Organizing the minivan, help needed - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-17-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I drive a Honda Odyssey, with 4 kids in it. All of them are in car seats. They are ages 6, 3, 1, 1. My house is very organized and I like it that way, but the van is killing me.

Here are my problems. My two oldest are in the far back. I need them to be able to get to the things they want on their own (books, toys, etc) But since they are in carseats, they can't be stored in the pockets in the seats in front of them. They can't be stored between the seats, because it is too far down for them to reach. My oldest can reach stuff on the side near her window, but my 3 year old can't. Any ideas for making things reachable for them.

The trunk is awesome, but it is so deep and wide it is like a cavern. I have my cloth grocery bags, double stroller, little potty, extra diapers, sling back there. I feel like it all gets jumbled all teh time.

I'd love some sort of bins or something that could hold just car toys. But still let the kids walk easily on the floor.

How do you organize your van?
#2 of 6 Old 01-17-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkm2e View Post
I drive a Honda Odyssey, with 4 kids in it. All of them are in car seats. They are ages 6, 3, 1, 1. My house is very organized and I like it that way, but the van is killing me.

Here are my problems. My two oldest are in the far back. I need them to be able to get to the things they want on their own (books, toys, etc) But since they are in carseats, they can't be stored in the pockets in the seats in front of them. They can't be stored between the seats, because it is too far down for them to reach. My oldest can reach stuff on the side near her window, but my 3 year old can't. Any ideas for making things reachable for them.

The trunk is awesome, but it is so deep and wide it is like a cavern. I have my cloth grocery bags, double stroller, little potty, extra diapers, sling back there. I feel like it all gets jumbled all teh time.

I'd love some sort of bins or something that could hold just car toys. But still let the kids walk easily on the floor.

How do you organize your van?
I have a trunk organizer I got at Target for around $20 in the trunk of my van. It holds my grocery bags, a few diaper changes, misc car supplies (some oil, fix a flat), a first aid kit and a blanket. http://www.target.com/Expandable-Car...rgo%20Carryall It's kind of like this one. I like that I can pick the whole thing up and put it in another vehicle if I want.

I don't keep my stroller in the van usually (it's a mac, so it's easy to bring inside)

My older two are in booster seats - I've been thinking about getting a toy bin that is secured between them with the seat belt, but for now I encourage them to bring everything inside with them. The only things that stay in the car are some smaller blankets (they like to have blankets on in the car, it's cold out!). Something like this might work http://www.target.com/sunshine-kids-...0Kids%20Travel

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#3 of 6 Old 01-17-2010, 10:14 PM

I would definitely keep the stuff in the car to a minimum. In case of an accident everything that's loose will become a projectile and can really injure the kids. Maybe have them choose a "car toy" when you leave the house or something?

I'd get a couple of bins for the trunk area for the same reason.
#4 of 6 Old 01-17-2010, 10:20 PM

i have an 11, 9, 5, 3, and 10m old in a windstar s i can relate!! i really only let the older ones bring a book and the 5 and 3yr olds sometimes pick a small action figure or two.... that's about it. oh and they bring it to the car then they bring it back into the house

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#5 of 6 Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 PM

A trunk organizer if you have extra room, or those organizers that can be attached to the back of the seats.

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#6 of 6 Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM

We don't keep toys in the car. Anything the kids bring into the car with them, they bring out when they exit. It keeps it clean.

I keep a laundry basket in the back of my van to keep things organized.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page