Help HELP! I can't find my Fridge! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 01-08-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I KNOW we used to have a fridge around here! There *is* an area coated in papers, drawings, coupons, reminders, photocards and the like between the cupboards. I hope its there-or we just may have a boring lunch today.

What strategies to you employ to keep your fridge decluttered? I don't mind a few things, but wow-I'm feeling overwhelmed by the amount of stuff on it and yet I can't bear to take those sweet drawings down-and what else would I do with the photocards I just got-and where do I put those coupons?!?
#2 of 28 Old 01-08-2010, 03:02 PM

I'm in the same boat... I do a periodic cleaning and it always feels so good.

I look forward to suggestions.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#3 of 28 Old 01-08-2010, 03:30 PM

I have a dedicated children's art area in my house. That's where the masterpiece of the day is hung.
Then I have a magnetic basket for my fridge. Coupons, soup labels, etc go in there. (This photo shows scissors in theirs, that's not cool!)
For larger papers I have an 8 x 11 envelope that I magnet-ed on to the fridge. I slide things in there that I need to have at the ready but don't need to see all of the time.
I put the Fridge Phonics (every family with a preschooler should have one of these IMO!) on my dishwasher.
My battle zone is the top of my fridge. I tend to chuck things up there and really shouldn't!

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#4 of 28 Old 01-08-2010, 03:56 PM

The front of our fridge is mine. I have my monthly meal plan, ds1's school lunch menu, a picture ds1 drew that I treasure and a couple small pictures in the magnetic, plastic frames. The left side is empty because it's beside the stove and I don't want splashes on anything valuable. The right side is all for the kids. They have pictures, letter magnets, any other magnet they like. They can put anything up there but only on that side.

It works out well. I can use the front for things I need to see and also keep the kids pictures up as well.
#5 of 28 Old 01-08-2010, 04:33 PM

I have a pretty fabric/ribon covered cork board to pin stuff on, not that the fridge isn't used as well- but at least then I have a couple options.
#6 of 28 Old 01-08-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper75 View Post
My battle zone is the top of my fridge. I tend to chuck things up there and really shouldn't!
A 'top of the fridge' not sure that exists here.. there's that big catch-all space for whatever doesn't go anywhere else... but the fridge has a top?
#7 of 28 Old 01-08-2010, 04:41 PM

I try not to put anything on the front of the fridge -- well, besides a drawing or photo every once in a while. I just don't keep magnets on it, and that helps. One side of it, though, that faces the counter and isn't really visible, does have a few important papers like for field trips, reminders,etc. but I clean it off regularly.

My problem is various baskets full of papers and other crap. But at least it's all contained, and not all over my fridge, and I can shove it in a cupboard or take it to another room.

I just think a bare fridge makes the whole kitchen look nicer.

Do you have a cabinet near by that you can designate a spot for artwork/papers? It drives my DH nutty when I put papers in a cabinet, but I do it anyway.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#8 of 28 Old 01-08-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I just cleaned mine off yesterday. I was thinking I should try to leave it cleaned off but then I looked at it plain and thought "Wow, that looks so boring!" To each her own!

OP - Set your timer for 15 min and declutter your fridge front. I did that yesterday. You'll be surprised by how much stuff you can toss is on there.

For art, I am kind of ruthless about tossing it. I will check with the child most of the time. Could you leave one piece up and scan the rest then toss it?

I keep coupons in a small coupon organizer. I do have a little baggie on the fridge where I put boxtops because it is a visual reminder to me to cut them out and send them to school occasionally.

I also toss postcards after a while. I found one up there yesterday that was from somewhere in Ireland from my parents. I couldn't even remember my parents going to Ireland so I decided that it had been displayed long enough.
#9 of 28 Old 01-08-2010, 09:46 PM

I don't like anything on my fridge. I have a small galley style & it just completely clutters the space up. I do have one 4x6 picture on there of how the water adapter goes for my birthing tub though.

I do have a metal back door that I use as my collection gallery. I hang the month's menu, my son's school lunch menu, various art from my kids, etc. I clean it every other week.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#10 of 28 Old 01-08-2010, 11:55 PM

That's one thing our stainless steel fridge fixed - it's not magnetic so nothing can be stuck on it. LOL It looks so much better!
#11 of 28 Old 01-09-2010, 01:29 AM

Buy a stainless fridge, nothing sticks!
#12 of 28 Old 01-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpaca Wacka View Post
What strategies to you employ to keep your fridge decluttered? I don't mind a few things, but wow-I'm feeling overwhelmed by the amount of stuff on it and yet I can't bear to take those sweet drawings down-and what else would I do with the photocards I just got-and where do I put those coupons?!?
I don't hang pictures on my fridge anymore.

I went to ikea and bought a large photo frame that I liked and that I could fit on a wall in my kitchen, and I let DS fill it with a collage of whatever he likes that he has made recently. All his other special work is in a big box in the living room. It hasn't gotten full yet, but when it gets full, I will take it out and go through it and select the best of what is there to keep, and then get rid of the rest. DS knows that we keep his things in a box, and from time to time, he will ask me to change the picture on the wall, which I would do for him even if liked what's in it more than what he wanted to replace it with. It's his special space, and he can do what he likes with it.

