What do I do with all this 'sellable' stuff? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I have tried to declutter, but it has just turned into moving clutter. We have 2 rooms in the house that collect it because we don't use them often enough to bother us.

Books-DH the book hoarder agreed to get rid of books, but he said he wanted to sell them. Its been 9 months and now I just want to get rid of them. What do I do?

Old cellphones-treos, maybe could get a few dollars on craiglist, but DH also has not taken on the task. I have tried a couple of times, but I cannot find the disks that go with them, or the chargers, they are buried in all the junk.

Toys-I feel like I constantly edit the toys. OUr newest baby is 8 months old and we have so many toys for her 'age'. How many toys does she need out at once? We have piles in every room of the house!

Lego Boxes-Dh keeps buying new lego sets for 4 YO DS. yes, they are a great 'learning' tool, but we have soooo many sets. He has kept all the boxes. They are currently in the guest room. Soon there will be no room in the closet for a guest to hang clothes.

Diapers-We CD now and have a few leftover diapers from our first kid. Do I keep them around just in case? So far we have not used any sposies since we started CDing. But IF we traveled I might use sposies.

I feel so overwhelmed with having 2 young ones and working. (DH is mostly the SAHD) The clutter really gets to me. There is crap all over our counters all the time. We manage to put toys away every night, but the baby toys are all over the place. The clutter does not bother DH.

We create our own reality.
#2 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 12:53 AM

garage sale? Craigslist? Ebay? And freecycle the rest? Good Luck!!

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#3 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 01:02 AM

you can sell your books on half.com. set a reasonably low price, and you will sell some of them. give yourself a time frame, that if they don't sell in six months, you donate them to the library for their annual book sale (and get a receipt for your tax deduction -- which can be seen as "making a little money back" on the books). but in the end, isn't the real value in using your home to live in, rather than to store stuff in?

#4 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 02:26 AM

Are there any Ebay sellers in your area that will sell for you and take a commission?

I've heard that you can't save disposable diapers for the next kid- that they only last so long, but I have no idea if it's true.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#5 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 02:35 AM

Books can be sold at a used book store.

Cell phones can be sold "as is."

Toys I would donate to Goodwill.

Lego boxes would be trash, IMO.

Diapers I would trash or give to a friend who would use them.
#6 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy Kaby View Post
Books-DH the book hoarder agreed to get rid of books, but he said he wanted to sell them. Its been 9 months and now I just want to get rid of them. What do I do?

Old cellphones-treos, maybe could get a few dollars on craiglist, but DH also has not taken on the task. I have tried a couple of times, but I cannot find the disks that go with them, or the chargers, they are buried in all the junk.
Do yourself a favor and drive them to the library. I also had this vision of selling all our old books. Well, they sat there for four years, and then I had a baby and there was no way I could take the time to sell them. I wouldnt make much and my time is for my baby. We dropped them all off to the library, totally filling all their outside bins and honestly, I havent even thought of them once since we did it.

I know there are charities that take old phones so they can give them to abused women, etc. That will make you feel good! As far as I know, they dont care about all the stuff that goes with them.
#7 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Banned

i agree with the others. it's always an option to find a group garage sale too. for example, my MIL's church has a huge neighborhood/church wide tag sale twice a year. the winter one is tough to get into--people compete for tables in the meeting rooms of the church. it is *wild*.

anyway, we found that our local UCC had one, and so they hooked us up. we didn't even have to sit at the table. they would take 1/3 as a charitable contribution to watch it for us. how sweet is THAT?

and then, anything that doesn't sell, they would donate to charity for us--also sweet.

we were lucky that we got both into this and into one at MIL's church---one early summer, one fall. it was perfect!
#8 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
DH and I have tried to declutter, but it has just turned into moving clutter. We have 2 rooms in the house that collect it because we don't use them often enough to bother us.

Ask your library if they or the friends group accepts donations. If they do - great! doanting is good karma. For the most part, I do not think the hassle and procrastination involved in selling books is worth the money you get for them (which will be small). The exception might be University or Homeschool textbooks -but otherwise? Nah.

A. throw them out
B. give yourself a deadline to find the stuff that goes with the cell phone (say, tomorrow) and if they are not found throw them out. Is the money you are going top make worth the hassle of finding all the parts, lisiting, and dealing with a buyer?

Toys-I feel like I constantly edit the toys. OUr newest baby is 8 months old and we have so many toys for her 'age'. How many toys does she need out at once? We have piles in every room of the house!

I probably would not want to throw out toys she currently uses. If she does not use them - donate them.

Lego Boxes-Dh keeps buying new lego sets for 4 YO DS. yes, they are a great 'learning' tool, but we have soooo many sets. He has kept all the boxes. They are currently in the guest room. Soon there will be no room in the closet for a guest to hang clothes.

OOOhhhhhh. Dump the peices into a box. If you can get a box with a grid in it for storing different pieces - great! Tht is The 4 YO job, btw, to sort pieces if he desires. Get rid of the boxes!!!!! A lego table is very cool if you can swing it. There will be less lego all over the place and it will help the builders.

