Scanning Paperwork and Photos - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We got rid of our filing cabinet a couple years ago, and thanks to merciless decluttering on my part, we have about 4" of documents left (mortgage docs, taxes, etc.).

We also have a photo box full of pictures (well, two, actually, but one is doubles).

Since I got rid of 300 CDs this week, I'm feeling inspired to cut down on this stuff as well, and I've been looking at scanners. I'd like a flat bed that can do paper and photos. (I called a print shop about scanning the stuff for us, and they quoted me a price of $5 PER PAGE! So that's not happening.)

Has anyone else done this? How long did it take you? How much should I spend on the scanner?

My ultimate goal here is to get all of our media "in the cloud" and not have to have shelves and stuff to organize it all, nor multiple hard drives that I have to worry about crashing.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 11:32 PM

We went digital a little at a time, used a flatbed scanner, which is a real pain compared to what you're probably considering.

I know 3 businesses using a Fujitsu, a Canon and a Xerox, all document-feeding scanners for under $400 that will do multi-page scans, can prompt for double-sided, can handle legal, do fine with pics or docs. The scanner will last about 3-4 years w/moderately heavy use. Good place to shop: nextag.com just search for "sheetfed scanners" and don't buy anything that costs less than $300 (in my 'umble opinion).

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:40 AM

Leta, another idea, for the stuff you currently have -

Does your DH work in an office with a big copier/scanner that he might be able to access on lunch or before/after work? The one my office has can put multiple pages into one PDF file and then the file gets sent to my work email. I then forward whatever I've scanned to my home email account. I don't do this very often, but once in a while. I do have a $100 HP printer/scanner/copier at home that works fine for scanning the odd picture or 1-2 page documents, but not anything bigger since it puts 1 page per PDF.

lady.gif

User Tag List