.

When we were little, my cousins and I LOVED looking at the aunt's/uncle's old yearbooks. We did it all the time, never tired of it.

I have one of those mothers too. My mom really likes handmade soaps.

A long time ago, I picked two bars from a local brewery, one for me and one for her. Last time I was at her house, I saw the bar displayed on her bathroom shelf. She says its too good to use......
Yeah, I'm considering getting her another thing of it, so she can just feel free to USE IT. And then when she's done with the first one, I'll get her a third so she can eat the second without "risk" She likes it! I want her to be able to enjoy it without feeling guilty. She has a serious guilt issue, pretty much exclusively self-imposed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page