Diapers-We CD now and have a few leftover diapers from our first kid. Do I keep them around just in case? So far we have not used any sposies since we started CDing. But IF we traveled I might use sposies.

I would keep a few. You never know.
If you end up with a lot to donate - I would pick one catch-all store that takes everything a bring it there. Some organisations will even pick up. If DH does not care, you will end up being the project manager on this. I am sure it makes you feel resentful (it made me resentful for years) but eventually I decided if I wanted to live in a nice house, I was going to have to be the one to make it so.
#9 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 12:59 PM

Give yourself short deadlines: If x is not sold by garbage day or by the weekend, out it goes.

I sometime would rather sell something than donate it but knowing myself, it would just sit there forever so having a deadline soon gives me a time frame to get it done (or think about getting it done), then out of my life it goes.
#10 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 01:09 PM

http://ultimatemoneyblog.com/ebay-cr...st-or-goodwill

I read this guide and there's some good info here. I personally figure if it's not worth selling for $5 or more, I donate it. It's not worth the stress of selling it!

J, mom to my baby girl born January 22, 2012!  babygirl.gif

#11 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 02:18 PM

Honestly? I don't try to sell it....otherwise I'd end up with a house full of crap that I haven't yet sold.

I just give it away, consider it good karma and hope that I won't get myself back into the mess again.

I always figure my donating "good" items that could be sold will come back to me somehow one day...perhaps in the form of an awesome thrift store find

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#12 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Just say, very mater-of-factly: Look. You said that you were going to sell this stuff -- have you done any work towards that goal?

Ask him to give you a timeline -- when will he have it gone by? Tell him that you aren't prepared to live with all of this junk lying around forever. Agree with him on a time that you both can live with, and agree about what will happen when he misses the deadline. Set specific goals, and specific consequences for when the goals are not met (like, if it's not all gone in 3 months, it's going to the salvation army) or whatever.
#13 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 03:17 PM

You're not going to get much sympathy from me when it comes to selling.

Books - Donate, without a doubt. Selling is great, you feel you got a return on your 'investment' but you know what else is better? You've just sent off a free or low cost library to your community. How cool is that? Someone out there will be very thankful indeed. (BTW, your DH sounds like mine)

Cell phones - Screw the small parts you can't find. Send the cell phone as is to a phone recycling plant.

Lego boxes - Recycling bin! NOW!

(We love Lego over here too and the boxes always go to recycling bin after opening)

Toys - Donate for sure! Do you have a children's hospital where you are? I know children's hospitals love toy donations as the kids tend to get bored with the same old stuff occupying 100% of their time day in day out. We are sending off 8 bags of toys tomorrow! It will definitely make some kiddos over there smile!

Diapers - One or two extra diapers? That's okay to keep on the side. I would keep them in just in case.

You can do it mama!

âAdvertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy stuff we don't need.â
#14 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 03:22 PM

Donate it to a thrift store, get a receipt, and claim it on your taxes next year.

We have a few places around that accept old cell phone donations.Z
#15 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 04:16 PM

Unless you are cash strapped, just let it go. You will not regret it! I mean all of it. What is more important, a little $ or your home as a sanctuary for you? Pack up the books this weekend and then drive them to a donation location. Go through the toys and keep the good ones. Get rid of anything missing pieces, broken, or that is just a duplicate or lame toy! I did all of this recently, and now I need to do it with clothes. It was an eye opener for me, but I didn't keep anything to sell, I just donated.
#16 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 04:16 PM

you can find cell phone recycling boxes at the post office, library, places like Best Buy or any place that sells cell phones.. they typically try to reclaim them and use for emergency phones for those in need, or else they are recycled. If you still kept the box it came in, cell phone boxes now come with a bag to mail in your old phone for reuse.
Don't waste your time selling stuff- all the time and effort, along with the excess time that the items spend in your house is not worth it. Think of the minimal financial profit when all is said and done- your time is worth more than that, I bet.

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#17 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for telling me to just DONATE IT! I know it will feel so good to get it out! I did give away a few books to friends today .

We create our own reality.
#18 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 07:19 PM

I think donating is the way to go too. I had a garage sale this summer that was a lot of work and I made a whopping $75. I donated it to the 6th grade field trip fund so I guess in that sense, it was worth it, but it was a huge pain! I had a lot left over, which I then had to rebox and then it sat in my basement for a few months. I finally got a flyer from Volunteers of America or somewhere saying they were sending a truck around to pick up stuff on X date. That was finally enough motivation for me to get it out of my house.

I need to set myself a deadline for getting rid of a bunch of books I have. I could sell them but I am too lazy to (obviously!)
#19 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 08:26 PM

http://www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com/

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#20 of 34 Old 01-17-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
Books can be sold at a used book store.

Cell phones can be sold "as is."

Toys I would donate to Goodwill.

Lego boxes would be trash, IMO.

