anyone had success with the S.H.E. 3x5's? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm reading Sidetracked Home Executives and was wondering if I should try this or try again on the 3 ring binder I tried (not super successful for me at least).

Somehow having a small recipe box in the kitchen with nice colorful cards seems like it would work better for me, but on the other hand I'm nervous that I may just be wanting to buy more clutter and get sidetracked trying to complete the project. I'm not THAT bad any more but I especially need some help with those more 'irregular' chores like cleaning out the oven, dryer vent, taking a toothbrush to the window edges etc..

so if you've tried this method will you tell me how it worked for you?

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 01:44 AM

Honestly, I tried...but I kept getting confused. And then I'd miss a day or two and it all went to heck in a handbasket!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

hmmm, so far not good.

Do you by chance have success with a home binder?

Old 01-22-2010, 05:50 AM

You may want to read their second book. Well, there might have been others in between, but at least it was a later book. I think it's Get Your Act Together In this one, they talk about how they later realized that the first book's card system was more complex than it needed to be, and they give a simpler plan. (Of course, it looks like the SHE book has been revised, so it might be different now. I think the simplest way to tell the difference between the two card systems is how many tasks are on a card. If it's only one task, then I think it's the original system. If cards have groups of multiple tasks, then I think it's the second system.)

I haven't successfully implemented either, but I find the second one to seem more doable and less likely to lead to my spending weeks perfecting the cards without making any progress on the house.

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
Old 01-22-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortelliniMama View Post
You may want to read their second book. Well, there might have been others in between, but at least it was a later book. I think it's Get Your Act Together In this one, they talk about how they later realized that the first book's card system was more complex than it needed to be, and they give a simpler plan. (Of course, it looks like the SHE book has been revised, so it might be different now. I think the simplest way to tell the difference between the two card systems is how many tasks are on a card. If it's only one task, then I think it's the original system. If cards have groups of multiple tasks, then I think it's the second system.)

I haven't successfully implemented either, but I find the second one to seem more doable and less likely to lead to my spending weeks perfecting the cards without making any progress on the house.
I'm glad you're with me on this one I can see myself getting heads over heels into this new 'project' or 'system' and follow it like an apt pupil for oh a month or two before I get burned out and ignore them just like I do my home notebook.

Thanks for the suggestion on the later book. I hope my library has that one as well FWIW I'm reading the revised version and it still looks rather 'complicated' with one task/card etc.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:42 PM

A lot of people don't know that FlyLady and her control journal (home management binder) are an authorized interpreation of the SHE card system!

You might check out FlyLady. She's revamped some things - the emails are much fewer than they used to be. An email is sent out the evening before with everything for the next day. I might get five emails a day, but most are testimonial type things or her motivational essays, etc. Nothing like every few hours with whatever you were supposed to be doing then.

I find the binder with a list of tasks easier than the cards. I tried the cards. Didn't work for me either.

lady.gif
Old 01-23-2010, 12:40 PM

I have not read the other replies.

For me, I did make the cards years ago~ I spent hours on them~
and never used them...not even enough to balance out the time I spent making them.

So for me, I was excited when I read the book, everything sounded great, but it totally failed for me.

I know Flylady was inspired by them and I was somewhat more successful following her program but the emails got to be too much and I stopped doing that too.

What has worked best for me, is to declutter because then housework is so easy....when you can find the floor you can clean it lol but the same with countertops and beds and closing drawers etc

I am far from "there" (snd it is an ongoing process so you are never truly done) but each and every time I declutter it makes a tremendous difference and not only far easier to clean but it is more inspiring to clean because everything looks so much nicer

So that is my experience
Good luck!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineafterrain View Post

I know Flylady was inspired by them and I was somewhat more successful following her program but the emails got to be too much and I stopped doing that too.
Did you see the part of my note where I said that the number of emails have GREATLY reduced? Instead of all the "you need to be doing X" emails throughout the day, there is one the night before with everything for the following day. There might be 4-5 others, but they're more the inspirational stuff. You can ditch those easily if you need to.

lady.gif
Old 01-23-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Ive decided I'm actually going to try and 're-do' my control journal. I saw a list of goals I had in there and I haven't really payed much attention to my CJ since I was pg with my second nearly three years ago.

Since I feel that the S.H.E. cards might just be extra time and expense I must be listening to myself somewhere, right?

Thanks for the input ladies.

The way the FLYlady emails were over the top before (I've probably subbed and unsubbed 4x) seems to have given me 'permission' to just ignore and click delete. It was beyond annoying. I hadn't even noticed that they are now once a day until you said something because I was so accustomed to them being just over the top! I will TRY to follow the flight plan now.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:32 AM

I had unsubscribed to the FlyLady because of all the emails before. I saw this the other day, and I decided to give it another go. I set it up so it's all one email the night before now. I can handle that. Thanks for the heads up
Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 PM

you've also inspired me to give flylady another go.... I too found the emails annoying and that it was much easier to hit delete than do anything with them, consequently I got NOTHING done!

Here's hoping!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010

User Tag List