Book rec to help kids declutter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-11-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD, age 7, has always been VERY resistant to decluttering her toys. She's the 1st granddaughter too so she has a TON of toys and books. I would do a stealth purge of the littlest, junkiest, goody bag kind of things from the "junk" drawer but I never had the nerve to do it with "real" toys.
I just got her a picture book called Too Many Toys written by David Shannon and it's a cute story about a boy who has too many things and his negotiation with his Mom about what stays and what goes. For some reason she really got into it. We had a box for things to keep for her little sister and a box for donation and she gave up a bunch of stuff. I was very impressed so thought I would let others know that I can recommend the book as maybe a good way to start the conversation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 PM

Ds loved to listen to FLYlady! I think the book was her original (Sink Reflections). I checked it out from the library and would just open to different chapters and read out loud to him. He requested that book daily for a few weeks and wanted to have conversations about things like, "Mama, why can't you clean clutter?" He also adopted her language about sending items that we don't use to "Bless someone else's home."

We did this in December and he did a great job of willing letting go of (purging) a bunch of toys from the playroom to bless others. This was at the same time that Dh and I were trying to model letting go of things as well. Of all the things we sent out, he only misses one set of toys. I considered stopping him from giving those away, but didn't want to dampen his spirit or have him feel like I was second-guessing him. So, now we talking about the fact that since he really does miss those, we can look to reacquire some for him (a set of tools).

ETA: The Berenstien Bear's also have a book on "Too Many Toys" and one about having the "Gimmies." It drives me nuts that Papa bear is portrayed as such a dunce, but those are the two kids books that came to mind.
#3 of 3 Old 01-14-2010, 05:43 PM

On flyladys website there is a section especially for kids.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page