My laundry epiphany... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 02-10-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've recently started to do my laundry differently...and since I am a total dork...I'm proud of myself over it. I figured I'd share my revelation with my fellows on this board:

I used to do laundry and just throw it on the couch in the studio upstairs until it was all done at which time I'd either ignore it or fold it, usually the first option. Being that it was in such a large pile, it all, inevitably, got very wrinkly and by the time I'd get it folded, resembled wadded up kleenex. Plus DH would go searching for his jeans or whathaveyou over at the couch and just decide to change there so after days of this going on the line between clean clothes and dirty clothes was very blurry...

NOW I'm doing laundry 1 load at a time and folding it as it comes out of the dryer right on top of the dryer and washer. It's totally in my way there so I then PUT. IT. AWAY. Isn't that a novel concept? My laundry no longer resembles wadded up paper, the couch is clear for DS to listen to his audio books on, and DH puts his dirty laundry in the hamper instead of the studio floor (well...mostly...but that's another battle...).

Just wanted to share this with people who will understand both my psychosis and my joy.

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#2 of 35 Old 02-10-2010, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I always fold straight out of the dryer. But then the clothes sit in baskets until we wear them. I was thinking about replacing my dressers with some kind of basket system where the baskets would sit on shelves. Then they'd always be put away. And I'd do laundry segregated by person. That way all my clothes would be together in one basket, dh's in his basket, etc. And we'd just put the basket on the shelf and be done.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 35 Old 02-10-2010, 05:16 PM

I've made a rule for myself that I can't start any new loads until the clean ones are put away. I totally appreciate your psychosis and your joy.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#4 of 35 Old 02-10-2010, 05:54 PM

We hang most of our clothes, so I had the brilliant idea to put up a shower curtain rod in the laundry room, and hang the clothes straight as i was pulling them out of the dryer. Then I could just take all the already-hanged clothed upstairs.

Yeah. Seemed like a great idea.

I ended up living off of that rod.

Until if fell down from the weight of all the clothes.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#5 of 35 Old 02-10-2010, 06:49 PM

I always have folded straight out of the dryer. Otherwise, your clothes get all wrinkly and you can't tell what's dirty and what's clean.

Welcome to the Direct Folding Club! :-)

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#6 of 35 Old 02-10-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
We hang most of our clothes, so I had the brilliant idea to put up a shower curtain rod in the laundry room, and hang the clothes straight as i was pulling them out of the dryer. Then I could just take all the already-hanged clothed upstairs.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#7 of 35 Old 02-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Banned

i'm an immediate folder now too. i don't divide the wash though yet. we just don't produce enough to make a full load of "whites."
#8 of 35 Old 02-11-2010, 12:36 AM

Yep. Dump it somewhere you can't tolerate the pile!

I either dump it on my favorite chair or on the dining room table. I'm very motivated to clear that mess asap! Much better than years ago, when I dumped it in a laundry basket in my bedroom--only for it to sit there until permanently rumpled

also motivating is a mischievous toddler who will destroy neatly folded piles if they are left out for more than 5 minutes!
#9 of 35 Old 02-11-2010, 01:10 AM
Banned

it's true. if i don't put things away right away, he's in them and wearing my underwear around his neck. i *must* put it away.

right now, that means immediately putting it in the suitcase and zipping it up, but when we move into our apartment, i'm repurposing the stuff our bedding came in to keep my clothes because the closet has pretty nice cubbies. i just have to put the right things into the right zipper thing. DH will have wire drawers again. he loved those.

quite literally, our bedroom will be just the bed and a lamp.
#10 of 35 Old 02-11-2010, 10:38 AM

I'm a direct-folder, but not an immediate-folder. But, if you leave stuff in the dryer, you can throw in a wet washcloth and fluff them before you do get around to folding them, and they're almost as good as if you had folded them immediately.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#11 of 35 Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post
I'm a direct-folder, but not an immediate-folder. But, if you leave stuff in the dryer, you can throw in a wet washcloth and fluff them before you do get around to folding them, and they're almost as good as if you had folded them immediately.
Dont enable us!
#12 of 35 Old 02-11-2010, 11:12 AM

I had the exact same epiphany a couple of months ago. It has improved my life so much! Even if I can't put stuff away immediately (eg kids are sleeping in their rooms), the clothes stay neat and folded.

The other part of this that made a difference was that I stopped using a laundry basket to transport things. When I put the folded clothes in the basket, I would just end up leaving them there indefinitely. Then I would grab clothes out of the basket as I needed them and the folding would get messed up. It was only marginally better than having a pile on the couch! Now I carry piles of clothes in from the laundry (in our attached garage) and immediately put them away. It might seem less efficient, but it forces my to put the clothes away.

Trying to get my bearings...
#13 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 01:37 AM

I just don't fold. Onthe grand list of chores, I'm sorry, but that task fell below the yellow line, and was voted out of the game. Clothes go into the basket, and then directly into drawers.

CPST
#14 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 05:47 AM

We're headed there, I just have to work out a system so I can fit everything into the drawers unfolded. Once I get that sorted we wont be folding either! A lot of the clothes I just hang now as its easier to do that than fold. You can put them straight on the hanger standing up, and dont need a surface to fold them on. Also we wash every day and I cant stand making a million different piles for every different thing, socks/tops/bottoms etc etc and then a different one for each person UGH! With the hangers I can just pop on or two items at a time easily.
#15 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 11:30 AM

I, otoh, discovered that if t-shirts and jeans don't wrinkle enough jumbled in a laundry basket to make me care about wearing them, then they also don't get wrinkled enough jumbled in a drawer for me to care either. So I stopped folding and started just putting away.

