Help me throw away junk! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having a horrible time getting rid of junk. The stuff that's ok for the thrift store is easy- I like donating and giving stuff away.
It's the stuff that's junky that I'm having a really hard time with. Like kids' sweatpants with holes in the knees (though I finally did take the plunge and throw that out the other day, after months of them sitting in my bedroom). Kids' clothes that just really aren't very nice- quite faded, with holes, etc.
I'm not super picky about kids' clothes, but this is stuff that I wouldn't want to put on my kids, even though I already have it and it's free.
There's other stuff too (can't think of anything, but I know I run into this all the time).

It just feels wasteful to throw anything away! But I know it's not good to give it to the thrift store, where it will waste someone else's time sorting through it and determining that it's junk and tossing it anyway. So it just sits in my house, cluttering it up.

Help inspire me to throw it away!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 02:53 PM

I have a hard time throwing clothes away, too. It's almost painful to put them in the trash. But if they can't be used as old rags and they can't be donated I toss em. My Motto: Just do it!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:59 PM

For me, allowing myself to let go of junk is a matter of self respect. I respect the thrift shops enough not to pass the buck to them, and I respect my own time, energy and space enough not to gunk it up with useless things. I've often found that the emotion that keeps junk in my house is fear--I'm afraid to let it go lest I be "wasteful". But looking deeper into that fear, I discover that holding on to the useless items is actually the most wasteful thing I could do because it sucks up my precious time, energy, and space.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:14 PM

This is a problem of mine too.

A couple of ideas:
-Freecycle the bag of clothes as rags
-Find places where they are looking for clean recycled stuffing for toys or furnishings and donate there

âAdvertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy stuff we don't need.â
Old 01-15-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Definitely motivating me so far! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treespeak View Post
For me, allowing myself to let go of junk is a matter of self respect. I respect the thrift shops enough not to pass the buck to them, and I respect my own time, energy and space enough not to gunk it up with useless things. I've often found that the emotion that keeps junk in my house is fear--I'm afraid to let it go lest I be "wasteful". But looking deeper into that fear, I discover that holding on to the useless items is actually the most wasteful thing I could do because it sucks up my precious time, energy, and space.
This is so so true. Thanks for putting it into words so well- it's very helpful

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Old 01-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Banned

see if an independent recycling center near you does fiber recycling. this is a great place to send old clothes and other things that would go to land fill. they process it and sell it and it's then created into new fiber fill for various things (insulation, stuffed toys, etc).

the Pottstown PA recycling center has one. they accept clean clothes, drapes, etc in bags to be made into new cloth and what not.

i think they used to do fiber from stuffed animals, too, but i didn't see that in there. they recycle *everything* though, so i try to make a trip there once a month to get everything out.

it's a great place. i hate not recycling plastics!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My biggest problem here is just a lack of places to donate anything, even decent stuff.

A year or so ago I read on another thread someone talking about not throwing things in the garbage because she didn't want to contribute to the landfill problems. She then realized that she was creating a landfill in her home. That idea really struck a chord with me because I was doing the same thing. I didn't throw things in the garbage because I didn't want to be wasteful. Instead, I made my basement into a semi-landfill. My mantra now when getting rid of junk/clutter is "My House Is Not A Landfill". It has done wonders for me.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 5 wonderful kiddos.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i have a similar problem - except it's usually things that I *plan* to mend, but then I hardly ever get around to it... we have a quilt I got from Kmart 5 years ago that is falling apart all over the place - a bunch of the quilt-seams have torn. - i'm not sure it's really mend-able, but it's sitting in my bedroom waiting to be mended...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:50 PM

This is always a tough one for me. I donate things 1-2 times a month, and I recycle everything I can (not much in my town), reuse/repurpose, etc. ---- but there's always a point where I cannot do a thing with an item except decide whether it stays in my house or goes to the landfill.

The landfill is a tough one for me, and we don't have trash pick-up...we actually have to take our trash to the landfill and dump it into the truck to go and get buried, so it really hits home when you do that.

I have to tell myself that "(This item) is trash, and it is going to take up space on the earth, no matter what. Should it take up that space in my home?" If the answer is no, then it goes to the landfill.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
Old 01-16-2010, 02:11 AM

i'm just finishing reading "Clutter Busting" which i heartily recommend. one idea i got from the book is that YOU are sacred. the things are not. another idea to think about is that your heart of hearts always knows the right thing to do... and it's the first idea that pops into your mind when you see the thing. if the first inclination is "toss it," that is the correct answer.

take the PP's suggestion to just part with the junk.

as for the PP who mentioned a quilt from Kmart that is falling apart... might i suggest that you just donate it to the local animal shelter. the same can be done for old sheets with holes in them, as well as towels that are worn thin. blankets that have stains or otherwise seen better days, as well. oh, and old pillows too. the animals don't care about stains and holes, they just would rather sit on something soft vs. concrete, while they wait for a home.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:44 PM

There is a clothing bin near me that takes clothes/linens no matter what condition. Clothes that are too crummy to be worn get recycled so that's where I dump our stained clothes.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

Old 01-16-2010, 02:40 PM

our town takes rags and old clothes in the green recycle bin (for paper). it's where i put hole-y socks and things that are not fit to donate

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

User Tag List