Going CD Free? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone done this? Anyone plan to?

I'm in the sort of mid stages of attempting to do this... though I still have about 150 discs, between computer stuff, photos, DVDs, and music that didn't upload to Lala.

I'd like to be disc free altogether (I did just get rid of about 300, though, so I'm getting there!) and would love to discuss strategy.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#2 of 19 Old 01-31-2010, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've been debating the same thing.

I have 3 moving boxes of music CDs that I haven't unpacked from our last move (an overseas relocation last year). I have been wondering whether we should just upload it all and then sell/donate the CDs, but honestly, I'm reluctant to invest that amount of time to this project. So they just sit there, because I'm also reluctant to invest money in shelving for CDs that we don't seem to miss listening to either.

I'm curious about what kind of computer storage you are thinking of using - external hard drive?
#3 of 19 Old 02-01-2010, 06:57 AM

I found someone who takes all my spare books and cds which I don´t enjoy anymore.
He sells them and then I get half of the cash he makes.

I got rid of many cds.
New music I like I just buy online. No more clutter.
#4 of 19 Old 02-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Banned

yup! we are all i pod here!

i'm considering the kindle, too, but i love books! so, i have been using the library.
#5 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 12:05 AM

What CDs we do have are in those books that hold four on a page, so we don't have any jewel cases.

Burning cd's is a pain, but if you put a stack by your computer and just do even a few a day, it gets done eventually.
-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#6 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 AM

I uploaded all of my cd's to iTunes a few years ago, recycled the jewel cases - I haven't bought a cd in at least 5 years. I did save the cd's - they are in a large cd case (8 to a page folder thingy) in my car. But my music generally comes from my iPod or the radio these days.

DVDs: I took all the kids movies out of the boxes and put them into a holder/case similar to the one I use for CD's. I didn't do the adult movies. I have a very narrow DVD shelf that fits nicely in my livingroom, so the DVD's aren't cluttered. I moved the kids movies because they were trashing the cases. Now that the cases have been in storage for a few months I'm thinking about getting rid of them altogether.

shamrocksmile.gifAmber SAHM Fiber Artist Mom to:knit.gif
Maddison (9): Arwen (8): Finn (4): Aedan (2)

stork-suprise.gif Sept 2012

#7 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 12:36 AM

Does anyone know how to go about recycling CDs? Is this even possible? I keep thinking that with our next move I will get rid of them but I just don't know what to do - most of them are scratched up and really not worth any money so I couldn't sell them. The jewel cases are recyclable? I didn't see a triangle symbol on them. I am so confused!!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#8 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

tracymom, as far as I know, CDs are not recyclable. Most of mine that are going are music, and in good shape, so we've been giving them away to friends. Since I ditched the jewel cases long ago, whatever doesn't get reused will, sadly, end up in the landfill. I can't donate them without cases.

Part of the reason that I have resisted going CD free up until now is because all hard drives crash. It's just a matter of time. And I have not relished the thought of moving all my media and other crap from one hard drive to another every time we get a new computer.

So now, what I'm trying to do is have everything stored server side (aka "cloud computing"). Which is to say, on someone else's hard drive... that is beefier and maintained by a crew of well paid IT people. And that's why I prefer Lala to iTunes, because now my music is in the cloud and accesible through any web browser. (Yes, I have heard about the great Sidekick debacle. I'm willing to take my chances. I think that my hard drive is a lot more likely to fail than a commerical server's hard drive.)

I'd also like to have all our photos scanned and uploaded into a Picasa web album, and all of our essential paperwork scanned and stored on Google Docs.

But the problem that I'm running into is stuff like, how do I reinstall Windows without the disc? I mean, there are all sorts of computers that don't have drives- thin clients and netbooks, Mac Minis and Dell Zinos- but I don't know how to reinstall the OS without a disc.

Of the 150 CDs that we still have, about 50 are music that didn't upload into Lala. Hopefully that will come with time. We have around 80 DVDs, and as more and more stuff comes to streaming Netflix, I'll let those go. A few discs of photos, which, as I said, I'd like to get into Picasa (just a matter of doing it ), but I dunno what to do about software...

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#9 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post
Does anyone know how to go about recycling CDs? Is this even possible? I keep thinking that with our next move I will get rid of them but I just don't know what to do - most of them are scratched up and really not worth any money so I couldn't sell them. The jewel cases are recyclable? I didn't see a triangle symbol on them. I am so confused!!
Some places will take CDs to recycle, but you really have to look hard to find them!

We iTunesalized all our CDs years ago and then carted the box of CDs around with us from home to home as we moved across the country. Last month I finally opened the box, went through them all, sold some to a 2nd hand store, gave most to charity and recycled the jewel cases (I am almost 100% sure we can recycle the cases in our household recycling here).

I found a charity who took all my old software CDs to recycle, so a bunch went there, all old rubbish, lots of promo CDs etc. Don't know why we kept them so long.

