Do you like those wooden signs that say "Family," "Love," "Home?" - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like some of them, but don't have any.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#32 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 11:50 PM

I just can't stand the "live, laugh, love" ones.. that phrase just really irks me.

On a funny note, my mom has one of these signs cluttering up a shelf in her house that says "simplify".. even more funny if you know my mom, who's a bit of a hoarder and a compulsive shopper and knickknack collector. I honestly don't think it's there for motivational purposes...

Katie,  sahm to two wild and crazy guys banana.gif (8/07) and  bouncy.gif (3/10) and their sweet new baby sister baby.gif (4-1-13) 

#33 of 47 Old 01-26-2010, 01:14 AM

I hate them. In a bizarre move, DH brought one home one day. It says something like "Our story begins at home" or some other charming saying. BUT, we had just moved into the house, and it turns out that it kind of fits, and the kids love it. It's sitting on my piano.
#34 of 47 Old 01-26-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Anyway, on a different note, one of the wooden signs said "Laundry," one said "Kitchen," and one said "Bathroom." -Why would I need a sign to remind myself I was in the laundry room, kitchen or god forbid the bathroom? Maybe if I blacked out and found myself sitting on the toilet the sign would be helpful, but seriously. Daytripper's sign says "Happily ever after," which is totally cute, but my sign says "Bathroom."

That's hilarious!
#35 of 47 Old 01-26-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post
I'm not a fan; think they're kinda cheesy.

the only worded signs i personally care for say "No Shoes Allowed" or "Please Remove Shoes Before Entering"!
#36 of 47 Old 01-26-2010, 02:09 AM

I sort of like them, we have one in our bedroom that says DREAM.

Katherine, SAHM to 2 little princes
#37 of 47 Old 01-26-2010, 02:26 AM

I don't mind them in other people's houses or offices. But they're too cheesy for my own home.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#38 of 47 Old 01-26-2010, 03:08 AM

They aren't really my cup of tea. I'd see if I could find someone who would really like them though.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#39 of 47 Old 01-26-2010, 07:44 AM

Well, I do have one of these signs up in my kitchen, it is part of a photo collage. I bought the sign a few years ago when they were really popular, and now it is just a part of the collage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...y/DSCF8261.jpg

ITA if you don't love it you shouldn't have it on your walls!

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#40 of 47 Old 01-26-2010, 12:42 PM

TreeHugger, that looks really nice!

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#41 of 47 Old 01-26-2010, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
My SIL's sister has given us two for my daughter. One says, "Baby Sleeping" on blue backing and I think it has a moon on it. It was in keeping with the moon and stars nursery theme and now it hangs on the doll's cradle. And she gave us another. I can't even remember what it says . . . oh, yes, "Cutie Patootie"! That just might get thrifted. It's in the play room right now. While they are cute, I would not have purchased either of these. I am not a chotkie, trinket, items on the shelf kind of person. I see all of these as things to collect dust and to have to wipe dust off of. I'm not a big duster.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#42 of 47 Old 01-26-2010, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Not a fan. I'm pretty minimalist when it comes to decor... not because I'm into minimalism, but because I'm so fussy there's nothing I love enough to put up! I have vague, grandiose plans to make awesome wall quilts one day, though...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#43 of 47 Old 01-27-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver's Mama View Post
On a funny note, my mom has one of these signs cluttering up a shelf in her house that says "simplify".. even more funny if you know my mom, who's a bit of a hoarder and a compulsive shopper and knickknack collector. I honestly don't think it's there for motivational purposes...

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#44 of 47 Old 01-27-2010, 10:40 PM

I'm not big on the mass produced signs either BUT that being said I did get a "sign' from my grandma that says "An old hippie lives here with his flower child". Grandma bought it for us for xmas frm a store that sells all handmade things..kinda like an etsy store. So I love it on many levels. Its funny, came frm a place of love and supported a stay at home mom

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#45 of 47 Old 01-28-2010, 02:05 PM

In a similar vain, I decided to stencil "to everything there is a season" on my wall because it resonates with me, but it would have to really be true to stay in my house.
My cousin painted me an "open" sign that lives in my fairly "country" kitchen- I don't mind it.

However, bathroom or kitchen would be very over the top for me.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#46 of 47 Old 01-30-2010, 10:10 PM
pjs

Sorry Aeress, but stenciled words, almost more than the signs, are totally not my style. I think I've seen words stenciled on the walls in the Duggars' home as well as in one of the NJ housewives. I'm minimalist though and stick to family photos done in an artistic way (meaning not posed, not necessaril;y smiling, maybe half a face or a hand)
#47 of 47 Old 01-31-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan's mama View Post
So I decided to give the signs(6 in all) to a neighbor. She really likes these, and I think it fits her style more than mine. The message I'm hearing from you guys is "only keep what you love." Anyway, on a different note, one of the wooden signs said "Laundry," one said "Kitchen," and one said "Bathroom." -Why would I need a sign to remind myself I was in the laundry room, kitchen or god forbid the bathroom? Maybe if I blacked out and found myself sitting on the toilet the sign would be helpful, but seriously. Daytripper's sign says "Happily ever after," which is totally cute, but my sign says "Bathroom."
LOL! This is so funny! I have to admit that I USED to like these signs.
Now that I've read this, I have a whole new "appreciation" for these signs---I can just see myself blacking out and then waking up with unfolded laundry all over place and asking: where am I? Seeing the sign and feeling relieved,all the while thinking: good thing I wasn't in the bathroom. Good thing there's a sign here (considering the washer, dryer, Bounce, and Tide and wrinkled clothes didn't give it away)... LOL!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page