MOVING ~ best motivator EVER! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow -- I have 3 weeks to pack up our 780 sq. ft. house that me and my 3 daughters live in to move into our new home that is 1250 sq. ft. and will house the 4 of us plus a new baby come the end of March...

and I love that moving has inspired me to get rid of so much STUFF!!! there is a huge pile accumulating near the front door for pick up by a local charity on Wed. and it's very rewarding to know that the only stuff that I'll be unpacking is stuff that we want or need, stuff that will be cherished or used!

I think I'm easily getting rid of 2010 in 2010!!!

YAY!!
#2 of 10 Old 02-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Banned

i love how moving does that too! congratulations on your new place and i hope you have a stress-free, relaxing move.
#3 of 10 Old 02-09-2010, 04:30 PM

I'm right there with you! We are moving in 16 days and I was hoping to get to 2010 by then. It's great to be able to pack boxes at the same time knowing that only items that are needed and loved are going to the new home. Congrats and good luck on the move.
#4 of 10 Old 02-09-2010, 05:28 PM

It's a great feeling isn't it?

We are moving again in July 2010 and I am preparing from now.

âAdvertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy stuff we don't need.â
#5 of 10 Old 02-16-2010, 02:21 AM

im right there with you ladies too! moving in less than 60 days from GA to NY!!! i have a really big box in the baby's room and when ever i come across something that we don't need it goes there and when it's full it will go to the goodwill. I don't consider us having a cludder problem at all, but i want to keep it that way. We are also doing this as a DITY move (do it yourself, its an Army thing) so if I come to a piont where im not sure, i just think about if it's worth all that gas, time and effort to drag it all the way up north. It feels so good to shed stuff even thought i don't feel that we have too much. it's less things i have to clean, pick up and move around. I never imagined moving would feel this good, and i was an army brat my whole childhood, i never got it until now that im the army wife.

dreadlock mom to Israel 01/23/07bikenew.gif & Titus 07/10/09kid.gif

#6 of 10 Old 02-16-2010, 05:57 PM

We've moved 7 times in just over 8 yrs. Every time we move we get rid of stuff. And I still end up unpacking things and wondering why in the world I still have it! We are moving again at the end of the summer, and I would really like to get us organized this time, so we don't have to "purge" every time we move anymore!!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#7 of 10 Old 02-16-2010, 11:55 PM

All of my friends think I am crazy because I love moving...just because it forces you to sort through all of your stuff. Sometimes you can try so hard to live a clutter-free life and still discover that you have a ton of extra stuff when you are forced to sort through it all.

Enjoy your new home!
#8 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 02:49 PM

When DH and I moved a couple of years ago we had a week to do so (obviously a last min decision) It was AMAZING how much crap we threw out and donated. We kept asking ourselves, "Why did we hold on to this?" It was the best motivator we've ever had!

Congrats on the new place and the motivation!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#9 of 10 Old 02-17-2010, 03:38 PM

Good luck! I bet it will feel great to be able to stretch out in your new home.

I'm doing the same thing - moving in about a month - but I'm going from tiny house to tiny house that I'm sharing with my ILs.

SAHM to a crazy little boy (4.5) and a silly little girl (3) and my VBA2C babe
#10 of 10 Old 02-18-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
We've moved 7 times in just over 8 yrs. Every time we move we get rid of stuff. And I still end up unpacking things and wondering why in the world I still have it! We are moving again at the end of the summer, and I would really like to get us organized this time, so we don't have to "purge" every time we move anymore!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page