It does mean they take up more room in the drawer, but that helps self-limit the amount of clothes I have.
#16 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie'sMom View Post
Even if I can't put stuff away immediately (eg kids are sleeping in their rooms), the clothes stay neat and folded.
No cats? Lucky!

Because that was the other thing, I'd get things folded, get distracted and not be able to put them away, and end up needing to refold them and ugh!
#17 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 11:42 AM

I have had a laundry success in my house lately also. Each person has their own laundry basket or hamper, and there is a basket just for whites. It's so easy to do laundry now! It takes me 2 seconds to pick out all of the dark clothes from each person's basket, then I wash those, put them in a basket, dump the basket on the bed and fold right away, and put them in the dressers right in front of me.

All that's left are the bright colored clothes, which I wash together and fold on the bed also.

Then I do the whites.

It's so much simpler than when I had a huge communal laundry pile that spanned over multiple baskets. It took me ages to pick through and sort laundry. We could never find anything, clean dirty clothes were always piled everywhere. Now everything is always clean, and I just do laundry on Mondays and don't think about it any other day of the week!

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#18 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 12:52 PM

I fold right out of the dryer but then things sit folded in a basket for ages. Usually until someone goes rumpling through the basket to find something and I have to refold everything.

This week I'm trying something new. I'm just doing each person's laundry separately. That way everything in the basket goes only to one room. I also added to my nighttime routine to put away clean laundry. My oldest puts away her own so that is a break on the days I do her laundry. It's working so far.
#19 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 02:17 PM

Hmm...I like this idea. I am terrible about procrastinating folding the laundry because it is my least favorite chore. I wonder if that would work for me. The only issue is that the washer and dryer are in the basement and I'm not sure what I'd do with the toddler while I was folding

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#20 of 35 Old 02-14-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post

This is TOTALLY us. We were putting away clothes the other day, and DH was like "yeah... this rod is totally going to fall down. See here? It's almost pulled the screw out of the wall." (points to place where the rod is being supported now by about 1mm of plastic)

And then we shrugged and carried on our way. Hasn't fallen down yet...

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#21 of 35 Old 02-14-2010, 01:24 PM

Isn't it funny when you have an epiphany that is so OBVIOUS? I did that last year, but with dishes. "Gee, if I wash these dishes after every meal, then they don't pile up until we have no clean dishes."

Doy. My mom told me that for 15 years, and I'm like, "Yeah, but I hate doing dishes." Now I do dishes so many times a day, BECAUSE I hate doing dishes. That way I'm never doing them for more than 15 minutes at a time.

I fold laundry on my bed watching TV. It's cold in my laundry room so I don't linger. But watching American Idol or Dr. Phil or Oprah is a great way to get the laundry done, and I usually don't even notice that I'm working. But I never take the clothes into my room until I'm ready to fold them, or they'll sit for days.
#22 of 35 Old 02-14-2010, 01:34 PM

I fold laundry on my bed, so it has to be put away. Luckily the kids are old enough to put their own away (well, the 9 yo is, the 15 is still years away from it ). And I don't match their socks - they go in their pile and they sort them if they so wish.
#23 of 35 Old 02-14-2010, 03:28 PM

That's what I do, too, only I use my kitchen island to fold
#24 of 35 Old 02-14-2010, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My laundry epiphany was to teach my oldest two how to their laundry. I supervise of course but they wash, dry, put away and fold their own as well as their little sister's. It has dramatically helped with our laundry mountain. I also hang clothes as I fold them. I used to fold them, then take them in the bedrooms and un-fold them to hang them up. Seemed to be a waste of time to me.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#25 of 35 Old 02-15-2010, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

I'm loving that this thread has reached 2 pages!

I've also realized that I can't direct fold into a laundry basket...or it'll sit. I have to do it directly on top of the washer or dryer so it's TOTALLY in my way... and THEN I'll actually put it away in a timely fashion.

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#26 of 35 Old 02-16-2010, 02:09 AM

Another laundry epiphany? I hang EVERYTHING. I used to only hang "nice" things, and as a result my closet was almost empty, my drawers stuffed full, and I hate to fold. Now I hang t-shirts, sweatshirts, everything. And me and the kids share a closet, so it's soooo easy to put everything away. (Another reason why I fold in our bedroom is to access the closet.)

I still have to fold DH's (10 million ) t-shirts, and the towels and such, but at least I never have to fold clothes for me or the kids. Makes laundry so much more pleasant for me.
#27 of 35 Old 02-19-2010, 02:20 AM

I don't mind folding at all... but I HATE putting things in drawers! I usually have neatly folded laundry in a basket in the living room at all times. I put it away when I need the basket for the next load... sigh

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#28 of 35 Old 02-19-2010, 08:24 PM

Well I would do this if I actually had a washer and dryer inside my house. I am reallllly looking forward to moving!!!

Is it weird that I am so excited to be able to do laundry?

No more piles of clothes, no more hassles, I can hardly contain my joy.
#29 of 35 Old 02-20-2010, 01:41 AM

I'm a direct folder, too, and I also only own ONE laundry basket. That way I must put all the clothes away before the next load is done.
#30 of 35 Old 02-20-2010, 02:05 AM

I had the same revelation a year ago! I now go back and forth between direct folding and leaving it rumpled in a basket for awhile. It is so much easier to fold directly from the dryer but not always feasible for me. My littlest one, for some reason, sees folded laundry and immediately thinks it should be strewn throughout the house so when he is around I can't fold. He listens to me about most other things but something about folded laundry hits his crazy button. My DH has asked me a million times why the laundry hasn't gotten folded. One night DH actually got a basket out and tried to fold it while the kids were awake. He learned very quickly that you can get some folded and then youngest DS just snaps and starts grabbing clothes. It is so weird.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page