Diapers I would trash or give to a friend who would use them.
when/if you find the chargers, you can sell those separately

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#21 of 34 Old 01-17-2010, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post
This is what we did with ours. I wanna say we got an envelope in an amazon order randomly.

there's a charity that sends books to africa, too... I know at my local university they collect books to send...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#22 of 34 Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
This is what we did with ours. I wanna say we got an envelope in an amazon order randomly.

there's a charity that sends books to africa, too... I know at my local university they collect books to send...

I had no idea...I would have donated a bunch of books I decluttered recently. I ended up giving them to the library.

OP: I used to hang on to stuff to sell - I was even financially strapped, so the $$ would have been great. The reality is that I'll most likely never get around to it. If there is a used book store locally you could box up everything and take it over, what doesn't sell immediately take somewhere else to donate (library?). Either recycle or donate the cell phones. Is it worth all the trouble of selling them for a few dollars? Go through the baby toys and keep the really nice ones or the ones your DD loves. I used to work at a toy store and had baby toys out the wazoo. I have it down to one rubbermaid bin, and I'll most likely get rid of about half when I drag the bin back out for the new babe. There are lots of places that would take toys - churches, preschools, daycares, hospitals. Recycle the lego boxes. If they are sitting in a closet, obviously they aren't being used. If it's a huge issue...cut out a picture from each box and put it in a page protector in a binder (not sure if that is a workable idea...we don't do lego yet). The diapers? You can always buy more diapers if need be, give them to a someone who can use them. It's better than having the take up space for 'what ifs'.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#23 of 34 Old 01-17-2010, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyMomma View Post
I had no idea...I would have donated a bunch of books I decluttered recently. I ended up giving them to the library.
Well, they were 4 years ago or so when I graduated. I think it's a group of african grad students that are working with "books for africa" or something? They don't take all kinds of books (like, probably wouldn't take "the south beach diet") but they do take a lot...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#24 of 34 Old 01-18-2010, 03:21 PM

I just purged a bunch of books on www.paperbackswap.com So easy, and I feel like I still get something out of it vs listing for sale.

Kim, wife to my best friend and high school sweetheart. :
Mom to DD1 (2/06) : and DD2 (6/09) :
#25 of 34 Old 01-18-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Honestly? I don't try to sell it....otherwise I'd end up with a house full of crap that I haven't yet sold.

I just give it away, consider it good karma and hope that I won't get myself back into the mess again.

I always figure my donating "good" items that could be sold will come back to me somehow one day...perhaps in the form of an awesome thrift store find
I've learned that I need to do the same. It feels so much better to just be rid of it and move right along. Sometimes it's painful, but I certainly make wiser purchases these days. The space and clarity that I have been getting by simply getting rid of (either just putting it out at the curb or freecycle or whatever) makes it SO worth it to me.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#26 of 34 Old 01-18-2010, 04:30 PM

I've been finally selling a pile of books on Amazon, it's super easy!

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#27 of 34 Old 01-18-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post
I've been finally selling a pile of books on Amazon, it's super easy!
How is that working for you? I'm trying to figure it out. Is it similar to ebay?

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#28 of 34 Old 01-19-2010, 02:33 AM

When it comes to a certain point, you have to make a rule that these will be sold by X day or they have to GO! My mom and I are selling books on Amazon right now and I am thrilled with our earnings so far. We have made a few hundred over the past two weeks, mostly because of my mom's mental health- related books for clinical practitioners. But for fiction that is widely available, it is rarely worth it. We have a pretty good system going on, I would be willing to share details if anyone wants. (I wonder what forum that would belong in, if I started a thread?) It isn't hard, but they don't exactly spell out for you how to make the most efficient use of the site.

About other things that need to go, I'd say the same thing- set a time limit for what is really worth listing, but when it comes down to it a lot of it will need to be let go. (Possibly all of it if it's been long enough and the selling just never happens.) ETA: Keep in mind that you have to let go control of the outcome: if you put the stuff up on Craigslist and there is just no demand in your area, go for a tax-deductible donation and karma points. As you well know, it doesn't benefit you to have the stuff laying around. Good luck
#29 of 34 Old 01-19-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaDoula View Post
How is that working for you? I'm trying to figure it out. Is it similar to ebay?

It's been going quite well, I listed around 40 books to start (yes, I've been setting them aside for a few years now ) and have sold 10 in the first 1.5wks.

It's a LOT easier than ebay, mostly because they take care of all the billing. All you have to do is ship the book out, they even provide the packing slip and address label. You have to watch the selling prices though, you'll make the most money off of what Amazon gives you for shipping so be sure that your shipping costs are covered - anything else is gravy.

I should also add that since I'm in Canada, I can pretty much only list books, but I believe in the US you can list other items.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#30 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 09:30 PM

are the books textbooks? if they are, they may make a good amount of extra cash on amazon...

old cellphones, try swagbucks.com or recyclebank.com

toys, if they are not great quality and the kids don't use them, give them away or try cl or yardsale.

If i were you i would try to have a yardsale for most the stuff and what ever doesn't sell, donate and get a little tax write off??

I'm wishing it was nicer here so i could just do that, but gotta wait for spring!

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page