Mattress on Floor, room design (X-posted in The Family Bed) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure where this would go.

We're moving in a couple of months and we're thinking of getting rid of our box springs and frame before the move and just having our mattress on the floor because we sleep with our 22 month old and in the summer, we'll have a newborn.

I'm curious- if you have a similar set up, what does it look like? Can it look nice or will it always look like you're living in a dorm? If anyone has pictures of a nice-looking room with a mattress on the floor, I'd be interested.

Mommy to DD March 2008, DS July 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our family bed used to look like this. We recently stopped "officially" cosleeping, but when we did I loved having a mattress on the floor. The children loved it too and the mostly empty bedroom actually had a ton of play value with the kids jumping, nesting, building blanket forts, playing with pillows, etc. Good memories.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#3 of 12 Old 02-05-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowmom View Post
Our family bed used to look like this. We recently stopped "officially" cosleeping, but when we did I loved having a mattress on the floor. The children loved it too and the mostly empty bedroom actually had a ton of play value with the kids jumping, nesting, building blanket forts, playing with pillows, etc. Good memories.
Absolutely! I took apart our bed frame and recycled it and donated our box spring when dd was a baby because I was just so tired of it being so high and not kid-friendly in the least. Plus I stubbed my toes on the wooden corners of the frame countless times in the dark, yowch.

I love minimalism for all the peace of mind it gives me, and a mattress on the floor fits in perfectly with that. It never occurred to me to just go ahead and have the bed on the floor until I read Leo Babauta's article about a minimalist home (http://zenhabits.net/2007/08/a-guide...nimalist-home/), and I was all, Of course! It is wonderful and fun and cozy and easy and I wouldn't have it any other way. We used to have a queen bed on the floor and for almost two years we've had a king now, and it is so, so nice. The bedroom is just heaven to me. It's safe to jump around it, roll around in and I love it. Our dd clearly does too.

All I've got in the bedroom is the bed, a Big Agnes double sleeping bag (best Ever) and pillow on the floor next to it (it just gets played in usually, and it's just kind of there), two meditation cushions, a lamp on the floor in the corner and my dh's alarm on the floor next to that. This is the biggest bedroom I've ever had, so there is a lot of space for all of that. We'll have a much smaller bedroom in a cabin soon, and we'll have to have the bed raised onto -something- because of the -40 degree weather in winter, but I love having a mattress on the floor in our apt building here.

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#4 of 12 Old 02-05-2010, 03:42 PM

I believe the reason for having a platform or slats under a mattress is not only for support, but for air circulation around the mattress. I would think just having it on the floor wouldn't allow for that and if not having air circulation would allow for any moisture build up it could cause your mattress to get funky. Unless you're thinking of a futon that can be picked up, moved around and aired out.
#5 of 12 Old 02-05-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlyn View Post
I believe the reason for having a platform or slats under a mattress is not only for support, but for air circulation around the mattress. I would think just having it on the floor wouldn't allow for that and if not having air circulation would allow for any moisture build up it could cause your mattress to get funky. Unless you're thinking of a futon that can be picked up, moved around and aired out.
We'll look into that. We have a memory foam mattress which isn't supposed to be on a box spring anyway (it's bad for the foam) so we have a layer of plywood in between the box spring and the mattress. Pretty much the only reason we have the box spring is for height.

#6 of 12 Old 02-05-2010, 07:21 PM

A long time ago I saw a picture in a magazine of a bedroom with the mattress on the floor, and a sheer canopy hanging over it. It looked really beautiful.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

#7 of 12 Old 02-06-2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlyn View Post

Definitely true - this is why Asians who have floor mattresses store them during the day - if you just leave them in one place in a humid environment, they will get moldy/musty.
#8 of 12 Old 02-06-2010, 01:44 PM

We use a very low Ikea style frame from West Elm, without box springs, just the slats. It is the best of both worlds to me, not on the floor, but very low. I wouldn't want a mattress on the floor for many of the reasons posted, but a futon that was folded up, maybe placed down on mats would be cool!
#9 of 12 Old 02-06-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm. I don't know if I could get a low frame for our Cal King mattress- I don't know if they make them in that size. Maybe we'll keep our box springs and not the frame. However, our mattress is 14 inches thick. We'd be already pretty high off the floor without another 4 inches (especially with a newborn). Hmm..

#10 of 12 Old 02-07-2010, 05:11 AM

I found this pic on a blog that I like (the blogger is a MDC mama):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lLBGcgm1ek...ybedwestst.jpg

I think it looks so nice and cozy!

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#11 of 12 Old 02-07-2010, 06:23 AM
Banned

i don't have pictures! but, i think it looked nice.

be sure that you put some boards under the mattress--it needs to be able to breathe. just a number of 2x4s is fine.

the main thing is to make the bed each day and keep the furniture very simple.
#12 of 12 Old 02-07-2010, 03:54 PM

I agree with the air circulation. Right now my son's mattress is on the floor but during the day I lean it against the wall - it airs it out and gives him more play space. His is full size though and easy to handle - might be harder with a queen or king.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page