We still have a huge pile of personal recordable CDs that I will go through some day, not soon though, it will be a mammoth task. I'm thinking plastic bag and hammer to break them all

DVDs - we are currently copying them all onto the computer, but I think we will keep most of them for a while anyway, DVDs just look so nice! We may sell/donate some too though, if they are not favourites.

lady.gifLittlepixie Nov'06 & jog.gif our little monkey Jan'11

#10 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 02:13 PM

It's well worth it, we are working on this as well. I am definitely not buying anymore although dh still does on occasion, and I am also not buying anymore books, just electronic. Part of what helps me is that while I am a huge book lpver and dh is a huge music lover, I really dislike bookshelves and cd shelves, they just look like clutter to me and collect dust!
#11 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, GearGirl, absolutely. ITA. I have one very lovely bookshelf/cabinet, and once I have gone CD free, my next project is going to be buying an ereader and culling my physical book collection down to what fits on my nice bookshelf. It will be for books that are beautiful and irreplaceable- hardcover, heavily illustrated childrens' classics, stuff that's been signed by the author, etc.

#12 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post
Our Best Buy recycles them. I have a large bag I need to drop off there. I also have a huge pile of cds that I can't seem to part with, but never listen to and don't have the time to upload them to my itunes.

Mama to Kage (12/07) and Ember (6/09)
#13 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 08:17 PM

There are a lot of kids' crafts that use CDs.

We use an external hard drive which is also a media server - we have an internet radio that can play files off the server. So now we can listen to any music in our collection anywhere in the house or yard, with no CD hassles and great sound quality. It is much more convenient (and kid-friendly - when we were using a CD player my kids kept opening and closing the tray and playing with the CDs; CD player broke and discs got scratched).
#14 of 19 Old 02-05-2010, 12:38 PM

For empty CD and DVD cases, I've Freecycled big boxes of them or donated them individually to libraries (who seem to be happy to take them in order to replace broken ones).
#15 of 19 Old 02-05-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
Yes, GearGirl, absolutely. ITA. I have one very lovely bookshelf/cabinet, and once I have gone CD free, my next project is going to be buying an ereader and culling my physical book collection down to what fits on my nice bookshelf. It will be for books that are beautiful and irreplaceable- hardcover, heavily illustrated childrens' classics, stuff that's been signed by the author, etc.
I LOVE my Kindle! Thing with going CD free, though, is you need to make sure you back up your digital collection somehow. Either with an external drive or "in the cloud" such as Mozy (I LOVE Mozy!).

I've heard way too many stories of people ripping all their music to their hard drive, getting rid of the CDs, and then the hard drive going - with no back up.

Most of my music is now on my laptop, but I kept the CDs (now in a binder). I have some iTunes purchases, but not too much.

lady.gif
#16 of 19 Old 02-05-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, my goal is not need a hard drive. That's why I went with Lala. All my music is stored in the cloud. (Well, almost all of it. I still have about 50 CDs- down from over 300!- of music that Lala didn't have, but once I go through and narrow it down to songs, I'll burn "mix" CDs from my hard drive, and then only have about 20-25 CDs.)

I want us to get by with netbooks. That's part of the reason I waited so long to rip my CDs. It never made sense to me that you had to log onto iTunes and then still have all your music stored on your hard drive. I was like, Say What? Especially after experiencing Pandora.

#17 of 19 Old 02-06-2010, 10:37 AM

Im trying to declutter my computer so I try to limit my iTunes purchases (Im also saving so it helps with being frugal too). Before if I heard a song I liked I would buy it so I could listen to it a million times. Now I just go on YouTube and download it. I can keep it all day without using any more internet quota (ie dont even have to be online as long as I leave the webpage open). And listen to it as much as I want. I tend to get bored with the song pretty quickly and can always go back to YouTube whenever and listen to it for free. That way my iTunes only has my very favorite songs I want access to all the time. So thats another idea once you've stopped buying CD's
#18 of 19 Old 02-06-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
Yes, my goal is not need a hard drive. That's why I went with Lala. All my music is stored in the cloud. (Well, almost all of it. I still have about 50 CDs- down from over 300!- of music that Lala didn't have, but once I go through and narrow it down to songs, I'll burn "mix" CDs from my hard drive, and then only have about 20-25 CDs.)

I want us to get by with netbooks. That's part of the reason I waited so long to rip my CDs. It never made sense to me that you had to log onto iTunes and then still have all your music stored on your hard drive. I was like, Say What? Especially after experiencing Pandora.
This is a good idea in theory, but aren't you worried about Lala going out of business? What happens to your music then?
#19 of 19 Old 02-07-2010, 03:50 AM

Wow, I would love to go CD free. Right now we have all our CD's in albums, pretty organized and labeled with our names even (um...I have an organizing problem...). The thing is that we have every single CD on our iTunes which is then backed up to an external hard drive. Unless both my computer and hard drive get struck by lightening at the same time, I feel pretty good about my music being backed up. Still...it's really hard for me to imagine getting rid of them...why is that?

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page