Do you like those wooden signs that say "Family," "Love," "Home?" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious. My MIL gave me some of these that she found at a garage sale during the summer, and I can't decide if I like them or not. I think they're sort of cute, but perhaps a little cheesy? Sorry if you like these, I don't mean to offend. My problem is that I can't decide if I should keep them or get rid of them. I kind of like them, but not enough that I would have bought them myself. Do you like these signs? Do you have these in your home?
#2 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not a fan; think they're kinda cheesy.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 AM

I'm also in the 'not a fan' camp

but that's just me.

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#4 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 AM

No. I really don't like them. In fact, I think they're kinda yuk.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#5 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 01:01 AM

Just ask yourself, is it within your decorating style?

Something tells me it's not because you wouldn't by them yourself.

They aren't my style....

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#6 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 01:05 AM

I think of them as clutter....although I do have one wooden sign that says "I love you to the moon and back." My husband and I have always said that to each other, and I love it!

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#7 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't like them!
#8 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 01:46 AM

Well, I thought they were kind of cool the first few times I saw them. But now EVERYONE has them, they seem really tired to me. I have a few Xmas decorations like this, one says "Winter" and has snowmen on it, and the other says "Believe" and has Santa on it. I bought them at a garage sale for .25 each. I like them because I only have to see them for about 30 days before I put them away.
#9 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 01:55 AM

I'm not a fan of much on the walls other than clocks and family photos
#10 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 10:44 AM

I like them OK, but I don't know if I'd put them up myself.
#11 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 11:04 AM

If you don't love it why look at it day after day. I apply that to pretty much all decorating choices. I put it up if I LOVE it.
#12 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 AM

I don't like them. Unless they have special meaning to you, like EricaDoula, I would classify them as clutter.
#13 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 11:42 AM

I like them in other people's houses, in mine it would just be more to dust :P

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#14 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 01:07 PM

I like them. I have one that says "Happily Ever After" that is on the wall in my living room at the end of a photo montage. It's cute. My sil has an "Amore" sign on a shelf in her living room.
I think that if they are put out in a space that blends in, they are cute but as a focal point they are cheesy.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#15 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 01:12 PM

Only keep what you love and obviously you do not love these or you would not be asking.
#16 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like them!
#17 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 01:18 PM

I liked them when I first saw them...now not so much. Because they are so common, they are just kinda cheesy to me. I'm finding I prefer less 'clutter' on the walls, even in the form of decor. When I see "decorated" rooms they just seem like too much to me. I am like a previous poster and prefer usually just clocks, family photos, etc. 1-2 nice pieces of art are fine with me too, but more than that just is too busy for me. Those signs definitely seem busy and like clutter to me.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#18 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 01:34 PM

Could someone post a picture? I have no idea what these are, probably not my style since I don't even know they exist, but boy am I curious now!

Are they wooden letters spelling the 'family', 'dream' etc, or just an engraved piece of wood? I think the letters spelling whatever are kinda nice...
#19 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 01:47 PM

I don't like them, they just don't fit into my style. I think if you are hesitant about them I'd say you probably shouldn't put them up. I agree with the PP who said that you should only decorate with things you absolutely LOVE (or ones that were a compromise with DH in my case, lol).
#20 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
I think if you are hesitant about them I'd say you probably shouldn't put them up. I agree with the PP who said that you should only decorate with things you absolutely LOVE.
. Someone has to love it and the others have to not seriously dislike it for anything to qualify in my house.

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#21 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 03:38 PM

i wouldn't be like "ew!" if i saw them in someone else's house, but i wouldn't want them for my own home. do these fit into your vision of what you want your home to be? it doesn't sound like it - but they're popular, so somebody else would probably be excited to have them!
#22 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think I know the signs you mean. What matters is whether you really like them, and have a place for any of them.

In my living room, I have zinc letters that spell out N E S T, one each on a different rung of an old wooden ladder. I've placed a small bird beside the N and a little nest beside the S. On another rung, I've placed a "Home Sweet Home" sampler, handstitched and framed by my sister. To someone else, it would all be unwanted clutter.
#23 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

So I decided to give the signs(6 in all) to a neighbor. She really likes these, and I think it fits her style more than mine. The message I'm hearing from you guys is "only keep what you love." Anyway, on a different note, one of the wooden signs said "Laundry," one said "Kitchen," and one said "Bathroom." -Why would I need a sign to remind myself I was in the laundry room, kitchen or god forbid the bathroom? Maybe if I blacked out and found myself sitting on the toilet the sign would be helpful, but seriously. Daytripper's sign says "Happily ever after," which is totally cute, but my sign says "Bathroom."
#24 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
I think I know the signs you mean. What matters is whether you really like them, and have a place for any of them.

In my living room, I have zinc letters that spell out N E S T, one each on a different rung of an old wooden ladder. I've placed a small bird beside the N and a little nest beside the S. On another rung, I've placed a "Home Sweet Home" sampler, handstitched and framed by my sister. To someone else, it would all be unwanted clutter.
ollyoxenfree, I don't think your zinc letters sound like clutter. It sounds really pretty. I think it's cool you personalized it with the old wooden ladder, too. I'd like zinc letters spelling out nest, but my letters spell out "Bathroom." And other mundane things like that!
#25 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 05:36 PM

Our bathroom door is located right next to our basement door. They are both in a little pass-through between the kitchen and living room (the staircase is above them). I'm always a little worried that a guest will misunderstand and open up the door to the basement and go tumbling down the stairs! So I can see why having a "bathroom" sign might be useful.

I think what I might do instead is put SOMETHING on the bathroom door, and just tell guests to look for that. Like a little picture, or mirror, or flowers or something.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#26 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 05:39 PM

I like them, but in small doses.

I have one sign (but it's a block of wood, with engraved letters) above the front door that says "Delight Yourself in the Lord."

Six would be too many for me!
#27 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 06:00 PM

I do, so you can send them to me

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#28 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I like real, genuine, old signs, but the mass-produced stuff not so much. I almost like them, though, so they wouldn't offend me if I saw them in someone else's house (not much would actually offend me in someone else's house, though).

If you scroll down on this page you can see some old signs in kitchens. I like that look and I like the idea of crafting something myself, but for me, the mass-produced stuff isn't as appealing. I think I like letters better so I could spell out something original like ollyoxenfree.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#29 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 07:49 PM

I am kind of in the middle. It depends on what the particular sign looks like.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#30 of 47 Old 01-25-2010, 10:09 PM

If you're not getting an immediate 'keep it' response, I'd probably pass them on. I happened to find a 'family' one in wood (painted black) and have it in my dining room because it matches the rest of the black picture frames. Ordinarily not my style, but it was on clearance and I had a place in mind for it when I bought it.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page