No cabinets in bathroom: how do you store your rubba swisha? other bathroom cleaners in a toddler's home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-19-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am liking the supplies from flylady, but I can't figure out a good solution for where to put the just-used toilet brush with the little thingy for the rim. I want something that at least has the illusion of being toddler proof.

There are no lockable cabinets in the bathroom.

Right now, I rinse it off in the not-yet-scrubbed bathtub drain, then wrap it in a clean rag and store it in a top pocket of an over the door shoe organizer on the back of the bathroom door.

This is fine, but it obligates me to scrub the tub and I don't always have time for both. On the other hand, the other pockets are convenient for rags and other cleaning supplies that need to be up high, so perhaps I am trying to improve on a system that is as good as it gets?

We don't use any products that would harm our 2 year old but nor do we want him dumping vinegar and baking soda all over the place.

Thanks in advance!

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-19-2010, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
We don't have cabinets or a linen closet, so we have a shelving unit over the toilet that we got from freecycle. The lower shelves (where 2yo DS can reach if he stands on the toilet) just have towels. The top shelf has baking soda, vinegar, toilet cleaner, the plunger, and the toilet brush with it's dish so it doesn't drip down onto the towels. It isn't ideal, but my biggest complaint is that the shelves are made of metal wire and not very sturdy. Of course, that could be easily fixed with some plexiglass or paneling.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#3 of 5 Old 01-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Banned

before i kept it in the bathroom, i would keep all cleaning supplies in the laundry room on a shelf above the washer. they would be in a bin--cleansers, gloves, brushes, rags.

on cleaning days, i would go up and clean the whole bathroom (2x wk in summer, 1x in winter, any day it seemed dirty). this worked for me. still does honestly.
#4 of 5 Old 01-19-2010, 03:38 PM

I store all my cleaning supplies, including bathroom ones, under the kitchen sink that is locked. And I keep the toilet brush in our ensuite with the door closed so little hands don't touch it!

I also rinse my toilet brush in the bathtub so I wash the tub! It's great incentive.

belly.gifMama to a Little Scientist (09/08) and our Ray of Sunshine (05/11).
#5 of 5 Old 01-19-2010, 03:50 PM

I have a holder for my toilet brush. Neither of my children have ever touched it.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page