Extras that add up - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-08-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We seem to have an enormous number of "extra" projects that we always have going on. There's always something to fix, paint, replace, etc. Is this normal??? I'm starting to feel nuts.

We have an area downstairs, which I've posted about before. We finally know what we want to do with it, but getting to the point of doing it? Ugh. I can't even think about it. I feel that to do the extras, we have to let the daily stuff go for a bit. (I DO NOT do well with a "30 minutes a day" routine.) We have sent the kids to the ILs for the weekend before and spent it doing extras, but I'd really like a weekend with DH to spend together without doing chores.

How do you handle these things? I need some kind of action plan that works better than the "when we get time" thing I have going now.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-08-2010, 02:42 PM

We have been in this situation many times. As home owners, it happens! Add a family into the mix. Well you know....

We call Labor Day weekend a true laboring weekend because DH always just spends it getting all the stuff we wanted to do all summer long done. Usually its a bunch of little things that needed to get done. Such as painting trim, replacing a few loose tiles, edging the patio, you get it. We both work it and it gets done.

DH usually sets a timetable to get something done where we have little projects to do. A lot of times I wont let him start something else unless the last project is completely done. That is usually motivation.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#3 of 5 Old 02-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Well, that's normal for my house. But we're pretty handy so there's always something we're trying to improve. DH finally finished redoing the whole main bathroom. Now we've got to finish up the entry area and other parts. We're to the point that we just need to finish what we started instead of coming up with so many big ideas.

Awesome SAHM to 5-yr-old son,3-yr-old girl and a baby girl. Blog about my home http://azaleastudio.blogspot.com
#4 of 5 Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarbebe View Post
We're to the point that we just need to finish what we started instead of coming up with so many big ideas.
That's us, too, in a lot of ways. Perhaps a timetable would help. We bought an older home with this (naive) idealistic notions of what it would be like to redo the house together - weekends painting and sawing. Yeah. That got old really fast. All but 2 of the major repairs are done. One is scheduled for later this month (new windows in the sunroom). The other we have to get someone out for this spring. It's the roof. We did some work, but there's still some leaking when we have major precipitation.

What we're left with are pretty much painting rooms, replacing some quarter-round, etc. But the den downstairs needs a complete overhaul, and the kitchen could use some work.

More than the house, though, it seems I've tried to simplify but there are always errands. More and more errands. And just little to do stuff that has to get done. Many days I think we're doing something *wrong* because we're never caught up despite the fact that we work on these things all.the.time.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#5 of 5 Old 02-08-2010, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have an older house with MANY renovations on the go. We've done the big things now but there are a LOT of finishing touches & smaller projects to do.

I'm like you - I don't do well with "baby steps" but I'm trying to get over that 'cause it is the only realistic way for me to get these things done now. For this year I am trying to do 52 projects - one a week. It's not working out perfectly to one a week, some weeks we've done two & some only 1/2 of one. I'm including it on my blog so it's helping to keep me motivated to keep going.

I'm also trying to find ways to include ds while we do them (or at least not need him to be asleep or gone from the house). It definitely takes longer with ds in the mix & we have to be more cautious as we work but it keeps him entertained for quite awhile "helping" us & we are getting things done.

This past weekend we put together the last 2 cabinets for our kitchen. I gave ds a paintbrush ('cause he really wanted a screwdriver like me) & let him help pound in nails with it. He stayed right with me involved the whole time.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page