I don't save coupons, but if I did, I would probably put them in an envelope and fasten them with a paperclip on a nail on a wall, next to my weekly shopping list (or a SINGLE, really heavy-duty magnet clip on the fridge that could hold the weight of this). (hmm... I think that was a brilliant idea, if I may say so. I might have to start collecting coupons and create a shopping list!).
#13 of 28 Old 01-09-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
what else would I do with the photocards I just got-and where do I put those coupons?!?
I don't save cards, but my mom does -- she hangs them over a rope. You could hang a rope anywhere where you have some free wall space. She makes it a feature of the room.
#14 of 28 Old 01-09-2010, 01:14 PM

I often use postcards as bookmarks till they start looking "ratty" (and then their life cycle is up).
Coupons aren't really an issue here but I used to have a little section in "the drawer" (the one we all have in our kitchens!) while we lived in the U. S.
Artwork: as we live in China and the rest of the family is in Germany I just started to pack some oeuvres in an envelope and sent it to my youngest child's godmother - more to follow.

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#15 of 28 Old 01-09-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircantu1 View Post
...except fingerprints, goey splatters, smudges, and water marks.

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
#16 of 28 Old 01-09-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
Isn't that the truth? I don't like stainless steel at all. I used to work in a lab with stainless steel countertops, incubators, etc. and they always looked awful.
#17 of 28 Old 01-09-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
ita. i keep the fridge door part clean and the sides of my fridge clear too (sometimes i'll clip a recipe i want to try to the side where it's out of sight). but i do have some really beautiful magnets and a couple small things artfully arranged on the freezer door. it looks peaceful and organized, but not planned, and definitely not cluttery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
exactly! i threatened my dh with divorce if he ever dared to bring any stainless steel appliances into my home. i will not spend an hour polishing them everyday. because i've had all s/s appliances, and that's what i had to do. everyday. it was a complete waste of many hours of my life. s/s appliances are for people who don't ever cook, have no kids, pets or messy people in their house or are OCD and need more things to clean!
#18 of 28 Old 01-09-2010, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ladies! I have almost finished kicking my fridge's @$$ and banishing the large share of our clutter from the kitchen and dining room!!!

I'm not sure when I've been so excited for the dryer to finish! Today, I planned out a three tiered wall pocket that will hang on the side of the cupboards near the fridge. I was inspired by some of the comments here and this post I ran across recently: http://brightandblithe.wordpress.com...ortertutorial/

Ours is quite a bit larger-running 36 x 20 inches. I used a yard of a really sumptious Amy Butler print. There are two rows with three roughly 6 inch wide pockets, designed to hold our: Mail, Bills, Receipts, Coupons, cash envelopes. At the base are two larger pockets about 9 inches wide each. These hold important papers we aren't quite ready to put away and school related stuff like the meal calendar, etc.

The whole is suspected on a hand rail rod which is screwed into the cabinet. I'm no real seamstress, but it still only took me about 3 hours from start to finish and I'm so excited to see it in place. I think this really might be the crucial thing we needed to tame the piles of papers around our home! I'll add a link to some pictures when I get it up!
#19 of 28 Old 01-09-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
That's one thing our stainless steel fridge fixed - it's not magnetic so nothing can be stuck on it. LOL It looks so much better!

I've thought about getting one of those for that very reason! LOL And it will also match our SS stove.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#20 of 28 Old 01-10-2010, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, its up! Here are photos! http://s607.photobucket.com/albums/t...Wall%20Pocket/

This answers my problem because it removes the bulk of what used to be on the fridge. I don't personally mind a few things on there-but I DO like to see what color it is, you know? I am SO tickled with how this turned out! The pattern matches the blue in my kitchen just so, and there are more than enough pockets for what we need. I suppose one might argue that the papers poking out of the pockets could be considered untidy looking-but it's so much better than stacks of paper all over the bar and stuck to the fridge!

For those of you considering how to accomplish this on your own, we sewed a loop into the top of the fabric to accomodate a short length of hand rail. Hand rail has a flat edge. That edge sits on top of the one and a half inch shelf supports (small "L" shaped brackets) we screwed into the cabinet. Currently, we have NOT screwed the hand rail down to the shelf supports-I suppose if it falls off, we will consider doing so, but for now I like it that its easily removable. I'd estimate the whole thing (even with expensive decorator fabric like this) cost us less than $20 to make.
#21 of 28 Old 01-10-2010, 03:01 AM

That is so adorable!

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#22 of 28 Old 01-10-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
That edge sits on top of the one and a half inch shelf supports (small "L" shaped brackets) we screwed into the cabinet. Currently, we have NOT screwed the hand rail down to the shelf supports-
WTG! I may have to steal this idea...

I too would be concerned about the falling down aspect (especially in my home, with little fingers and/or claws that would pull on it). If you still want to remove it easily, you could solve this problem by getting 2 more L brackets, 8 washers and 4 small nuts and bolts -- screw the second L bracket onto the first L bracket, and now you have a U shape... Still easy to take down, but won't fall from being pulled on or brushed up against!
#23 of 28 Old 01-10-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:

And peaceful, for me. I always keep mine bare too, and I put the wooden letter and number magnets on the unused dishwasher instead.

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#24 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 04:00 PM

Nothing on my fridge ever! It is actually a point of contention between my dh and I. I have places for kids art work and everything else.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

#25 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircantu1 View Post
Yeah, that! But, apparently, stuff will stick to a stainless dish washer! Where the crawling baby can reach it and repeatedly upset his sister by making her drawings fall down!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#26 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 05:08 PM

regarding your children's lovely art work .... purchase a digital picture frame -- take pictures of your childrens art work and then get rid of it or store it.

Leave your digital picture frame on all the time ---- and you can always enjoy their handywork :-)
#27 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 05:27 PM

We have a wood fridge - there is nothing magnetic in the kitchen! Which annoys me, I've thought several times of attaching metal sheets to the fridge so I can put things on it!

Loving my girl since Feb 2010! vax!
#28 of 28 Old 01-13-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
LOVE IT! Great work!!!

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page